Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Unique cut development
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:56 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hello,

I'm not sure if the topic is right in here, but I thought it fits quite good in here. Tough, I'm a beginner but I know more or less what I want to find out. If you like you still can move the Topic.

The second thing: I'm no native English speaker, so I have to say sorry for any mistakes!

My problem or question:

I'm working on a design for a unique ring. I'm happy with the results but there's still a diamond missing for it.

I searched every wholesale website and anything I could find about different cuts. Sure, the usual cuts are expensive... but not that unique according to the amount of cut stones. So I looked quite a while for the more unusual new branded cuts. I had to find out they are so special it's impossible to get them anywhere, at least loose ones.

Now a couple of days ago I found a website where they cut custom shapes. I like the idea very much, but I don't want that much a completely unusual "shape" (they offer e.g. letter shaped stones) just a unique cut according to facets on a "normal" shape like a round stone or a simple polygon.

I already had an idea, found the gemcad software... and failed hopelessly on getting it work on my linux computer. Searching for information on the angles of the facets I found this topic:

viewtopic.php?t=10529

So it looks like there are people in here, who know what they're doing! Some good news for me...

So I would like to ask if it makes any sense to develop a new cut. Sure it's possible, just the question is if it would look good without working on it for years (as I read about some new branded cuts), how much and how difficult work this is or even if someone would be able to help me with this.

I think one of the questions will be what a cut I think of, so I try to describe it (if not clear, I would add some drawings later).

I'm thinking of something like the royal asscher cut as a pentagon with two (or more if necessary) extra facets on each corner of the crown and the pavilion to get some star shape look through this.

I hope someone has the knowledge if this idea makes sense and if this is so, if it would look good or if the stone would loose any sparkle due to inappropriate angles and loss of light. I would like to get a mix of sparkling parts in the stone and some clear (star) shape in contrast to that.

Thanks to everyone helping me with this!

Regards, Pawel

Post subject: Re: Unique cut development
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:14 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

Pawel,
From a print, a diamond cutter who can read the print, could cut the stone you want. In what country do you reside?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:18 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hello Thomas,

I live in Germany.
I'm sure a diamond cutter could do this... the question is if it would look good or if it would be a lot of money wasted.
I made a quick sketch of my idea (with gimp). Not good, not even symmetrical... just a two minute pic so everyone can imagine more or less what I'm thinking of. Crown on the top, pavilion on the bottom of the pic.

Regards, Pawel

Attachments:
dia.jpg
dia.jpg [ 44.75 KiB | Viewed 3683 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:33 pm 

That could definitely be cut in diamond. I think the design is similar to a number of colored stone faceting designs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:05 pm 
Established Member

The pentagon in the culet won't be pentagonal but 10 sided based on the diagram. Just FYI.

Gerald

PS - And of course the facets radiating from the corners will not have straight edges but segmented curves.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:24 pm 

G_T wrote:
The pentagon in the culet won't be pentagonal but 10 sided based on the diagram. Just FYI.
Gerald
PS - And of course the facets radiating from the corners will not have straight edges but segmented curves.

Good observation. That is where GemCad or real faceting comes into play as a reality check.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:51 am 
As a diamond and coloured stone cutter this wont be easy in either. The diamond will have two out of five on the hard corners.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:53 pm 

ultraset wrote:
As a diamond and coloured stone cutter this wont be easy in either. The diamond will have two out of five on the hard corners.

I don't understand what you mean by "two out of five". Depending on the table orientation, the stone may not have "hard corners".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:39 pm 
For a start you need a tang with a five fold click system, thats a special order unless you want to cheat by hand and eye or use a copper tail tang. draw a square in a pentagon and two facets are on the corner wings are close to the harder cutting sections of the diamond. Not impossible but not fun thats all im saying. I love a challenge. I cut a pentagonal barion many years ago just for the fun of it. Took three days.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:50 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi Pawel,

Heres a quick mark up of your design in GemCad. Its different and perhaps not ideally suited for cutting diamonds in, but the scintillation is kind of interesting. The culet tier didn't add to the performance of the design, so I left it out.

Cheers,
GR

Attachments:
DiamondTest.jpg
DiamondTest.jpg [ 146.28 KiB | Viewed 3453 times ]
DiamondTest1Sml.jpg
DiamondTest1Sml.jpg [ 195.2 KiB | Viewed 3453 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:15 pm 

Nice modeling. I wonder what the finished stone would look like.