August 13-15—East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Show; Better Living Center, West Springfield, Massachusetts
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Require Fully Automatic Faceting Machine with 3D software
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:34 pm 
Offline
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:53 am
Posts: 3
Hi,

I need manufacturers contact info on Fully Automatic Faceting Machine with 3D operating software system for rough color gemstones .

Planning to set up Lapidary unit for colored gemstones.

Kindly anybody can help me pls.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Require Fully Automatic Faceting Machine with 3D softwar
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:07 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:22 pm
Posts: 20851
Location: San Francisco
Hi.
I moved your post to a more appropriate category.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Require Fully Automatic Faceting Machine with 3D softwar
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:19 am 
Offline
Gold Member

Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 2:18 am
Posts: 1249
What species of stones will you be working with?

What shapes and sizes are planning to produce?

Where are you located?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Require Fully Automatic Faceting Machine with 3D softwar
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:23 pm 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 pm
Posts: 827
Location: San Marcos, CA
1bwana1 wrote:
What species of stones will you be working with?

What shapes and sizes are planning to produce?

Where are you located?

Yes would be useful information.

Also define your meaning of fully automated, as well as 3D.

I own and operate a Jang801, and there is nothing fully automated about it. I believe there are more modern machines out there.

_________________
The Gem Garden
San Marcos, CA


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Require Fully Automatic Faceting Machine with 3D softwar
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:16 pm 
Offline
Gold Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:44 pm
Posts: 1079
Location: Washington State
Can you actually get an acceptable polish on that Jang801? Is it tough to program? Just interested since this seems like a difficult thing to do given the nature of gem stones.

_________________
Michael E.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Require Fully Automatic Faceting Machine with 3D softwar
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:47 pm 
Offline
Gold Member

Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 2:18 am
Posts: 1249
The key to polishing on automatic machines is the lap and compound used.

That is one of the reasons most commercial stones only get a 14K final polish. It is aggressive enough to actually place and ut the facets, and leave an acceptably bright 14K finish. So "brillianteering" (diamond terminology), and polishing are actually the same step. m This is also the way hand cutting also works in many high production shops.

For those unfamiliar with the term brillianteering.

https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamon ... g-1616.htm


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Require Fully Automatic Faceting Machine with 3D softwar
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:50 pm 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 pm
Posts: 827
Location: San Marcos, CA
michael_e wrote:
Can you actually get an acceptable polish on that Jang801? Is it tough to program? Just interested since this seems like a difficult thing to do given the nature of gem stones.

Sure, as good as by hand. Same processes applies. Software runs gemcad files. As the index and lap rotation run counter-clockwise and no reversing direction of the lap some angles above 55 degrees can be problematic with polishing. Reversing the lap direction would eleviate it, but I have found alternative methods to resolve.

_________________
The Gem Garden
San Marcos, CA


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Require Fully Automatic Faceting Machine with 3D softwar
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:00 am 
Offline
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:53 am
Posts: 3
Thank you for your concern dear friends,

Rough Corundums, rough Garnets, rough Aquamarine, rough citrine, topaz, amethysts are the raw materials used for faceting.

Sizes will be up-to 20 mm.

Planning to set up Lapidary unit in Bangalore, India.

3D means - three dimensional view
In the fully automatic faceting machines helps in inclusion mapping in rough before faceting.

Even Jang machines(advanced) do the same.

But I am not getting the contact details of suppliers of these machines.

Hoping kind and positive response pls


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Require Fully Automatic Faceting Machine with 3D softwar
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:55 pm 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 pm
Posts: 827
Location: San Marcos, CA
gemvenkat wrote:
Planning to set up Lapidary unit in Bangalore, India.

3D means - three dimensional view
In the fully automatic faceting machines helps in inclusion mapping in rough before faceting.

Even Jang machines(advanced) do the same.

But I am not getting the contact details of suppliers of these machines.

Hoping kind and positive response pls

I am not aware of any AI Jang machines that plot rough to avoid problem areas. The models I know of have a two dimensional display of the set facets it is currently cutting.

I would suspect that if there was something out there it would be presented for purchasing. I remember watching some youtube videos a few years ago about machines claiming to do what your asking but they appeared to be pretty much like Jang(advanced).

