A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Grow a forest at home
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:54 am 
Gold Member

Beautiful terrarium!

How to:

Inside a large glass jar, place a 2-3cm layer of gravels (non chalky) mixed with pieces of activated charcoal, on top of it place a thin black geotexile-felt (or use a layer of sphagnum moss instead) which will avoid the substrate to fall into the gravels layer, and then add 5 to 12cm of substrate on top (depending on plant species, some could do fine in 5-6cm while other plants, such as carnivorous plants, will do better with 10-12cm of substrate)
Of course, the jar must be be big enough so that the gravel&substrate will only occupy between 1/3 and 1/2 of its height (otherwise the plants will lack air).

The key is to choose plants that do not grow too big or too fast, and that will do well in indirect sunlight (there are many websites which feature lists of appropriate plants for terrariums). As a side note, never grow cacti or succulent plants in a terrarium, terrarium are high humidity which would soon cause those to die (root rot) as such plants are meant to grow in arid environnements.
Moss is placed at the surface of the substrate for aesthetics, but also because it will stabilize the substrate's reliefs (thus avoiding "landslides" when watering).

A terrarium will require very little care:
do not overwater, usually one or two watering per month will be enough for an open terrarium, or even once a year for a closed terrarium! If it's a closed terrarium, open it from time to time so to renew the air. No fertilizing is required (actually you do not want to boost growth in such a confined space). Occasionally you might want to pinch or trim a plant that is growing too big. Place the terrarium in a bright area, but not in direct sunlight (as the temperature would rise too high inside). If things are done properly, a terrarium might last for 15-20 years.

I'm myself currently making a small terrarium for carnivorous plants (such plants require special care and thus aren't recommended for lazy gardeners, but they are fascinating). Just check this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ4unqMEDjc

Post subject: Re: Grow a forest at home
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:12 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools

"FEED Me!"
I had a friend who had a Venus Flytrap. It was amazing to watch. So much so that I think it died from obesity, because one time I visited it was not there any more. I decided not to ask, as I was not invited to the funeral.