New Mineral Named After GIA’s John Koivula
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Close up of well polished facet?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:58 am 
Established Member

Does anyone have any close up pictures of a well-polished facet, preferably through a loupe or such magnification.

I have polished the pavilion facets of a stone i am cutting. They look quite shiny with the naked eye and I can see through them. However with a 10x loupe the facets still look grainy. I have been polishing for a couple hours now and have no idea if polishing is done.

BTW, this is my very first stone/attempt at faceting. The stone is citrine and I am using a darkside lap with Cerium oxide batt stick.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Close up of well polished facet?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:54 pm 
Valued Contributor

Animan,

I don't happen to have such a picture. However, you look through the forum thread on "before and after".

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7939

You can find tons of pictures of stones in the rough, finished and lots of shots of the stones in mid stages.

Also. in the test thread on the Diaz-Z+ there are many pictures of people showing how the stone reacts to the different polishing stages/compounds with some great close ups.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22149&start=15

Hope this helps

Faceter: When turned into a zombie, they stumble around crying "roooouuuuggghhhh"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:30 pm 
Established Member

Durnik wrote:
Animan,

I don't happen to have such a picture. However, you look through the forum thread on "before and after".

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7939

You can find tons of pictures of stones in the rough, finished and lots of shots of the stones in mid stages.

Also. in the test thread on the Diaz-Z+ there are many pictures of people showing how the stone reacts to the different polishing stages/compounds with some great close ups.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22149&start=15

Hope this helps

Hey Durnik,

Thanks for the links. Yes it helps. The Diaz-Z+ thread is great and quite revealing.
I guess an instructor would typically demonstrate when a facet has been properly and well polished. Without proper instruction, need to rely on help from kindly forum members.

Saw on another thread you awaiting the arrival of an Ultra-tec machine. I just got mine couple of days ago. I am amazed at the accuracy and repeatability of this machine. Even after the dop transfer, I did not need to use the cheater, the indexes lined up exactly right... I am a total newbie!

The price tag was a little hard sell, but I am glad I went with it. I am sure you will enjoy yours.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:57 am 
Valued Contributor

Animan,

You're very welcome for the pointers and glad they helped. Now, I'm far from anyone that has any experience to make suggestions. However, I do read like crazy. So, here's my input from everything I've read in here (and the things I found when I occasionally luck into a stone that works):

1) Always have multiple light sources (top down and across). This will allow you catch those facets that have minor polishing flaws that need one more swipe to get out
2) Under a 10x loop, a well polished (non included stone of course), facet always looks 'wet' to me (even after wiping). When tilting and viewing it from multiple angles, it's like looking across a wet mirrored surface
3) And here's the big one. Depending upon the stone, the laps and what your karma is, the polish can take from 1 - 3 swipes/seconds to what seems like days on some stones, facets (and especially big tables). There's a great article I'll try and find for you that shows polish to cheater adjustment if you're trying to polish a huge table and it only starts to polish in the top left quadrant. To me that always seemed to happen when I used the 3-4 lap process (360, 1200, pre polish and polish). From all the reading I'm doing after work took me away, I'm convinced the two lap process (cut it, pre polish and polish on the dual band laps), will remove a lot of alignment and error introduction.

Now, sorry for the long post, but I also can't wait to get the Ultra Tec. I put away a little 'toy' money every paycheck and after these last years of not spending it on faceting or rough, I went whole hog and bought the Ultra Tec. Can't wait :)

My thanks,

Faceter: When turned into a zombie, they stumble around crying "roooouuuuggghhhh"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:02 am 
Established Member

Thanks for taking the time to provide the pointers. It led me to find the cause of my polishing issue... I was not lowering the mast enough since all the instructions I had been reading mentioned lowering the mast to just touch the facet. After I lowered the mast some more, I could see the top of the facet getting polished after just a few swipes. Lowering the mast further I could get the entire facet to be polished.

Hence, the crown facets will turn out to be much better polished than the pavilion facets :) I guess it is part of the learning process.

Thanks again for your help!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:38 pm 
Valued Contributor

You're very welcome,

Also, found some great new pictures that may help. Try looking at Jon's (Gearloose's) web site on the diamond polishes (I believe made in partnership with Adamas), and you can see some great close ups of polished facets and that 'wet' look I was mentioning. Here's the link (and I have no relationship to Jon other than I buy a lot of his products).

Here's the link

http://www.battlap.com/diastik.html

Also, if you haven't done it. Go to the main page and Jon mentions two books he recommends and I bought them ages ago. Very good well worth the recommendation and reading.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:54 pm 
Valued Contributor

animan,

Once again, I'm no expert (and hoping one will jump in). Unless you're switching laps (say from a 3K prepolish to a polish lap). The only real need to adjust the mast height should be in microns unless your laps are different heights.

If I have this right, with a 100K diamond polish you're talking .25 microns and the only reason to adjust the depth of your cut/mast height would be a lap height dimension (which can happen). So, if you're making minor adjustments to correct for lap height, you're on the right track. If you're adjusting it in a major fashion, you're going to be changing the angles you're polishing at.

My guess is you're changing laps and they have a height difference and you just need to drop it down a hair (never 'push' down on the mast to any great extent, they're rigid but even ounces of finger pressure can cause a minor flex <it's a matter of leverage>)

Hope that helps (and hoping an expert will jump in and correct anything I've said wrong)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:01 am 
Established Member

Yes, I am making small adjustments to the mast height just to get the full face of the facet squarely on the Darkside lap. The mast height changes quite a bit during the cut, especially when the facet angle changes, also of course with the lap height.

Anyways, I am done cutting my first stone. Will see how it looks after I remove from dop. I may post a picture of it.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:09 am 
Established Member

Durnik wrote:
You're very welcome,

Also, found some great new pictures that may help. Try looking at Jon's (Gearloose's) web site on the diamond polishes (I believe made in partnership with Adamas), and you can see some great close ups of polished facets and that 'wet' look I was mentioning. Here's the link (and I have no relationship to Jon other than I buy a lot of his products).

Here's the link

http://www.battlap.com/diastik.html

Also, if you haven't done it. Go to the main page and Jon mentions two books he recommends and I bought them ages ago. Very good well worth the recommendation and reading.

Yes, I actually purchased my Darkside lap and batt sticks from gearloose. Their customer support is top-notch... second to none. There was a small issue with the cap of one of the batt sticks and Jon shipped me a whole new stick. I also realized that they had sent me a sharpener with my order, even though I did not order one. A big shout-out to Jon and Gearloose!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:49 pm 
Valued Contributor

animan,

Can't wait to see it. My first couple (SRBs), actually came our perfectly when I first started. Now, when I mean 'perfect', the meets were close, the polish was great and I fell in love with them. It's only when I moved into the harder designs that I started to learn that there's as much science as art to this. L/W ratios are important, using gemcad or others to trial the cut to see what the stages should look like and all the hundreds of other things the experts here do without thinking.

Hopefully, now that I'm off the road again, I can get back to trying to cut more than 3 stones a year and have some fun. I still call myself a rank beginner, but I can tell you that once you get that stone out of the soak jar and under real sunlight, you'll be doing the snoopy dance :)

Congratulations on the first stone :)