January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Magic Stones
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:09 am 
Established Member

A few years ago, I bought a mineral collection out of the back of a truck at a show. Everything came from an estate sale. The mineral collection was a set of Atlantis Stones that allowed the user to transcend reality. I toss the occult stuff and kept the minerals. Then the day got stranger, at the same show a customer started yelling at a seller that he was a murderer and had killed something, his smokey quartz used to be alive and was killed by radiation. That he had burned the royal amethyst in fire to create his dead citrine. The seller mastery talked the customer out of their rage. I was in the middle of this trying to buy something.

Has this kind of event happened to anyone on this site?

Post subject: Re: Magic Stones
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

Alrighty then.
Where do we start?

Metaphysical claims.
Many people believe them, therefore, they are a reality to them. I don't believe it, therefore, it is not reality for me.

It is thought by many followers that treatments to gems and minerals cancel their spiritual potential. This is not just a western philosophical position, but also believed in Vedic astrology.

Lots of issues with your experience, Arami.
The original vendor was using Atlantis as a marketing tool. Snake oil salesman.

The color of smoky quartz is the result of natural irradiation, not artificial.
Most all citrine started out as amethyst and was heated in order to turn it yellow. Difficult to prove that citrine is naturally colored, not treated amethyst. I have been told that natural citrine is dichroic whereas heated is not. :smt102 Haven't personally tested it.

Yes, over the years, I have encountered many who swear by the powers inherent to certain gem materials. If you look through some of the papers I've posted in the Archaeogemology section, you'll see that these beliefs have lasted for thousands of years.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:36 pm 
Gold Member

Can not say I have. I am with Barbra's points on the metaphysical not a true believer. I have hacked and ground so many gemstones over the years, my shockra is non existent.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:57 pm 
Gold Member

I do my best to avoid such drama in life. Even more so when it involves liars and these like you describe.

End of discussion for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:01 am 
Gold Member

1) A LOT of smokey quartz has been radiated - just look at the smokey quartz that comes along with a lot of topaz from Afghanistan. Black as coal.

2) If crystals worked for healing, I would be one very healthy guy. :-D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:53 am 
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools

I handle the issue with absolute truth.

"My faceting machine is aligned to True North".

The house happened to be built that way. With the quill in the center of the lap, it is pointing to geographic North. (15° W magnetic deviation.)

(Literally) Imagine the vibrations trapped in the crystal. My stones are sung of in legend.

Even the sphere of LAKN5 is prophetic.

Attachments:
cballSELL.jpg
cballSELL.jpg [ 332.51 KiB | Viewed 4426 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:40 pm 
Gold Member

Let me guess, people who think they have free-will and have been making a choice while they are actually just blindly repeating some behavioural scheme which simply originates in unresolved personal difficulties that they can't even see, because at some point they buried these behind some comforting arbitrary conceptions instead of facing their own reality. The illusion of choice in turn distracting them from many opportunities of making actual choices, which emerge from the will of breeding a reasonable level of doubt about what are the possible motivations behind their own actions and thoughts, as well as to what they think they know about what other people are. Not an easy task, we all fail at it, but being conscious that we're not so much in control of what we call "myself" is certainly a good start to gain some further freedom of choice.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

cascaillou wrote:
Let me guess, people who think they have free-will and have been making a choice while they are actually just blindly repeating some behavioural scheme which simply originates in unresolved personal difficulties that they can't even see, because at some point they buried these behind some comforting arbitrary conceptions instead of facing their own reality. The illusion of choice in turn distracting them from many opportunities of making actual choices, which emerge from the will of breeding a reasonable level of doubt about what are the possible motivations behind their own actions and thoughts, as well as to what they think they know about what other people are. Not an easy task, we all fail at it, but being conscious that we're not so much in control of what we call "myself" is certainly a good start to gain some further freedom of choice.

OK, so you're suggesting we keep the bitcoin, right?

:wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:03 pm 
Gold Member

I don't know so much about bitcoins so I'm not sure about what I'm missing to grab that reference. Helplessness.

Besides, re-discovering what I said in my previous post with brand new eyes, I'm a bit disappointed of myself being such a condescending prick...I'm necessarily so much more than that...In the meanwhile, I'd also appreciate if the anonymous telepaths who have been having all the talking inside my head for the past few decades could diversify their debates with other topics than banalities such as what "I" feel, what "I" want, or what do "I" believe... at least if they do care about maintaining their audience interest and keep using this space for their meetings without paying a rent for the place. One thing for sure, none of them ever mentioned anything about murdering rocks, since it's simply an impossibility, seriously.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:57 am 
Site Admin

LOL, my bitcoin comment was meant to be funny.

Reviewing your original comment, I must say, inherent skepticism coupled with a sprinkling of misanthropy makes me inclined to agree with you.

Although, I must admit, I'll pick up every penny I find on the street and still make wishes on dandelions.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 2:23 pm 
Gold Member

We just returned from a morning rode trip from Pala, picked up some large chunks of schorl. We were on top of our charkra all the way back to the shop. We looked at each other with curiosity for a brief moment and I blurted out $10 for mine, and she said $15 for hers. I printed the tags, she placed them in the Riker box and closed the cabinet.
We felt good about this little morning rode ride, but that essentially was all it was. We spent 80$ in gas, 40$ to a small rock shop for the charkra.
story by:BS 2022

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 2:32 pm 
Gold Member

@ Barbra:

Well I don't think doubting is incompatible with beliefs, rather I think doubt is not only quite necessary to keep your mind open whatever your beliefs might be, but I also feel that doubting actually means that you're making an act of faith, rather than just being blinded by some form of denial.

As a side note about the place of faith in our everyday life: when you feel at home, that's already a form of faith. Indeed, territory is just a concept related to the occupation of places, but objectively, places do not really belong to people and people do not belong to places. Yet, you may feel more than just occupating the place, you may feel home (which certainly feels more comforting than the crude reality that you cannot take anything for granted in life).

@glhays: nice story :)