Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Questions about purchasing a faceting machine from amlap
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:08 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi all,
i'm a new member, lurker from long ago and i'm having lots of problems in my quest for a faceting machine.

i purchased a graves 5XL from amlap two weeks ago, but they do not respond to my emails, they seem to be gone and i don't know what to do. I did not receive even a purchase confirmation email, nothing. Are they reliable? can i trust them? This is a serious investment for me :oops: , If i'm not getting my machine i'm on time to cancel the payment.

Regards, Z.

Post subject: Re: Questions about purchasing a faceting machine from amlap
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:14 am 

I believe there have been signs amlap is he same co.pany as, or closely related to, Graves itself. Do a forum search of the Graves company, or just look at other threads in this forum section. Generally speaking, if a company won't repond to any communication about an order, cancelling the payment may be the only way to avoid problems.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:27 am 

Thanks for your quick reponse, i'll do it.

It is such a pitty to be that difficult to begin faceting :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:12 am 
Gold Member

I have never bought anything from Amlap, though I've twice attempted to.
https://www.bbb.org/us/nj/oradell/profi ... 1-25001262

Amlap is a Graves dealer, but as for any other association, the late Tom Maxwell's response to that question was "Absolutely not!".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:11 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

Charge back your payment immediately.
Sorry for your experience but I have not heard anything positive about them ever.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:33 pm 

Don't order at amlap, except you have plenty of time and like to wait for month. I ordered four items this june. Two of them arrived within a few dass. I am still waiting for the backorder with the other two items.
But amlap has already charged the delivery fee of the big package and doesn't respond to my emails.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:36 am 
Established Member

What I've learned, forget about graves and the 5XL, spend a little bit more and get the Xristal-tec 87 from Polymetric for $2175. It's a better (and also the next least expensive) faceting machine. Graves is basically dead at this point, I know a graves dealer who ordered a 5xl which they usually stock, they still never received it... they ordered it in like 2017.

I ordered a machine from polymeric a week ago and the lead time was three or four weeks "a few" said Zane, probably more now but you can email Zane and ask him.
I also think a charge-back through your bank is the best option, those companies will never give your money back willingly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:13 am 
Gold Member

Polymetrics builds good machines, but the 87 angle resolution is only to one degree, with the stop adjustable for tenths, and some kind of strange thing with a pressure gauge (0.003" = 0.1 degree?). I would not call it a "better machine".

To get a digital angle readout, you have to go to the 99 or 88, and even then, the resolution is only to 0.1 degree. You don't need accuracy to 0.01 degree, but the resolution is useful, especially if you want to use the machine in soft stop mode (cutting to the numbers), which I usually do.

The Polymetric offers the option of adding the OMF for concave faceting.

IMO, the Graves is a better machine than the 87. If you can't get one, the Polymetric is a good choice, but I'd go for the 88 or 99. Another downside for me, though it doesn't bother most people, is that Polymetric makes only right-masted machines, which I find awkward to use, being right-handed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:56 pm 
Established Member

aaronllewellyn wrote:
What I've learned, forget about graves and the 5XL, spend a little bit more and get the Xristal-tec 87 from Polymetric for $2175. It's a better (Edit: more available) (and also the next least expensive) faceting machine. Graves is basically dead at this point, I know a graves dealer who ordered a 5xl which they usually stock, they still never received it... they ordered it in like 2017.

I ordered a machine from polymeric a week ago and the lead time was three or four weeks "a few" said Zane, probably more now but you can email Zane and ask him.
I also think a charge-back through your bank is the best option, those companies will never give your money back willingly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:17 am 

Thanks all! Finally i cancelled the payment. I have seen polymetrics machines (i love the 99 design!), but the 87 is a little too low, and the higher end models are just too expensive with import taxes shipping and all, so i'll have to pass for now :( such a pitty, but too much cash for something i won't live on. Maybe in the future.

As my love for stones came making cabochons by hand with sand paper, i decided i'm getting a 10'' slab saw and a grinder for a lot less money, and i have collected lots of rocks so this winter is going to be FUN anyway! Thanks all for your answers! =D>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:31 pm 

Cabbing is a great path as well--it's a lot faster to get started and you can crank stones out much faster while still giving them appropriate levels of attention. And of course sourcing cab rough is a whole different ball game from facet rough.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:31 pm 
Gold Member

From you posts concerning duties I am assuming you are not in the U.S.. Don't give up. Try these people, they make great machines at affordable prices. Some of the finest stones in the world are cut on their machines. Contact them and see if they can help you.

http://www.sterlinggemland.com/