Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Tips for Success on The GemologyOnline Marketplace
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

GemologyOnline Marketplace Policy

We don't allow our members to use GO Marketplace to contact each other to make offers to buy or sell items outside of GO Marketplace. Also, members can't use information obtained from GO Marketplace to contact each other about buying or selling outside of GO Marketplace.

If you receive an offer to buy or sell outside eBay, please report it to Marketplace@gemologyonline.com

Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, you may be subject to a range of actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.

Successful selling on the GemologyOnline Marketplace comes down to one thing -- common sense and some individual effort. :D

1- Sell a product worth buying. This is pretty self-evident. Would YOU buy a crappy or overpriced item? Nope, didn't think so.

2- Photos. Photos are an integral part of successful selling. You are selling online. People cannot personally inspect, loupe or hold your items. Your photographs are your customer’s only way of getting a sense of the integrity of your product. Therefore, settling for out of focus, mediocre, poorly framed, poorly lit photos is not a great idea. Take the extra time to really showcase your piece.

Some Photo Hints:
• ~Use a neutral background. Depending on your piece,it can be light or dark. Make your item the focal. Using props can sometime help....but they often detract.

• ~Natural lighting can work for picture taking, but direct sunlight isn't the best. One does not need a Photo Studio to take a great shot. One can set up a great light box on any table. You can buy or make these. There are several tips on our forum for photographing gems and jewelry: http://gemologyonline.com/Forum/phpBB2/ ... m.php?f=57

• ~Do not use your flash. #-o

• ~Get close-ups of your items from various angles. Take care to make sure your shot is well focused. You can use a photo editing program to crop, brighten, and otherwise edit your photos. PhotoShop is great, but there is a learning curve and it is pricey. Picasa is free. Use photo editing software only to make the photo look more like the item looks in person, not better than it looks in real life.

• ~Remember, a good photo is the ticket for a good sale!

3- Make sure you thoroughly describe your item. Size, weight, color, clarity, origin, treatments, etc. In addition it is a smart idea to add information and observations that set your piece apart from others. Remember the old marketing phrase, “Sell the sizzle, not the steak.”

4- Do not list items with the expectation that they will immediately sell because they are available. Do not rely on the GemologyOnline Marketplace to sell for you. Think of it as renting a storefront. The Marketplace is a venue.

5- Promote, market and network your shop. It takes a bit of work and some directed effort. Some of the simplest ways to do this is to participate in the GemologyOnline Forum and:
• ~http://www.twitter.com/ Twitter is a great networking site that doesn't take a lot of time or energy. Use it to show what just sold, what's been relisted, what specials or sales you are running, new items that were listed, etc.

And on and on and on...
• ~http://www.facebook.com/
• ~http://www.myspace.com/
• ~http://www.flickr.com/
• ~http://www.plumdrop.com/
• ~http://www.pinterest.com/
• ~Business cards. Print some on your computer or check out http://www.vistaprint.com/. They have good business cards at very decent prices...or even free and you just pay shipping. Include a business card or two with every parcel. Hand them out to friends, family, strangers.
• ~Emails? Include a link to your GemologyOnline Marketplace Shop in the signature line of your email...and in the signature line of every online forum you belong to.
• ~Word of mouth. Have your friends and family let other people know about your shop. :wink:

6.- Consider renewing items in your shop with some frequency, because it brings you to the front page.

7- Tag your items properly and use as many tags as you can! These are important! If someone is searching for something in the Marketplace it's the tags that will make your item appear in the search. So if you are selling a silver garnet ring, and you don't have "ring" or "silver" in your tags, someone searching for a Silver Ring won’t find you.

8- Fill out your profile and shop policies completely. Cover all the basics. What is your return policy? How long after receiving an order do you ship it out? How do you ship? USPS? Parcel Post? First Class? Priority? UPS? Fed-Ex? These are important things that are important to folks considering a purchase on GemologyOnline Marketplace.

9- Price your item correctly. Do a Google search. Search on eBay, Etsy, etc. Find a formula that works for you! But, don’t undersell yourself either. Price YOUR items so you make a reasonable profit. Don't base your pricing on what other shops are doing. Worry about your own shop and convey why your items and service are an excellent value.

10.) Speaking of customer service, offer the best customer service, and stick to your policies. If there is a problem with an item you sent out, fix it. Send out another item or offer to reimburse the customer. If a package never makes it to the destination, it is your responsibility to replace or reimburse the customer. Many folks erroneously believe that once a package leaves their hands, they are no longer responsible.
Not true. The customer has up to 45 days to file a claim with Paypal if the package is not received. You ARE responsible. [-X

The short of it is, if you run your shop well and have great customer service, your buyer is more apt to come back again. 8)

Post subject: Re: Tips for Success on The GemologyOnline Marketplace
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:04 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Thanks...
Worth Sharing..!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

LOL.....yes, I thought so. :?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:59 am 
Valued Contributor

Thank you Barbra,

Perfect timing for me, I finished a synthetic ruby last week and I am thinking of selling it here.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:47 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Facetnator wrote:
Thank you Barbra,

Perfect timing for me, I finished a synthetic ruby last week and I am thinking of selling it here.

What sort of cut? I love synthetic ruby.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:38 pm 
Valued Contributor

It is square 4.1ct. when I get a good picture of it I will post it on the 'off the dop' thread.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:17 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Facetnator wrote:
Thank you Barbra,

Written a year and a half ago :lol: (but, yes, still great information!)

barbaraellisdesigns.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:36 am 
Valued Contributor

I am a little slow sometimes :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:58 pm 
Established Member

Very helpful to new comers like me and proper way to build image. Be honest.