New Mineral Named After GIA’s John Koivula
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Suggest good faceting laps for beginner
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:54 am 
Offline
Established Member

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:32 am
Posts: 41
Hi
i was looking at crystalite faceting laps but they are really out of my budget for now.
please suggest some faceting decent laps which are cheaper.

i will be learning on quartz, topaz, peridot


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Suggest good faceting laps for beginner
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:00 pm 
Offline
Established Member

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:08 am
Posts: 25
Location: Seattle
https://shop.lightninglap.com/laps/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Suggest good faceting laps for beginner
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:33 am 
Offline
Established Member

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:32 am
Posts: 41
pietra wrote:
https://shop.lightninglap.com/laps/


how long does these last?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Suggest good faceting laps for beginner
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:50 am 
Offline
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:32 pm
Posts: 7
Diamond "Top Plates" will work quite well. Just buy a single, aluminum Master Lap and change toppers to switch grit sizes.

While there are countless places to purchase toppers, here is an example from a reputable dealer...
https://kingsleynorth.com/diamond-laps-top-plates-8.html


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Suggest good faceting laps for beginner
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:53 am 
Offline
Active Member

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:23 am
Posts: 86
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Just buy a master lap, 360 topper and 600 topper. Do not buy any bonded metal laps smaller than 600 grit, they are absolutely terrible and will give you nothing but misery.
Then buy a lap kit from Gearloose.co, this should be everything you need to cut most stones.
Once you have the hang of it, buy an Adamas Sintered Lap and some Hyperedge Laps (if only I could sneak those price tags by my wife...).

_________________
Lucas - Tenacious Faceting


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Suggest good faceting laps for beginner
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:13 pm 
Offline
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:32 pm
Posts: 1737
Location: Florida, United States
lse138 wrote:
Just buy a master lap, 360 topper and 600 topper. Do not buy any bonded metal laps smaller than 600 grit, they are absolutely terrible and will give you nothing but misery.
Then buy a lap kit from Gearloose.co, this should be everything you need to cut most stones.
Once you have the hang of it, buy an Adamas Sintered Lap and some Hyperedge Laps (if only I could sneak those price tags by my wife...).


By bonded metal lap do you mean plated? If so, I agree.
I put a great deal of research and trials into Adamas sintered diamond wheels so customers would have good experiences.

_________________
http://adamasfacet.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Suggest good faceting laps for beginner
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:40 pm 
Offline
Active Member

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:23 am
Posts: 86
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
thomas.adamas wrote:
lse138 wrote:
Just buy a master lap, 360 topper and 600 topper. Do not buy any bonded metal laps smaller than 600 grit, they are absolutely terrible and will give you nothing but misery.
Then buy a lap kit from Gearloose.co, this should be everything you need to cut most stones.
Once you have the hang of it, buy an Adamas Sintered Lap and some Hyperedge Laps (if only I could sneak those price tags by my wife...).


By bonded metal lap do you mean plated? If so, I agree.
I put a great deal of research and trials into Adamas sintered diamond wheels so customers would have good experiences.


Yes, plated. 1,200 and 3,000 plated are absolute garbage. As soon as I can sneak the price by my wife, Thomas, I'm getting one of your sintered laps.

_________________
Lucas - Tenacious Faceting


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Suggest good faceting laps for beginner
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:46 pm 
Offline
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:32 pm
Posts: 1737
Location: Florida, United States
lse138 wrote:
Yes, plated. 1,200 and 3,000 plated are absolute garbage. As soon as I can sneak the price by my wife, Thomas, I'm getting one of your sintered laps.


There are technical reasons why 3000 mesh plated, and even sintered, does not provide a satisfactory surface finish on colored stones.
1200 mesh plated provides a marginally acceptable finish in some cases. It works fine for sintered.
I suggest that you introduce your wife to the concept of "cost per use".

_________________
http://adamasfacet.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Gemology Style ported to phpBB3 by Christian Bullock