JOGS Palm Springs Gem & Jewelry Show; Palm Springs Convention Center, California; Thu 21st through Sun 24th, Oct 2021
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 616, 617, 618, 619, 620, 621, 622  Next
 Post subject: Re: Off the dop - post YOUR latest creation
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:12 pm 
Valued Contributor

I'm liking the left one the most, apex crown and decent flash helps with quartz.
I've wondered if the desire for very dark quartz is because it hides a lot of the windowing, but it's also much easier to find pleochroism in dark than light amethyst...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:22 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Macro shots with harsh lighting made those pavilion scratches POP. It didn't look this bad in daylight #-o

Only got my handpiece machine two months ago, and there's still so much basic mechanics to learn.
Just finished my 3rd stone, a 9ct synthetic spinel.

This stone was a nightmare of chipped edges, lap contamination, _2_ CA glue failures, one on the crown leading to 3-axis facet hunting...

Also my first attempt at designing in gem cut studio from scratch, heavily referencing concepts of Akhavan's Hidden Treasure design. So much to learn in designing too.

Attachments:
_DS86580-s.jpg
_DS86580-s.jpg [ 159.29 KiB | Viewed 749 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:45 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

But you know what? You have a great attitude about it! Some of the most satisfying moments come from some of the learning. One day you will be faceting a stone looking so hard at the surface for your attempted perfect polish and low and behold down inside, beyond the surface you will find some of the most spectacular wonders of nature. Of course that's not going to be a synthetic in most cases, but sometimes there can be some odd, how did that get there moments. Practice and learning faceting and the materials around the adventure are all part of the process. Don't give up, take that synthetic, re-dop it and make it into the gem it wants to be. Or keep it and one day show it to someone say this was third stone I ever cut, I still have my first cut stone, it was a crappy piece of pyrope garnet, cut on an old MDR machine with who knows what contaminated old MDR laps and old learn to facet book.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:48 am 
Valued Contributor

nice design. What was the lap sequence ? I have only cut a few synthetic Spinel but found polishing troublesome. Pre polish 8k on Zinc+ and polish Matrix with Oxides.

Attachments:
20200923_085935.jpg
20200923_085935.jpg [ 1.51 MiB | Viewed 721 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:33 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

capcuadrate wrote:
nice design. What was the lap sequence ? I have only cut a few synthetic Spinel but found polishing troublesome. Pre polish 8k on Zinc+ and polish Matrix with Oxides.

I have found that 600, 3k diamond, 8k diamond, 60k diamond works for me, sintered, batt &or zinc+, batt. All pre and polish with Wd40. I find using 1200 or 3k electroplated type laps create surface pitting in both natural and synthetic Spinel. I think maybe your Matrix with oxides is not working for you completely try a 60k diamond with the Matrix.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:16 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

glhays wrote:
capcuadrate wrote:

I have found that 600, 3k diamond, 8k diamond, 60k diamond works for me, sintered, batt &or zinc+, batt. All pre and polish with Wd40. I find using 1200 or 3k electroplated type laps create surface pitting in both natural and synthetic Spinel. I think maybe your Matrix with oxides is not working for you completely try a 60k diamond with the Matrix.

I had a very similar experience,
#200, #600, then tried #1200 off and on
8k diamond on copper, 60k diamond on a softish tin.
I used primarily water instead of wd40.

The 1200 seemed to cause a ton of pits to suddenly appear halfway through the 8k stage, to the point where it felt faster going 600->8k than deal with uncovering the random pitting on large facets and having to grind those away at 8k. I spent a lot of time wishing I had some 3k diamond lying around.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:55 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

flyingcat wrote:
glhays wrote:
capcuadrate wrote:

I had a very similar experience,
#200, #600, then tried #1200 off and on
8k diamond on copper, 60k diamond on a softish tin.
I used primarily water instead of wd40.

The 1200 seemed to cause a ton of pits to suddenly appear halfway through the 8k stage, to the point where it felt faster going 600->8k than deal with uncovering the random pitting on large facets and having to grind those away at 8k. I spent a lot of time wishing I had some 3k diamond lying around.

