It is with great sadness I'd like to announce Dr. Hanneman passed away on December 12, 2020. His legacy will live on forever!
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: New MDR-102 Questions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:23 pm 
Established Member

I just got a smoking deal on an MDR 102. I'm completely new to this, and it came with laps and dops and even some rough to get started with. Saved a ton.

Digging through the forums here, it looks like I might need to contact an individual to update the index gear to a 96 (instead of the 64 it came with) I'll do that eventually.

The things I'm interested in, though - are:

1. How might I go about installing a digital protractor? Or is this even an option?

2. How do I determine which laps are "correct" to fit when I need to replace them? There's also a big range in price of laps - lapidary supply websites have them for ~$80, and amazon has them for ~$16 in various grits. Am I wrong in thinking that even the knock-off laps that you might get on Amazon would still be functional so long as the grit is accurate?

3. Are splash pans universal more or less? The one I've got drains out of the side instead of the bottom, and additionally it's impossible to have in while cutting the girdle, so water goes everywhere. I saw a guy on youtube have one with a removable side panel... but maybe he cut that out himself...

4. Regarding polishing laps - I think I need some terminology updates here: I have a rigid lap (marked as "polish") I assume this is the lap that I am going to rub a bit of sewing machine oil and cerium oxide on in order to polish my citrine I'm working on? It also game with a... as best as I can describe it - paper lap and support lap. I assumed the paper lap was a polishing lap as well, but it wasn't very efficient for polishing facets. Is one of these considered a "BATT?" I've heard that term thrown around. Do I need to purchase a second polishing lap for when it's time to use something other than cerium oxide?

Thanks for your help! Sorry for all the super noobish questions!

Post subject: Re: New MDR-102 Questions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:16 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Sounds like you have the bug already, going digital out the gate.
My first machine is a MDR and only came a 64index, did eventually find a 96 gear,bthere rare but out there. I still have, but latter upgrade to a MDR 300 pro, but have since sold and went with Poly Metric which many the tools will work with your machine. You will find retrofitting your machine to digital will be a costly feat. Learn some basic faceting with what you have and consider upgrading. Laps basically work on 1/2" arbors, in 6" or 8" diameters. No most drain pans are unique to the machine, yours I believe like mine sits in 4 L brackets pretty much bottomed out to the deck, so the drain is set on bottom of the side, You by all means can retrofit one. You probably need to make a 3 to 4 inch splash shield with a cut out for girdle work. I made from some clear flexible plastic and aluminum rivots. Just make it snug to slide down inside your splash pan. This is all the fun of learning faceting, read, ask questions, join some of clubs out there. To get started buy a few cheap laps like a 260, 600, 1200, I personally would steer clear of 10-15$ laps, Medium priced laps 70-100$ range are more likely to be better buy over the long run. Hey but your already thinking digital on an MDR so why not go sintered at 600-1000$ a lap. Just razzing you little, I hope you enjoy the journey.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:57 pm 
Established Member

That pretty much answered my questions, thanks!

1. Don't bother with digital on this faceter. I'll get as exact as I can with my analog protractor and if I've still got the bug eventually upgrade to a better faceter.

2. I'll just constantly keep my eyes open for a 96 index wheel for an MDR. Although, I'm probably jumping the gun just a little bit, when there are more designs than I'll ever get to for a 64 index.

3. I'll look for mid-range laps. I guess I buy blanks and score them for holding the oxide polishes? I don't plan on using diamond anytime soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:57 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Polishing is separate beast and there are many combinations each of us use to obtain a good polish. There are many threads here on the GO board that relate to both cutting and polishing, do some searching.