Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Ultra Tec Unboxing and Things to Check
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:44 pm 
Valued Contributor

To all,

My machine is finally on its way and looking for some advice. Other than the standard check that all parts are there, no obvious damage and the DAD turns on and zero's out, what would you recommend as a quick pre-flight check of the machine?

I have a two week delay while my foreign work visa is approved so I may be able to get it setup and try a stone or two before I mothball it again for awhile.

My thanks for any advice :)

Faceter: When turned into a zombie, they stumble around crying "roooouuuuggghhhh"

Post subject: Re: Ultra Tec Unboxing and Things to Check
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:53 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

After checking everything you ordered is there, switch on the DAD and also run the motor to make sure it is driving the platen. Then if you are going to pack it away for several months loosen the bolts supporting the motor to free the rubber drive cone from the aluminium drive disc. This will prevent a flat from developing on the drive cone. It's not really a problem, because a flat will even out quite quickly when you run the machine, but it produces a potentially alarming rumble after you first switch it on after a long absence. It is easy to mistake this rumble for wear of the main bearing, which it isn't. (Of course, you need to remember to tighten the motor support bolts again when you want to use the machine.) I find it good maintenance practice to run the machine at high speed for ten minutes at least weekly if I am not faceting regularly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:57 pm 
Valued Contributor

Duncan,

Thank you, I hadn't thought of loosening the belt :)

Faceter: When turned into a zombie, they stumble around crying "roooouuuuggghhhh"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:49 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Bob Hodges wrote:
I hadn't thought of loosening the belt.
Ultra Tec machines don't have a drive belt, they have a double cone drive. A rubber cone is attached to the shaft of the motor and that contacts a shallow aluminium cone that is attached to the vertical drive shaft. You adjust the pressure of the rubber cone on the aluminium one by adjusting the mounting bolts of the motor. When in use, there needs to be just enough contact pressure to avoid slipping between the two cones when cutting.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:33 am 
Gold Member

I would also check the dad setting. You should have an alignment block which will be a square block.

You set the block on a lap and put in a dop. You put the dop against the block at 0 and 90.

You can then check the machine alignment. The US Faceting Guild has a good paper on how to do this. If you move your machine it can get out of alignment and it would be good to know how to check and align it.

Two quick checks:

Check that the lap is level.
Put a good master lap (or the best one you have) on the machine. Set a dop in the machine, and put it on the edge of the lap. Adjust the height to some angle around 45 degrees. put a small dot with a magic marker on the spot.

by hand turn the lap 45 degrees and take readings. They should be the same. IT may vary by 00.01- 2. But if more than 00.07 then the lap is not level.

Check the alignment of the facet head.

Rotate the dot you put on the lap to 12:000, adjust the mast placement and put the dop on the dot. Rotate the dot to 6:00. Take a reading. If the reading is off by more than 00.03 (number is my guess) then the mast needs alignment.
there are posts on how to level the platen. The mast is done with the 3 allen screws. It is tedious, and takes a whilt to figure out which way to turn things, but it can be done.

BUT GET THE PAPER FROM THE US FACET GUILD. It had more detailed instructions and more checks o perform.

Personally I think that it is worth learning how to align it yourself I pack my machine up and take it with me. AS it gets bounced around a plane or bounced in a truck it can get out of alignment.

I know that I can check it and get it back in alignment with a few allen wrenches.

It is worth taking your machine to the hardware store and get a wrench to tighten and loosten the motor and allen wrenches for the mast. You do not need a big tool kit but one or two open end wrenches and a few allen wrenches would let you make all of the adjustments that you need.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:57 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

wilsonintexas wrote:
It is worth taking your machine to the hardware store and get a wrench to tighten and loosten the motor and allen wrenches for the mast. You do not need a big tool kit but one or two open end wrenches and a few allen wrenches would let you make all of the adjustments that you need.
A new Ultra Tec is delivered with all the Allen wrenches you need, but you will need a star screw driver to loosen the motor bolts.