January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Baking soda with gkue for dopping.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:14 pm 

Anyone here used baking soda with glue for dopping stones? Watched some videos. It creates a really tough bond. However i wonder if it works on dopping gems.
Any experience?

Post subject: Re: Baking soda with gkue for dopping.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:30 pm 
Gold Member

Annnnnnnd..... Why????? Short answer NO!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:59 pm 

Some people use superglue with spray accelerant which I imagine is sort of similar. Baking soda might also make it easier to break when you want to I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:53 am 
Gold Member

I have tried the SG , Baking soda so called miracle bond on general parts repairs and didn't find it very successful. But that's just little broken parts plastics mostly. I can't see mixing them together for dopping, the soda kind of activates the CA glue on contact. I have heard where baking soda is used in cone dops with 2 part epoxies to help the freeing of the stone from the dop. But not CA super glued. I do not use epoxy or ca glueing in cone dops, I use wax.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:10 pm 
Established Member

I need to know why. What's the point?

I've always (hah... 3 stones) used just straight CA (gorilla glue). Soak it in acetone for 10m when it's time to release, then soak the stone for a few more minutes and rub with rubbing alcohol to get the residue off.

I don't know what baking soda would add to the process?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:44 pm 
Gold Member

I guess one can try this, I won't be... Just like Stephen said one can use an activator with CA glue. Maybe if your planning on faceting a baseball size stone pouring a box of soda on CA might do the trick. But I amagine epoxy would be better option.
I have read where BS is mixed in with epoxy for the cone side of the dop. This is done to weaken the hold more rapidly in the transfer process or the final stone removal. Soaking the stone in acetone in small cone dops usually works somewhat quickly, but larger cones may take hours, days and maybe longer. I have heard some say they had to drill holes in the side of the dop to allow the releasing agent access. I use a wax dopping to avoid these issues. Learn to use wax, use CA and epoxy sparingly on heat sensitive stones, use waterproof Elmer's on opal, and cover with clear nail polish to seal.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:47 pm 
Valued Contributor

I've found it handy when the glue is reluctant to set, like when it's old or on aluminium.
Doesn't give you a better bond strength at all, but it's sometimes the difference between sticky jelly and crisp plastic.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:34 am 
Established Member

Shifter55 wrote:
I've found it handy when the glue is reluctant to set, like when it's old or on aluminium.
Doesn't give you a better bond strength at all, but it's sometimes the difference between sticky jelly and crisp plastic.

I actually tried this two days ago based on your comment. I had a particularly problematic pear-shaped stone that was not taking to the conical dop after three attempts. I would leave it overnight, and it would seem to be set, but still had a bit of flex, so I dusted the dop in a bit of baking soda.

Worked like a charm! Just hoping it doesn't screw with the acetone when I go to release the stone!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:04 pm 
Gold Member

azrugger wrote:
Shifter55 wrote:

I actually tried this two days ago based on your comment. I had a particularly problematic pear-shaped stone that was not taking to the conical dop after three attempts. I would leave it overnight, and it would seem to be set, but still had a bit of flex, so I dusted the dop in a bit of baking soda.

Worked like a charm! Just hoping it doesn't screw with the acetone when I go to release the stone!

When you have a difficult shaped stone, the best solution is a custom shaped dop.

I know, it is not practical to machine a custom dop for stones. Luckily, you don't have to. You can use wax.

Use a medium- high temperature wax, not the "black" super hard wax that you might use for wax dopping. I find the Diamond Pacific Green Wax (2200-DOP-GR) works perfect for this. It is my favorite for regular facet dop too.

Put the dopped stone in the transfer jig, I am assuming you cut the pavilion first.

Heat the receiving dop, and then melt some wax around the cone/V.

While the wax is still pliable put the dop in the transfer jig, and lower the stone into the dop. With your fingers shape the wax to fit your stone.

Since the stone is cold it should not stick to the wax.

When you lift the stone out of the wax (while still in the transfer jig) you should have a perfectly shaped mold of the pavilion.

Clean the stone well with acetone, then glue it into the the wax form. Since your glue layer is very thin, it is super strong, and dries fast.

Doing this correctly results in a perfectly aligned transfer. It is very rare for a stone to pop out of this kind of attachment. But even if it does, you have a perfect mold. just glue the stone back in and you will still be aligned.

When soaking in acetone to remove the stone after cutting you will find the the wax dissolves very quickly, exposing most of the CA to also dissolve quicker than a thick application of gule.