January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Another "new gem design app" thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:37 pm 
Platinum Member

No, I'm trying to cut the facet that would meet at left side of the red line. I GemCAD there is a way to do this.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:43 pm 
Valued Contributor

I see. How would you do it in gemcad?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:39 am 
Valued Contributor

You can set the L/W at the start. Just click on and highlight the G1 90 degree line that is there at the start. Make sure the index is set to 96, change the pavilion degrees to 90 and the symmetry to 2. Then move the depth slider until you get the L/W that you want. Then hit CUT. The L/W shows at the bottom right of the cube / rough. Does this make sense?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:22 am 
Gold Member

Setting the girdle height in the cutting dialog after transfer to the first cut establishes the girdle line (height). Setting the same height for the cut for the left side of Gene's line is how I would handle it in gemcad. In gemcad i believe a lot of users just click a spot somewhere that looks right and make the first cut to establish the girdle height, because that height to them is ultimately determined when they physically cut the stone. I set it to .02000 on every design.

Alex, thanks for that tip on setting the L/W in GCS

Not trying to hijack Gene and Rej's discussion on this.
Greg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:23 pm 
Platinum Member

Rej wrote:
I see. How would you do it in gemcad?

You can click on the one point, in this example it would be the red point on the right, then hold the shift key and move to where you think the point would be on the left side. Holding the shift key locks the horizontal location. This is useful when making designs with checkerboard crowns as you can effectively transfer points either horizontally or vertically.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:11 am 
Gold Member

Rej wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

About shaping the "rough". While I"m happy to add an option to pre-shape your rough when you start a new design, you must understand two things (which in all fairness aren't explained in the beta tutorial)

1 - There is no concept of fitting a design to a shape, well not really because the app always re-scales the design to fit the view. For example you can never create a tiny gem and waste rough. One of the sides will always be maximized to fit the view at normal zoom. Now if you use both sides of the initial block as part of your design, then yes I guess that's one way of fitting to a particular ratio, but I guess my intention was always that the user would cut past those in creating their design. It's not wrong to use them though. I'll try to add a popup or something you can use to set a starting ratio when making a new design. That might be what you guys are after.

2 - You should never run out of room for your design. The cube you start with is created from pre-exisisting cuts (see instruction when starting fresh). If you need to extend any side or the table for example, just select that face or tier and then Edit. You should be able to move it out and "create" more gem material. As long as the plane is still touching the rough, you should be able to then CUT and have more room to create your design. This process can be repeated with sides until you have enough starting rough again. I'm not sure if this is what you meant by your comment on the girdle being too small though, please let me know if there's another use-case I missed.

I'll try changing the angle slider to not reset after each cut on the next beta to see if that's better or if it creates other issues.

This is also in reply to a later comment.

In general I did try the method of editing the girdle cut and edited G1. I moved the depth of cut in, until the L/W was what I wanted.

But as I cut the pavilion angles I ran out of stone.

So I went back and edited G2, making the stone bigger, then edited G1 to get the correct L/W.

I think that when I did this, I ended up having to redo some of the facets, to fix some problem I do not remember what it was. I know that in the end, I deleted the tier and started over.

If I did this again, I would first edit the width I think G2 to enlarge the stone, then the length (g1) to get the correct L/W.

I also remember one last thing, I was shooting for a specific size as well as L/W. I do not see any place where a size dimension is shown.

I would think that this would be a nice to have..... someplace...... then you know the next request, let me enter it.........

This can be down the list....... keeping the last angle entered is something I will look forward to... if you get it working.......

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:22 am 
Gold Member

Not sure the best place to make this comment.

Background...... give me a minute here......

A few years back the company I worked for used a large CAD/CAM program....... It had a user forum, and conference....... During the conference, there as a special meeting where the user reps voted on the list of enhancements and bug fixes...... each rep had one vote for each license that they had..... The Gov Defence contractors (I was one) would get together and vote as a block....... so we usually got what we wanted......

As the developer you control the process, and you are doing a very good job of listening to us......

As this matures, you will come to a point where you have to prioritize, or make tuning parameters for things ..... (like keeping the last angle entered)

You may want to find a way ( voting buttons??) to have folks vote on the priority of things, or if it should be changed......

Just a thought....

BUT

THANKS for the work so far..... It is coming along as a very nice tool.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:52 am 
Established Member

es gibt eine funktion wo facetten gefrostet werden können, jedoch wird die funktion rückgängig gemacht wenn man die zweite facette frostet. wie kann man das abstellen?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:10 am 
Valued Contributor

nonprofana wrote:
es gibt eine funktion wo facetten gefrostet werden können, jedoch wird die funktion rückgängig gemacht wenn man die zweite facette frostet. wie kann man das abstellen?

I'm not 100% sure on Google's translation but it sounds like you want to frost only a few facets. Right now you can only frost an entire tier.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:36 am 
Established Member

kannst du es ändern? mehr facetten frosten

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:52 pm 
Platinum Member

Wilson, this program is quite different from a traditional cad system where you are drawing something to scale and to a specific dimension. GemCad and RejCAD make a 3D model that is non-dimensional, but proportional. A design can be cut in any size stone.

The starting cube is not intended to represent a piece of rough, there is not need to shape your rough to a cube. Hence it makes no sense to start with a rectangular shape rather than the square cube.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:36 am 
Valued Contributor

nonprofana wrote:
kannst du es ändern? mehr facetten frosten

" can you change it in order to frost more facets ?"

I think Nonprofana is looking for the possibility to frost individual facets in order to create images i.e. a spider.

Nonprofana hab ich das richtig verstanden ?

Martin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:37 am 
Valued Contributor

Precision Gem wrote:
Wilson, this program is quite different from a traditional cad system where you are drawing something to scale and to a specific dimension. GemCad and RejCAD make a 3D model that is non-dimensional, but proportional. A design can be cut in any size stone.

The starting cube is not intended to represent a piece of rough, there is not need to shape your rough to a cube. Hence it makes no sense to start with a rectangular shape rather than the square cube.

Well said Gene, I think the non-dimensional aspect might not be obvious to those who've never used either software, I should have made it clearer (and will in the manual)

Now I don't think it's completely useless to start with a particular L/W ratio, as has been requested. In a meetpoint design, your girdle would be defined be the cutting order but if you're doing an old-school ECED preform as you see in some designs, then why not. It just saves you the trouble of making those first cuts by hand in the app and lining your ratios correctly by playing with fine cutting depth on 90deg faces. I'm happy to add it in that case.

But yeah, until I add things like support for concave mandrels (by size) or something, there's no need to dimension the design. It's all relative, and why the app always resizes the design to fit the screen.

Going back to your issue above of establishing the girdle Gene, let's say you could define a point in line with the one you want, how would you actually cut the design in real life? Am I wrong in saying that it's no longer a meetpoint design if you need to line up a meet based on one that's not touching the cut face? I guess that's fine if the answer is "yeah this tier would have to be eyeballed", or am I missing another trick? I've only been cutting for a year or so...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:34 am 
Established Member

Dear sir

Can you find a possibillity to integrate a raw-stone or a recut into
the programm with the help of a 3-D-Scanner and the outline.

Sincerely yours
Wieland Schmidt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:44 am 
Gold Member

nonprofana wrote:
Dear sir

Can you find a possibillity to integrate a raw-stone or a recut into
the programm with the help of a 3-D-Scanner and the outline.

Sincerely yours
Wieland Schmidt

Ludwig Von Sodabowski is working on a product he calls "GemSuite software for faceters", which apparently includes this capability.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next