Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Just starting out, some beginner questions about Laps
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:29 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hello All,

I'm just starting out here, doing my initial research about what equipment I'm going to need, and There's a few questions about Laps that I can't seem to find answers for. I've done my search on the forum and can't seem to find anything, so hopefully they aren't too much of n00b questions.

First of all about NuBond Laps, I have read in multiple places that NuBond laps cut like 1 grit higher (e.g. 1200 grit cuts more like 3000) however nowhere has explained WHY this is. is there a specific reason for this?

Also on the topic of NuBond, are they still being manufactured? I can't seem to get to the manufacturer's web page (raytechgemprocessing.com/lapidary/diamond-products/facets-tombstone.php or even raytechgemprocessing.com) While I know they are still available through distributors, but I would hate to fall in love with how one cuts, just to not be able to get another one later down the line.

I have also seen "acrylic" laps available on a number of sites, I have access to a laser cutter, so does the Lap require any special processing/tolerances or can I just cut a 8" disk out of 1/4" acrylic and be ready to go? considering I can get 1/4" acrylic for about $8 per square foot, and save on exchange and shipping this would be very useful. (I would be using it as a master Lap, not directly for polishing)

I've seen in 2 or 3 places that recommend a beginner's lap package usually recommend something like a 360, 1200 and 3000 grit laps and then a polishing lap (BATT lap or Darkside) but most of the videos and information from more experienced cutters all seem to use 600 grit for the majority of the work. Is there a reason that 600 grit isn't recommended for beginers?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Post subject: Re: Just starting out, some beginner questions about Laps
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:25 pm 
Valued Contributor

Laps are very subjective, some folks like one while others don't.
It is hard to say what you will end up with, if your like me you will just buy and try.
After a while you will find what does well for your style of cutting and what doesn't then sell it off or shelve what doesn't work but might work for a stone that doesn't respond to your usual methods.

A good plan is when you find what you like buy a backup or two, you never know when a manufacturer is going to change or discontinue something.

If you can make an acrylic master lap for 8 bucks then just go ahead and try it.
I you don't like it, well it didn't cost much.

I don't use a 600, I do all my rough cutting on a worn 260 straight to 1200 to polish.
Others go 360-600-1200-3000 or 8000 to polish or multiple polishing steps, just depends on what works for you, whatever grits you choose just make sure to get all the scratches from the previous grit out of the stone when cutting.

I don't know much about nubonds, I have one in 600 but rarely use it.
I'm guessing the coating they put on the laps make it finer cutting.

I know these aren't the cut and dry answers you wanted but its one of those ask 5 cutters get 5 different answers.

Have a good one, Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:23 pm 
Valued Contributor

As above it is different for everyone, my steps are worn 320-600-3000-polish.

Ive had 2 nubonds in the past, 1200 and 600.
I found the 1200 to makes scratches on facets, i loved the 600 as it cut like a 1200 and left lovely smooth facets.

Both wore out rather quickly thoughand were prone to scratchingif a sharp edge touched them.

Also very pricey.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:44 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

yeah, I'm really starting to get the feeling that 90% of the nit-picky I see is really personal preference.

If I may give an anecdote, the first time I tried to make pastry (look up recipes for "rough puff pastry) I got really confused because one would say to fold it in 3rds and then rotate it 4 times, another would fold it in quarters and rotate it twice etc. I eventually came to the realization that those details didn't matter, the important steps were what all the recipes had in common. (folding and turning)

so part of what I'm also trying to get a feel for is how much wiggle room is there on this kind of things. I've seen a few posts (mostly looking up information on faceting machines) complaining about having a runout of 0.0015" and I'm just sitting here "dude, I build circuit boards for a living, and even we don't expect that kind of tolerance" so I just want to make sure that if I have problems it's because I'm learning and growing my skill, not because I used acrylic that didn't have a tight enough tolerance on flatness.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:51 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Machine (platen) run-out should be minimal. No lap stays flat forever; as long as it doesn't wobble it is workable. My recommendation for a beginner is 360 topper for roughing out, 600 solid steel to cut facets, 3000 rechargeable Batt for prepolish, Diamatrix (with diamond) and Darkside (with oxides) for polish. Eventually you acquire a 'lap museum'. I own about 40 laps, but routinely use only half a dozen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:49 am 

I pretty much concur with Duncan. You'll need a 360 played on a master lap for preform, 600 for cutting (I use a rechargeable copper lap as I find played laps have very inconsistent diamond sizes), 3k on Zinc+ or 8k on BATT to diamond on BATT or oxides on Darkside for most stones. Raytech no longer makes laps, you can find a Nu Bond once in a long while for sale, I use my Nu Bond 600 all the time, 325 every once in a while and the 1200 on quartz everytime. Do not buy 1200 or 3000 plated! The diamond particles are too small to be held by the adhesive to the lap and will roll under the stone causing scratching and headache. I highly suggest a lap package from Gearloose!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:19 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

The NuBond product has died for the second time within over 35 years of product life. I used one of the first run of NuBonds from Raytech on a few stones around 1982. I did not continue to use it.
Faceters have different combinations of laps for different materials which constitute different means to the same or similar ends.
I advocate you try as many combinations as is feasible and reach your own conclusions.