January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: UltraTec VL Classic reviews
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:17 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Any reviews on the UltraTec VL Classic? I have an Ultra-Tec machine so I was wondering if anyone with a V5 or a Facetron has purchased or used one and what's your opinion of the machine in comparison. Also the pros and cons etc.

Post subject: Re: UltraTec VL Classic reviews
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:59 am 
Established Member

I have one that has the DAD and a dial depth of cut gauge.

[attachment=0]ULTRA TEC VL.jpg[/attachment1.5

The machine is exactly the same from the deck plate down as the V5. The mast is built like a tank and height adjustment is far superior to the Facetron.

I wasn't happy with the splash-pan on the VL. It is made from a hard plastic material and there is no removable guard to facilitate cuts less than 90 degrees. At first I simply clipped a flexible, plastic sheet in place... That worked, but I finally decided to just replace the entire splash-pan with one from a V5 as you can see in the picture.

I don't cut door-knob-sized stones. If you do, you'll find that the mast on the VL is too short to accommodate monster pieces of rough. UT has a mast extension (1.5" I think) that fits below the existing VL mast to allow for very, very large stones.

The faceting head has been upgraded from the V5. The hard-stop "lever" is much improved over the V5. The angle locking lever is in a much more convenient position and a "clutch" nut has been installed to dampen the movement of the quill assembly for those who want it.

The lever-arm of the V5 is gone. I've always been one who holds the stone itself when cutting anyway. (I'm left-handed, so I use right-masted machines anyway.) No problem.

The DAD is exactly the same as the V5. Works like a champ.

Overall, I am completely satisfied with the VL.

Attachments:
ULTRA TEC VL.jpg
ULTRA TEC VL.jpg [ 166.43 KiB | Viewed 1398 times ]
 Post subject: Re: UltraTec VL Classic reviews
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:21 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Thanks for the response I was wondering about some of the things you covered. I thought that the mast looked a little short but I can tell by looking at it it won't flex. Luckily I have a few of the original splash pans because UT charges something like $189.00 for just the rubber splash guard and if you need the 2 cent aluminum hold down rods that you could make yourself and a piece of $1.00 drain tube that will be another $100.00 bringing your new splash guard total to $298.00 WTF?

Two questions.... does it use the same index gears as the other Ultra-Tec machines and if you buy the upgraded DAD version do they give you the analog dial to?

When I first saw one my initial thought was wow Ultra-Tec and Facetron had a baby together and the Ultra-Tec had the more dominant gene... If anyone else has any experience with one feel free to chime in I appreciate your opinions.