Rivista Italiana di Gemmologia #2: Available NOW in English - September 2017; See Gemological Articles below for full details!
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Run Gemcad on a Mac!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:36 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hey folks, I can hardly contain my excitement!

on the USG Faceters list someone mentioned a new program called Crossover http://www.codeweavers.com/products /

It runs Windows program on Macs with Intel Processors WITHOUT having to buy windows or reboot your machine! Very cool.

I am running the free trial right now and it has worked pretty well(for the last half hour that I have been fooling around.)

Crossover is free for 30 days and then I think it is $40 but I think that is worth it if the only thing you run windows for is Gemcad which is the case of many cutters I think.

http://www.johndyergems.com
Artisitic and designer gems

http://www.ultratecfacetingmachine.com
Authorized Ultra Tec dealer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:16 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Wow -- that looks like a great product. I've been wishing for something like that for quite a long time now. Virtual PC works fine, but is pretty cumbersome. I'd jump on this if I were not still using pre-Intel Mac.

Thanks for the tip, John!

peter

<><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:47 pm 
Gold Member

We have discussed it at USFG list ... Gemcad for Windows will run in most flavors of Linux in WINE (a Windows emulator). Gemcad for DOS will not run in Linux or Vista.

Less work from Robert Strickland as graphical application ports to other OS' like that are no joy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:46 pm 
Gold Member

I've been playing with it as well. For printing, image copying or writing to pdf, it's worth opening Parallels. That's a small part of the time, and can be batched. GemCAD under Crossover is much, much faster on my Mac than Parallels so unless I need to print I'm sold.

Now to check how our birdwatching SW works with it :-)

Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:03 pm 
Gold Member

I use Parallels, well not very often as most things I do using OSX, and so far it has run any Windows program I need. Seems that a lot of programs wont' run completely with Crossover, but if it runs Gemcad fine, I'll give it a try. I use Quickbooks for my bookkeeping, and I see that will not run on it. I still have the old PC next to the mac and use it for some tasks. Quickbooks makes a Mac version, but you can't import your old PC files, so that's a real bummer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:11 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

lelser wrote:
I've been playing with it as well. For printing, image copying or writing to pdf, it's worth opening Parallels. That's a small part of the time, and can be batched. GemCAD under Crossover is much, much faster on my Mac than Parallels so unless I need to print I'm sold.

Now to check how our birdwatching SW works with it :-)

Lisa

I personally dislike the layout and other things about the way Gemcad makes a cutting diagram so I always copy out the cutting instructions and window that you see the 4 views of the gem in into a word processor. This has worked well on Windows but in the interest of getting rid of Windows (SLOWWW to start up and many other issues) I am pretty enthusiastic about this method of running Gemcad on a Mac.

The copying of the cutting instructions etc seems to work normally from Gemcad in Crossover into a word processor that the Mac is running natively.

What has been a touch of a snag has been the picture of the gem itself that Gemcad has "cut".

While not an ideal solution you can make the gemcad window that you want the diagram from as BIG as possible on your screen and take a screenshot of it. To do this click on your desktop to get into the Mac environment but still have the gemcad screen up, (not sure if this Click is necessary but I did it). Hold down command, shift and 4 all at the same time and it will give you a crosshairs instead of your mouse arrow that you click and hold as you drag to choose the part of the screen you want an image of.

When you let go of the mouse button the area that was darkened is made into an image that usually ends up on your Mac desktop. The file name will be "picture1" "picture2" etc.

It will not be super High Res (72dpi I think) so the higher res you want the bigger you should take your original screen shot and then shrink it down in size to improve the resolution in an image editor. This results in bitmap image that has Gemcad's blue background so it is maybe not ideal still but it works.

I am trying and really liking Pages which is part of the iWork bundle as a word processor, in it you can drag and drop pictures where you want them and resize them as you want. To get rid of the blue background on the screenshot you just took you can fool around with the "Adjust image" toolbar and increase the sharpness and also use the levels slider to take out the blue color. I only did this once but it seems to work well. Also Pages allows you to mask and crop out parts of the original screeshot that you do not want or need.

Sometimes I only want part of the gemcad gem image to show step by step what needs to be done in cutting without taking up so much room on the page (by having to have the ENTIRE image of the gem) so it is nice to be able to "crop" the image, Pages allows me to do this with "Mask Image". This part is actually quite an improvement over the way it works in Windows.

Anyone else found out another way to make it work that is good and easy? Especially one that exports the four view as some kind of vector image like it does on a PC?

http://www.johndyergems.com
Artisitic and designer gems

http://www.ultratecfacetingmachine.com
Authorized Ultra Tec dealer.

Post subject: Re: Run Gemcad on a Mac!!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:17 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi Guys,

I have a small problem and i don't know if anyone ever encountered it before me.
I run Gemcad on my Mac through WinonX. It's a nice little program that runs directly any file.exe on your mac without having to really install windows like you would with parallels or crossover. It's exactly like Wine
It runs like a charm...really...almost! :)
The only issue that i have is regarding the printer. I can print any diagrams i want (so far, no problem) BUT it doesn't want to print the angles and indexes. AND when i look at the print preview, it directly shows the same mistakes encountered on the actual printing. SO, i am pretty sure that the problem doesn't come from my printer but elsewhere? Any guesses? Advices? Any help would be more than welcomed!

Maxime