January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Another "new gem design app" thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:56 am 
Valued Contributor

Konami code? Is this up down left right a b start ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:05 pm 
Valued Contributor

justinkprim wrote:
Konami code? Is this up down left right a b start ?

A few more moves! Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

B9 CORE
Ultratec V5 Digital

http://www.hewngoods.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:11 pm 

So great to see that the app has been released! Congratulations Rej on all your hard work and getting it done. Bought my key with no issues! =D>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:28 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi Rej,
yes key and everything works fine, so no problem from this side.

Rej wrote:
arglthesheep wrote:
@Rej,
how does the "My Account" work?
I ordered any paid. IN the payment it says I can manage my Keys at My Account.
But I am not able to logg in as I wasn´t asked any logindata while payment process...
Using lost password is also not working as he states my mail is not known ;)
so what should I do ;)
Thank you

Indeed, I was told by my web guy that was all fixed but I just went through a test purchase myself and see got the exact same result as you. :evil:

I'll see if it can be fixed, but I might just remove it all together. I'd rather not store anyone's personal information on my website and I can always be reached if ever you can't find your key in the future.

Just to confirm, you were able to register your copy using the information in the email, right?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:33 pm 
Gold Member

Anyway, this software deserves praise also from the "open file" window with the little thumbnails preview of the designs.
You have no idea about the time I wasted searching for "that design I made six months ago, maybe hexagonal... called "hexsomething minibarion qtz version X"... and which version of the dozen I've saved?".

I do like the cutting approach, rendering, optimization and all. BUT THAT PREVIEW IS GOLD! :mrgreen:

Only thing I miss so far is to be able to label the tiers in the design window. i.e. to know which tier is a, b, etc. without clicking on the tier of the list. I'm used cut keeping GemCad open, and this "problem" is solved if I cut with the pdf of the design. So it's just a matter of habit, I guess.

Anyway: great. I also like the option of introducing my own light environment for the renderings, but I still have to try it.

And one last thing: the parameters for the materials of simulating the different gemstones are really well set. In my past renderings it took quite a few attempts to get something realistic I liked.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:24 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Rej wrote:
Hi everyone, just joined up a few days ago but I've been following this board for a while now.

It seems every couple of months, there's a new thread about writing an updated app to design gems, with awesome, long feature lists and big ideas but then the thread dies and no app comes out...

I come to you today with a different approach. First, I've already got a functional prototype, with all major technical hurdles out of the way. I wouldn't be wasting your time if I wasn't 100% confident this will see the light of day. I write software tools for a living, this is not my first project :wink:

What I'd like to discuss is establishing a minimum feature set. Part of the problem with making a new design app is you're obviously going up against GemCad/GemRay. Those represent YEARS of work so they're pretty feature-packed. To compete, you'd either have to work silently for years and pop up with a complete replacement, or work your way up to their feature set over time. You can guess that I've chosen the latter.

My main goal is lowering the bar to entry, and to make the process more fun, more akin to actually faceting! This is achieved by a single app with a visual interface and immediate results. What I mean by this is you start cutting a facet, you see the result on your plan view as well as a raytraced output, even the cutting instructions. You change angle, depth, index or symmetry and you see how the cut would look before committing to it. You change the stone R.I. or colour and you see the final rendering change as you slide the value. You tweak tangent ratio, not by learning which angles work best for each design, but by visually seeing the result on the stone you'd be cutting.

Hopefully the following paragraph has sparked some excitement within some of you, I know I'm pretty excited about it!

I also want to make easier for people to share designs, straight from the app, maybe even directly to the Gemology Project (admins, interested? I just read the steps required to post a design here from GemCad :shock: ) Of course that raises questions about the "morality" of potentially a whole bunch of people flooding the place with designs that haven't been proof-cut but that's another discussion.

Now I've only been faceting for a few months, and even less time with GemCad/Ray. I've learned both apps well enough to use them but I'd like to put a call out to the pros around here, or at least the people who work with GemCad/Ray a LOT. (paging Dr Ahkavan, Mr Voltolini, Gem Ranger who I believe lives only a few KM from me, and anyone else I might have missed) I'd like to call on your experience with the software to narrow it down to the steps you ALWAYS take when doing new designs. If you had to cut out 75% of what those apps do, what would remain?

Hopefully the question isn't too open-ended and you see where I'm going with this. I'm not ready for an open beta yet but if any of the people mentioned above would like to see what I've got and try it, send me a PM. I would have bugged you privately myself but: new user = can't send PMs :( . At the very least you can then vouch for me to prove I'm not lying, without me having to reveal my whole deck just yet.

