January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: When we are ready to lose everything and be happy!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:23 pm 
Valued Contributor

Probably there will be no more new stones researches, no more new pictures of inclusions and no more business. I will try now as soon as I can sell my tools, my microscope, cameras and what ever I have. Except of these things and very a few collected gems I have nothing worthy...

My dog Vick got sick. He has hemangiopericytoma schwannoma. Multiple tumors and whole right back leg swollen. He does not have pain jet, but has discomfort. And these tumors must be removed surgically. We have no time to wait as tumors keep growing deeper. To long to wait may cause or his death, or as minimum - amputation of his leg. I have now idea jet how much it will cost me, but it is not affordable for me at all. So only the way - forget about business, about interests, about gemmology and sell everything to gain founds for my Vick. He is more important then anything...

We expected tomorrow get his grooming and on way home pass butcher store for big bone - tomorrow his Birthday...

Now I'm confused, I do not know what to do, how do I save my dog.

Post subject: Re: When we are ready to lose everything and be happy!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

I am so sorry to hear this news.

Some years ago, my favorite cat of all times got very ill.
I was willing to spend whatever was necessary to save Spots.
I found a specialty university hospital which was willing to try to treat him...... for several thousand dollars. No guarantees.

My regular vet called me and advised against the treatment. She said I might be acting out of selfishness.
Rather than accept that the prognosis for my cat was dismal and treatment would be unpleasant at best, with a very remote chance that he would ever regain a quality life, I was reacting to how devastated I would be in MY life without Spots.

She was right.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:18 pm 
Valued Contributor

I understand you, Barbra...

Our situation is a bit different. I learned today half day all I found in publications about this disease Vick has... Still I have some biological background in my education and practice so I am able to understand this. With surgery done in time we have good chance for him to have at least another year or two of normal full life... There is very possible this disease to return and tumors to re-grown, but within a time. As he is 7 years old, he has just 1 - 2 years of being "not old", being as always full of energy, playful, running, swimming..

I am sure it make sense to me to take him for surgery. Price does not matter to me. It is very easy to lose having nothing and very difficult to live knowing that you did not do what you could...

Again - our diagnosis is not a death warrant. But it is challenge for me and him. Recovery after surgery with whole leg like one large open cut will be very difficult and will take time... I never was afraid of any challenge.. And he is Risen Schnauzer (Giant Schnauzer as being called here in North America)... He does not know what does it mean to be afraid of anything... We will do it..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

My heart goes out to you.
Have you considered a "Go Fund Me" page?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:27 pm 
Valued Contributor

Never even heard about this... I will try to find and look what is that..

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:43 am 
Valued Contributor

https://www.gofundme.com//26qsqqt4

Thank you, Barbra. My wife posted there. Hope it will help..

I did not know anything about this site...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:15 pm 
Valued Contributor

THANK YOU, BARBRA!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:05 pm 
Gold Member

Have you considered asking a veterinary school, they usually will do what you need for cheap if not for free (at least in my country), of course that means students will get involved in the surgery, but well that's a compromise to be made. Students should be under supervision of an experienced teacher anyway, and usually they will take good care of your pets.

Another way around would be considering a bank credit.

Also, if your dog would ever loose his leg, keep in mind that animals don't take handicap as seriously as human do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:55 pm 
Valued Contributor

Yes, we did... Nothing like that any more over here. In campus of Montreal University we went yesterday, payed off $270 , got consultation, some medication and refused to take dog for surgery due we could not add 50% of their estimation as down payment. Estimation was $3800 without medication and without taxes, total it could come over $5000! Even we are their clients (my wife) over 25 years, they did not want to give any solution. No payment-plan, does not matter that we do not owe them anything and never was..

Another college, Vanier, they have vet school, took our phone and said they will call us by end of Sep.

Many things changed here... And nothing to the better...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:44 am 
Gold Member

you may also try calling various animal protection institutions and associations, sometimes they have low cost agreements with a few vets (precisely to help people who couldn't afford treatment otherwise). They will ask you a few papers to prove you indeed don't have the money.