All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: new UltraTec VL Classic
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:51 am 
Established Member

Interesting evolution.
https://www.ultratec-facet.com/product/ultra-tec-vl/

Post subject: Re: new UltraTec VL Classic
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:37 am 

I think this is a good move on Ultra-Tec's part. Lowering the price with a solid looking machine that is competitively priced against Facetron. I like the looks of this machine. I am not a fan of a digital machine. Eventually the electronics will fail like all electronic devices do whereas the analog machine rarely gives any problem. Also not a big fan of the crank mast either. There is no doubt that Ultra-Tec has made a quality, long lasting machine for decades. I feel like this new version will be a winner too. I would use it as a soft stop machine with the dial indicator where there would be no flex problem whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:14 am 
Established Member

I have been looking at one on their website this morning and am going to call them when they open. I have only one question... Does the machine accept non-keyed dops? Like most folks, I have a lot of dops that aren't keyed and am not looking forward to replacing them.

I also am on the fence about the digital encoder. I have two machines now... Both Polymetric, one with a digital encoder and one with a regular protractor.

If I buy the UT, I'll sell the analog Polymetric machine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:13 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Is it just me or is the mast height shorter?

I saw that they had released this literally right after I purchased a second-hand v2 for $3500 CAD and I probably would have considered it. But all things considered, I still think I got a good deal given that the v2 came with dops, laps, and a bunch of extras. Plus, I think taxes and shipping to Canada would've killed me if I bought a new one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:39 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Lowjiber wrote:
I have been looking at one on their website this morning and am going to call them when they open. I have only one question... Does the machine accept non-keyed dops? Like most folks, I have a lot of dops that aren't keyed and am not looking forward to replacing them.

I also am on the fence about the digital encoder. I have two machines now... Both Polymetric, one with a digital encoder and one with a regular protractor.

Couldn't you just put a 45 degree end on your existing dops to work with the ultratec keyed dop system?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:23 am 
Established Member

1bwana1 wrote:
Couldn't you just put a 45 degree end on your existing dops to work with the ultratec keyed dop system?

Sure I could. I just didn't want to "have to". Polymetric dops are "keyed" with a groove, but the quill will accept any kind of dop. I don't use the keying anyway.

Since writing my post above, I've discovered that the UT quill will indeed accept straight, un-keyed dops. I sent the order in yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:45 pm 
Valued Contributor

Lowjiber wrote:

I am assuming that you have a Scintillator and probably a prismatic model which are you letting go of and have you got a price in mind.
Greg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:31 am 
Established Member

glhays wrote:
I am assuming that you have a Scintillator and probably a prismatic model which are you letting go of and have you got a price in mind.
Greg

I don't have either, Greg. One is a Xrystal=tec 99 (Digital) and the other is a Xrystal-tec 92 which is an updated version of the "87"... larger motor, etc. I'll be selling the 92.