I don't want to exclude anyone either. I'd appreciate any input on the subject. Looking forward to your feedback.
Thanks, and greetings!

Rej - Brisbane, Australia

Could I try your new software? I don't have enough antiquity fo PM's

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:01 pm 
Valued Contributor

HI

Have a look there

https://gemcutstudio.com/

Martin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:41 pm 
Gold Member

I have tried the software again after being distracted with other projects.

I know that it may be to late, but if you are still tinkering.......

I have a lot of my files on the cloud, since I have lost some hard drives. At least I do not loose the files.

I find it hard to get to my cloud files. I can navigate to my files on the C drive, but it has trouble finding other cloud based files. I am using PC, and I am currently using one drive, but it coyuld also be others.

Any chance of getting to these files?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:42 am 
Valued Contributor

Im using a mac so it might not work the same but I have an alias link to my cloud drive on the desktop so I can navigate to the desktop inside of the app and then find the way into the cloud drive.

I have two computers that I design gems from, so I like keeping them synced on the cloud. I tried to make the default design gem cut studio folder in a cloud drive but the software won't let me do that. But to go find ones I already uploaded, no problem.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:36 pm 
Gold Member

I was recently trying to enter a cutting diagram and wanted to control the cutting order.

Basically I wanted to cut 4 facets to establish the center. Then I would cut the rest of the pavilion facets.
It is a rectangle, so the P1 facets are at off indexes.

I was able to cut the first 4 facets, but when I added more, it kept adding it to the same row. in an order that I did not want.

Is there a way to force it to let me control where facets at the same angle are added?

I tried to identify the first 4 as a preform, but other indexes were still added in an order that I cannot control.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:43 am 

Hello,
Just yesterday I found out about your new app Rej. Pretty nice App overall I must say, may actually become THE next GemCutting tool for the industry.

I did have a question/observation for you if you are still active in this forum. The rendering calculations done by your program, specially in regard to color don't seem right to me. It does not seem to accumulate color the way I expect to see in real life. For example the color returned in areas where the light ray has bounce several times inside the stone seems to become a more saturated a lot quicker than its counterpart in gemRay and real life. Perhaps I should take some screenshots and photos to visually present what I am seeing...

Great program anyway. Will buy it for sure. Oh are you ever planning to add pleochroism into your raytracer? diamCalc said they were planning to add it once, but recently I asked about it and said they dropped that idea :(

cheers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:22 am 
Valued Contributor

TheL wrote:
Hello,
Just yesterday I found out about your new app Rej. Pretty nice App overall I must say, may actually become THE next GemCutting tool for the industry.

I did have a question/observation for you if you are still active in this forum. The rendering calculations done by your program, specially in regard to color don't seem right to me. It does not seem to accumulate color the way I expect to see in real life. For example the color returned in areas where the light ray has bounce several times inside the stone seems to become a more saturated a lot quicker than its counterpart in gemRay and real life. Perhaps I should take some screenshots and photos to visually present what I am seeing...

Hi. Sorry for the late reply, I tend to spread myself a bit thin over various social platforms...

For color, yes I know what you mean. It's been tricky balancing what the math says it should do and what looks right. What you see currently is a compromise I came up with. Normally, light is meant to follow the inverse square law, which means it should get dark very quick as a function of distance bouncing around the gem. But computer monitors compensate for the fact that our eyes are better at picking out contrast in dark things using gamma curves. The end result is a whole bunch of modeling, counter-modeling and corrections. I'm hoping to improve this in the future...

TheL wrote:
Great program anyway. Will buy it for sure. Oh are you ever planning to add pleochroism into your raytracer? diamCalc said they were planning to add it once, but recently I asked about it and said they dropped that idea :(
cheers

Definitely, it's mostly done, I just need to wrap it up in a nice user interface. Here are two examples. The first is dichroic, closed-C tourmaline. So green in two directions, but super dark green in the C direction

The next is a ridiculous trichroic test using Red / Green / Blue for the respective axis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:37 pm 

Absolutely amazing!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:43 pm 
Gold Member

Very cool stuff. Congratulations on some fine work.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:50 am 
Valued Contributor

Wow - even dichroism... and trichroism!!!

OK - before the end of the year I will be congratulating you by buying the darned thing. Haven't quite figured how to read your renderings like I have in GemRay, but I will get it figured. Got some "unexpected" results back when my trial was going... But I see this as a very useful tool.

Facetron x2
Polymetrics OMF
GemCad/GemRay/Gem Cut Studio
Matrix 9/Rhino 5, 6, 7
REVO A (still hanging on...)
B9 Creator Core 5 Series XL
Indutherm MC-15

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next