January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Where to sell Jewellery
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:57 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hello fellas. I have a collection of jewellery I need to sell ASAP. The few jewellers I took them lowballed me. Places such as Oliver Jewellery and Harold the Jewellery Buyer. I think these jewellers call each other as soon as the seller leaves their shop informing others of the product for sale and what to offer. My question is where can I sell my jewellery for a fair price. I know where to sell gold. The refinery!!!! They only charge me 2% but the jewellers charge 15%

Ebay won't let me list item valued more than $2000 and I have items that are worth much more than that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Where to sell Jewellery
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:54 pm 

22 views and not 1 answer? Come on fellas, someone has to know an someone.....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

The great majority of jewelry manufactured is mass produced commercial product, made to reflect the current fashion as inexpensively as possible.

When the season is over or the market over-satiated, it can be difficult (understatement) to retrieve much over scrap for the items.

Why do you feel your items would not fall into this commercial classification?

Are these signed designer pieces, antiques, vintage, hand fabricated, one-of-a kind?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:10 pm 
Gold Member

sammytheman wrote:
I think these jewellers call each other as soon as the seller leaves their shop informing others of the product for sale and what to offer. My question is where can I sell my jewellery for a fair price. I know where to sell gold. The refinery!!!! They only charge me 2% but the jewellers charge 15%

Ebay won't let me list item valued more than $2000 and I have items that are worth much more than that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Having worked for and then owned a retail shop for a number of years I would have to say that I very much doubt that these folks are calling each other about your stuff. More likely, they are figuring the scrap value and then offering you some percentage of that. Remember that most retailers are paying 2 to 3 times less than retail for much of their inventory and so it would be silly to think that they will pay a retail cost for some older stuff. As Barbra has indicated, your pieces would need to be of very fine quality for a retailer to consider re-selling them. They would more than likely tear them down, scrap the metal and dump any stones on the secondary market.

I would wonder how you have arrived at the value of your pieces. Have a you had an accurate, reliable appraisal done on them? Have you asked the appraiser where they would sell them if they owned them? I think that you need more information about what you have and some good advice on how to proceed. The best advice is advice that is paid for from a professional. While there are people in that part of the trade, (appraisals), who participate here, I doubt if they will give any pointed advice without knowing precisely what you have. I would suggest that you find an appraiser, let them do their thing, get better information and advice from them and proceed from there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:25 am 

There are a various Jewellers on the net which will help you to buy your jewellery.

I think you should try to search it online or contact with your home jewellers they will gives you assistance which will help you to sold your jewellery.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 am 

I agree, try to search jewellers in the internet, they will assist you! but read the comments about them to avoid frauds

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:31 pm 
Established Member

Craigslist is good. You can post for free and keep posting as long as like.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:07 am 

I have a wide collection of silver jewelry but i want to get a loan against jewellery, can you help me know where can i get it at a low-interest rate.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

No, sorry. That is now what our platform is about.