January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Another "new gem design app" thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:29 am 
Valued Contributor

That looks awesome! I cannot what to see how the actual stones look compared to this. I use your test program a lot to change current designs to optimize them for a specific gem. This is really a-game changer!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:45 am 

Love the semi automatic approach. That way I can easily tune the design for a desired effect. This program will be a nice Christmas present to myself. Thank you for your efforts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:17 pm 
Valued Contributor

It's beautiful!

B9 CORE
Ultratec V5 Digital

http://www.hewngoods.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:09 pm 

That optimizer looks beyond amazing! The live rendering has been a boon to me in optimizing with the tangent ratio - and allowing me to focus on total look, not just brightness... This function looks to take that to the next level. Very exciting :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:27 pm 

PandaP wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:05 pm 
Valued Contributor

While developing the feature, I've also found side benefits.

When looking at designs with low RI materials like quartz, it's easy to see how narrow the angle range is before a design starts to look bad or windowed. While my home made faceting machine has 1/20 deg precision, I don't think it's anywhere that accurate. So if the grid shows me that cutting at 42.8 instead of 43 ruins the intended look, I'll modify the design, cut closer to the middle of the "good range", or stay away from it altogether and avoid disappointment.

It's also impressive to see how some designs on higher RI give you a HUGE range of crown scaling without changing the look too much. Pavilion is often not as forgiving. I knew this in theory (and it's a major point towards cutting pav first), but this really drives the point home.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:25 pm 
Gold Member

Rej wrote:
Watcha think?

Looking forward to put my paws on this. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:06 pm 
Valued Contributor

Rej wrote:
It's also impressive to see how some designs on higher RI give you a HUGE range of crown scaling without changing the look too much. Pavilion is often not as forgiving. I knew this in theory (and it's a major point towards cutting pav first), but this really drives the point home.

I found this recently while cutting a sapphire pear. I had some room to bump the crown up and I used your program to make sure nothing went super wonky. I was surprised at how far I could take it before things started even getting into the "kinda bad" range.

B9 CORE
Ultratec V5 Digital

http://www.hewngoods.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:23 pm 

Dear Rej,

I love you. Take my money and/or have my babies.

-Arya

But seriously, this is an amazing feature. We can see end remders, contrast mapping, and I'm assuming we can set it up to show windowing as well. Glorious. And I even see that we can change the scaling on the axes, so we can make giant adjustments vs small ones! What are the number labels on the axes though, percent scaling? Any chance we can change the size of the boxes, like if I want to see a 12x12 grid for fast glances vs a 5x5 grid for a more detailed view?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:13 pm 
Valued Contributor

Faceting 101 by Arya wrote:
Dear Rej,

I love you. Take my money and/or have my babies.

-Arya

But seriously, this is an amazing feature. We can see end remders, contrast mapping, and I'm assuming we can set it up to show windowing as well. Glorious. And I even see that we can change the scaling on the axes, so we can make giant adjustments vs small ones! What are the number labels on the axes though, percent scaling? Any chance we can change the size of the boxes, like if I want to see a 12x12 grid for fast glances vs a 5x5 grid for a more detailed view?

I love you too, but that's not how babies work. Speak to a medical professional for more information :wink:

Yeah it renders in whatever settings you had in the main Render view, so you set up window colour and everything and have it show here as well. I just added a dropdown to change the lighting model directly as I found it useful to quickly change between the modes and going back to the main interface to do got tedious.

The axis are labeled with percent scaling. I found that setting up angles was a lot more confusing and would add an extra step (choosing which tier angles you want to monitor). You can either drag the range sliders or drag-select a range of grid squares to zoom in and enhance, a la Blade runner!

There a slider to choose the grid resolution there, from 3x3 to 8x8. I suppose if there strong demand I can extend it to bigger values but each render is already quite small at 8x8 on a 22" monitor...

Just a few more things to fix up and I'll send you guys a beta. I also need to set up a bug reporting system...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:13 pm 

Rej wrote:
The axis are labeled with percent scaling. I found that setting up angles was a lot more confusing and would add an extra step (choosing which tier angles you want to monitor). You can either drag the range sliders or drag-select a range of grid squares to zoom in and enhance, a la Blade runner!

There a slider to choose the grid resolution there, from 3x3 to 8x8. I suppose if there strong demand I can extend it to bigger values but each render is already quite small at 8x8 on a 22" monitor...

1. Awesome choice on the percent scaling. I never know which angle GemRay is referring to and I always just end up using the scaling factor on it anyway.
2. I just visually divided my monitor into 12x12 and it looks fine for "fast glance" decisions. :P Would probably make it easier/faster to end up picking the narrow range - I'd probably start with a broad range of P angles 40-45, look at a giant grid of 12 or 15, then narrow down from there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:35 pm 
Valued Contributor

2. I just visually divided my monitor into 12x12 and it looks fine for "fast glance" decisions. :P Would probably make it easier/faster to end up picking the narrow range - I'd probably start with a broad range of P angles 40-45, look at a giant grid of 12 or 15, then narrow down from there.

Fine, you crazy Ontarian :P, here's 12x12.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:50 am 

Yup the 12x12 was perfect even looking at it on my phone. Zoomed in until I could see all 144 on my phone, found 3 immediate candidates that I would have further explored which were pretty far from each other.

Is there any way to mark the options that show up or save individual scaled variants, or s we just write down the scaling factors?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:59 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi Rej,

reading all this with interest and not understandig much of it I just wonder how foolproof that will be.
Will someone like me with little knowledge on computers and faceting design be able to use it at his level ?

Martin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:00 pm 
Valued Contributor

Is there any way to mark the options that show up or save individual scaled variants, or s we just write down the scaling factors?

Not right now, but understand that by selecting a variant on the left, you get a larger version on the right which you can spin around and evaluate as you would in the main render view.

capcuadrate wrote:
Hi Rej,

reading all this with interest and not understandig much of it I just wonder how foolproof that will be.
Will someone like me with little knowledge on computers and faceting design be able to use it at his level ?

Martin

I promise there will be lots of tutorial videos on how to use all these features, and I'll do my best to explain them in simple terms.
Like everything else, it's a learning process and you don't need to go into advanced features until you're ready.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 24  Next