January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Charge back on Paypal payment?
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:18 am 
Gold Member

I was shocked today when I received a charge back notice from Paypal stating that a customer was claiming that I used their credit card without them or their card being present, (very strange since I had no idea that a credit card was ever involved). This was for a small repair job on a ring that I made about 5 years ago. The customer was not happy with the repair and sent it back to have me make a new ring with all of the parts. I quoted her on the new ring and gave her a 25% discount because she had me make this the first time and it never suited her. I still have the ring in my possession and then receive this charge back with no warning or comment from her at all. What a nut case to stick me while I have her ring in my hands. I can hardly wait to hear her explanation for this when she asks me to ship her ring back. ](*,)

The question that I have from those of you who use Paypal a lot is, "Is this common with them?" They have to know that the client initiated the payment in the first place, so why the need for me to respond to some moronic questions about actually having a transaction and shipping info to prove that I am not being fraudulent? How would I even get a hold of her credit card info? I feel like I have run into something from a Kurt Vonnegut or George Orwell novel. #-o

Post subject: Re: Charge back on Paypal payment?
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:59 am 

I've had a few dealings with Paypal's customer service and have always found them to be correct and helpful on the phone. Give 'm a ring and ask them how they feel about your customer's claim. It is likely no human has looked at it yet, all that shit is generated automatically.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:44 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

^ This.

Also, a credit card may have been involved on her end (it's up to her how she gets the money to the PayPal folks), but it's just confusing to present that info to you.

Patuxent Lapidary Guild

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:33 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools

If the dispute was an EBay-centric one like "Not as described" the chargeback originates with Paypal, and they can take the funds out of the associated bank account.
If the chargeback originates with the CC, it starts a cascade.
Paypal is heavily biased in favor of the customer-The are owned by Ebay, and if they did not do so, no one would use EBay. (Disputes aside about whether or not it would be a better world..)

This has led to many sellers being ripped off by a variety of devices, "Never got it", or finding some minor fault with the transaction. etc,.

If the vendor was never given an opportunity to remedy a dispute, then the chargeback is just a punitive and malicious act-A tantrum.