I can not count the number of times I have been approached by someone wanting me to participate in reverse engineering the Jang 801 not so much the hardware but the software.

If you know Jang's why not contact?

_________________
The Gem Garden
San Marcos, CA


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Require Fully Automatic Faceting Machine with 3D softwar
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:56 pm 
Offline
Gold Member

Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 2:18 am
Posts: 1249
The diamond industry does have machines that plot inclusions and calculate the best cutting solutions. I knw some people in Idar have used such machines for colored stones.

Almost all the diamond cutting factories in India now use such tools.

Look at Sarine Technologies from Israel who are the leaders in this field.

https://sarine.com/

From the species, and sizes you say you will be cutting I don't believe that automated cutting is an appropriate path for you to follow.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Require Fully Automatic Faceting Machine with 3D softwar
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:06 am 
Offline
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:53 am
Posts: 3
glhays wrote:
I am not aware of any AI Jang machines that plot rough to avoid problem areas. The models I know of have a two dimensional display of the set facets it is currently cutting.

I would suspect that if there was something out there it would be presented for purchasing. I remember watching some youtube videos a few years ago about machines claiming to do what your asking but they appeared to be pretty much like Jang(advanced).

I can not count the number of times I have been approached by someone wanting me to participate in reverse engineering the Jang 801 not so much the hardware but the software.

If you know Jang's why not contact?


Planning to set up Lapidary unit in Bangalore, India.

3D means - three dimensional view
In the fully automatic faceting machines helps in inclusion mapping in rough before faceting.

Even Jang machines(advanced) do the same.

But I am not getting the contact details of suppliers of these machines.

Hoping kind and positive response pls


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Require Fully Automatic Faceting Machine with 3D softwar
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:44 am 
Offline
Valued Contributor

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:04 am
Posts: 203
Location: Idaho
Saw an interesting article quite some time ago (like 2 decades?) about an Israeli company using computerized machines to cut emeralds. They might have moved forward a lot since then, unless cheap labor elsewhere put them out of business...

_________________
Lapidarist by Passion
Goldsmith by Necessity

Facetron x2
GemCad/GemRay/Gem Cut Studio
Matrix 9/Rhino 5, 6, 7 Beta
REVO A (still hanging on...)
B9 Creator Core 5 Series XL
Indutherm MC-15


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Require Fully Automatic Faceting Machine with 3D softwar
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:28 am 
Offline
Gold Member

Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 2:18 am
Posts: 1249
Just like diamond cutting, The emerald cutting industry is now predominantly in India.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Require Fully Automatic Faceting Machine with 3D softwar
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:18 pm 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 pm
Posts: 827
Location: San Marcos, CA
gemvenkat wrote:
glhays wrote:
I am not aware of any AI Jang machines that plot rough to avoid problem areas. The models I know of have a two dimensional display of the set facets it is currently cutting.

I would suspect that if there was something out there it would be presented for purchasing. I remember watching some youtube videos a few years ago about machines claiming to do what your asking but they appeared to be pretty much like Jang(advanced).

I can not count the number of times I have been approached by someone wanting me to participate in reverse engineering the Jang 801 not so much the hardware but the software.

If you know Jang's why not contact?


Planning to set up Lapidary unit in Bangalore, India.

3D means - three dimensional view
In the fully automatic faceting machines helps in inclusion mapping in rough before faceting.

Even Jang machines(advanced) do the same.

But I am not getting the contact details of suppliers of these machines.

Hoping kind and positive response pls


All due respect.....Repeating the same is not an answer.

_________________
The Gem Garden
San Marcos, CA


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Require Fully Automatic Faceting Machine with 3D softwar
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:27 pm 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 pm
Posts: 827
Location: San Marcos, CA
1bwana1 wrote:
Just like diamond cutting, The emerald cutting industry is now predominantly in India.


Steve if incase this is true and I believe it is as well, why would the OP be in search of an Ai machine to put in service in the same arena?
I know in fact that Jang placed many automated faceting machines for cutting melee sizes at 100-200 pieces a pop in India.

To my knowledge there is no machine that is fully automated to be a do all facets of faceting. Cutting, Polishing even preforming can be automated.

I can be wrong, please someone point me to that robot.

_________________
The Gem Garden
San Marcos, CA


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Gemology Style ported to phpBB3 by Christian Bullock