January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: conflict diamonds on Dark Net for bitcoin
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:12 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Today a friend of mine sent me a link to Dark Net or Deep Web that is only accessible through special browser (TOR) which is anonymous and is not traceable, although it can be viewed in normal internet with special proxy site.
for those who don't have TOR you can view site here: https://africaohupkmxqrd.onion.cab the link for TOR Browser is: http://africaohupkmxqrd.onion

Quote:
Africa Products: Our Mission Products: We sell Diamonds, Gold and Rhino horn found and harvested in Africa. Low Costs: We are able to operate with very low costs because we use cheap/free labor on unregulated land. Reselling Issue: Because we do not follow international labor standards and operate in unregulated areas, we have trouble selling our products because they are viewed as "Unethical". Unethical Issue: Many companies have been found guilty of knowingly profiting from sweat shops, child labor, slavery, unsafe working conditions, unfair wages and violence. The companies include but are not limited to Pfizer, Walmart, Nestle, Coca-Cola, Nike, Adidas, H&M, Levi Strauss, C&A, Walt Disney and Otto-Verstand. Your turn to Profit: The potencial profit margins you can make are very reasonable but typically only enjoyed by Governments and Corporations. Its your turn to make the profits that the corporations typically make.

interesting thing is explaining their logic for big corporation being guilty and how they justified their diamonds and resolved Unethical Issue (although there are some level of truth in corporations and how they do dirty jobs but it does not make it just and excuse for others to do dirty businesses)

as it says in that website the payment is done by Bitcoin which can also be untraceable, the cryptocurrency payment systems like bitcoin are future of world finance, although its anonymity can lead to other problems but this is a price for evolving future economy. freedom and democracy also have its own ups and downs

anyways despite bans on conflict diamonds. many Rough or polished diamonds have been and are exporting out of those certain areas (like rebel-held areas) to neighboring countries or international trading centers through the world. this is an old news and game in our business, regardless of many consumers belief the Lab reports like GIA does not indicate if the diamond is conflict free or not! its only matter of trust and how reliable your source is. even some companies in Diamond Bourses or Rapnet, Idex, etc... has been traded blood diamonds in past and many got caught and banned. even Kimberley Process Certification Scheme itself proofed that it is not effective, like Marange Diamond Fields which the report from the Scheme's monitor categorized them as conflict-free but Rapaport Baned Zimbabwe's Marange Diamonds!

The cat and mouse game currently being played out and it won't be over, i just got both angry and disappointed again about how world is. as a diamond dealer we can never be sure how "kosher" our diamonds are. i am not only talking about blood diamonds but also stolen goods too, its like you get a bill and there is no way for you to be sure if the money is stolen or some one got Murdered for it, all we can do is deal with trusted source and people and hope for best. sorry for my long article it was one of those days that i felt writing.

Post subject: Re: conflict diamonds on Dark Net for bitcoin
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

The whole concept of the Dark Web is something I am not familiar with.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:05 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
The whole concept of the Dark Web is something I am not familiar with.

Please refer to these for more info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_web
&
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_web

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

Well, interesting.
I would bet that conflict diamonds are not the only thing to be concerned about here....but this IS a gemological board.