Using a 1200 lap on a 8k/14k/60k surface will almost always produce this, you have to completely remove the entire polished surface until the 1200k has reached it's surface level. Many times that is not the objective of trying to use a 1200k to remove a blemish or slight scratch, so doing so seems like more evil then intended. This effect can happen on many gemstones with a 1200k lap. But spinel has a tendency to pit in the 1200 to 3k stages and if not removed the polish will always look cloudy to some degree. In my opinion most natural spinel looks cloudy by nature.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:57 pm 
Valued Contributor

The best Rose Quartz I've laid eyes on, Madagascar origin and 18ct. Cut by Troy Richardson.

18ctw Peruvian Blue Opal, cut by Hans Durstling

1.8ct Unheated Montana Sapphire, cut by Jon Schwing

Sorry I haven't been around much lately, pandemic has seriously cut into my free time. Love seeing everyone's work as always!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:53 pm 
Gold Member

I've a thing for translucent materials... Just yesterday I was thinking about getting a piece of phrenite to cut another "lime"-themed stone. :D

But that rose quartz is really something.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:55 pm 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

flyingcat, you're braver than me! No way will I be making designs! Really, a brilliant job for your third stone. =D>
I have a few sitting on dops from years ago waiting to be finished..I've finally worked out two pavs to know what I was cutting, so maybe mine will be a mish mash of cuts ...lol, a new design after all. Of course, back then, I was also starting to go through some dramatic eye changes. I now finally have glasses which hopefully will work while wearing a visor so I can see the meets and scratches. So when these few come off the dop, they ain't gonna be purdy but they will represent some life changing moments I've been through.

capcuadrate, that is a beauty! :P ...but what is it?

oh ephsea!!!! :smt118 Marco can have that rose..I want to immerse myself in the Blue opals! Beautiful material!

Most of the fire on the wall has been put out :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:35 am 
Valued Contributor

mehoose wrote:

its synthetic Spinell. A bit special as they have been produced in Bitterfeld GDR. That production has stopped after Germanys unification. Its 14.2 ct and is Marco's Squillant design.

I am surprised about the remarks on 1200 laps.I knew that for the 3000 but the 1200 is used a lot by me. Does that apply to toppers only or would a sintered lap be better?

Martin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:00 am 

capcuadrate wrote:
mehoose wrote:

its synthetic Spinell. A bit special as they have been produced in Bitterfeld GDR. That production has stopped after Germanys unification. Its 14.2 ct and is Marco's Squillant design.

I am surprised about the remarks on 1200 laps.I knew that for the 3000 but the 1200 is used a lot by me. Does that apply to toppers only or would a sintered lap be better?

Martin

Whoa, that is some size and it is indeed special with its history. Is it a colour, or clear and that's just reflecting colours in the room?

Between you and me, Marco doesn't get the recognition he deserves with his designs. He pretty much inspired many folk to give designing a go and dare I say, was the impetus for some to try their hand at creating programs... especially among GO members.

Then come back to the roots and Barbra must be like a proud mama looking over all the life changing careers that have begun and blossomed from right here on GO.

I digress down memory lane...
Hopefully someone else will chime in on your lap query. I too remember it as being the 3000, but maybe the 1200 is just specifically for Spinel/Synth Spinel?
I think it will be a case of listening to the elders O:) and making note of what does/doesn't work for ourselves...a bit like tomato/tomarto.

I need to get myself a proper ledger book, but I'm writing down every stone/design/laps/grits/results... hadn't thought of speed but seeing what works best and trying something else if not satisfactory.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:08 am 
Valued Contributor

Sorry that Spinell is not "Squillant" I jumped a line in my notes. Squillant is a Rose Quarz. Taken quickly with my Phone

Attachments:
Rose Quarz.jpg
Rose Quarz.jpg [ 2.34 MiB | Viewed 650 times ]
Rosenquarz3.jpg
Rosenquarz3.jpg [ 1.88 MiB | Viewed 650 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:17 am 

And if I'd scrolled back up to your image I would've picked up on that... I'm slippin! :wink:

Ooo another rose! I should try taking some pics with my camera and phone, see if I do any better after all these years off. I think the gems and cameras will stick together and take out a restraining order. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:53 am 
Valued Contributor

getting the color right is often difficult and certainly wrong on that Spinel. It starts with the black color of the phone reflecting in the stone. Actually I am reluctant to invest into proper photo equipment. I would rather look for a sintered lap to replace at least one of my toppers. 600 or 1200 first ?

that is the same Spinell. its rather dark green.

Martin

Attachments:
20200923_085801.jpg
20200923_085801.jpg [ 1.86 MiB | Viewed 639 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 616, 617, 618, 619, 620, 621, 622  Next