CIBJO releases Gemmological Special Report: considers process of separating measurable facts from opinion; See Gemological Articles below.
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Lapidary or gemstones cutting in London?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:40 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hey guys,
I was wondering if there is anyone here from London or with contacts in London who can help me learn gemstones cutting?
I know there are many Lapidary courses offered here but to be honest, they are very expensive and I dont have enough to cover the cost of these courses.
I would really appreciate if anyone could help me in this regard. Awaiting your replies.

Post subject: Re: Lapidary or gemstones cutting in London?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:17 pm 
Valued Contributor

mali786,

I don't have any first hand knowledge. However, a quick google search turned up the UK Facet Cutters Guild with a website and some information on the help they provide to hobbyist and gemstones. There's a couple of contact links on their web site you could probably send them an email and see if they can put you in touch with someone to chat about your needs and how best they could help (even if only pointers to a mentor).

https://ukfcg.org/

Hope that helps

Faceter: When turned into a zombie, they stumble around crying "roooouuuuggghhhh"

Post subject: Re: Lapidary or gemstones cutting in London?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:29 am 
Established Member

Hi mali786,

Assuming you are talking about faceting and doing it as a hobby - If you already have a faceting machine and a few laps you can give it a go and learn form books, THIS forum and some videos on the Internet. It's not a 'rocket science' and you shouldn't be intimidated by any terminology or failure to produce a top-cut stone from the first few attempts. Part of it is also an art, so there is no definite end to learning - a course will teach you how to facet, but you can get any good only through experience.

I live in London and I didn't find anything as an 'affordable' local resource when I started learning. I gave it a try and after few stones and few months in - it started working-out for me. I wish I found this forum before I developed some bad techniques and habits I now have, though. :)
I am pretty sure quite a large portion of the people on this forum are self-taught too, so again - just give it a go.

There are 2 books by Tom Herbst on Amazon UK - "Amateur Gemstone Faceting" Volume 1 and 2. These are indispensable as a source of knowledge about both the 'hows' and the 'whys' of faceting and I would very highly recommend them. They are not expensive too.
Also look for the "Faceting 101" video series from Arya Akhavan on Youtube - these are quite good and will give you an initial idea of what is going on.

If you are looking to learn to.... get a certificate; or to start doing it professionally, though, such courses are expensive not only here in the UK and you should just save-up for one.

And last but not least, this forum has answered a lot of beginner questions and is also a great source of information.

You may also sign up with the UK Facet Cutters Guild and ask there if anyone around London is willing to give you lessons. - you never know...

-o.