Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Burma
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:35 am 
Valued Contributor

Good Morning, everybody :D

I hope it's ok to post the following here, if not please move this post/ thread to its appropriate spot? Thank you!

Recently, the crisis in Burma has evidently gotten to the point where even mainstream media is covering the story, albeit briefly. Specifically, the Rohingya Muslims, who have resided in Burma for centuries, have not been recognized by the Burmese government as a native ethnic group. As such, the Rohingya are stripped of any rights and privileges afforded Burmese citizens, such as being allowed jobs, and eye witnesses have reported that unspeakable violence and death have been inflicted on the men, women, and children of this group, by the Burmese government and the Rakhine for the purpose of ethnic cleansing/ genocide. Many Rohingya are fleeing for their lives to nearby Bangledesh, where they receive a similar reception.

Is there any way the gemology field can help? Perhaps teaching them colored stone grading, mining, and cutting ( especially the stones no one here would want to cut, anyway, like mele) It seems to me that once a people have jobs and businesses, they will become more respected.

I've read/ heard the Rakhine and Burmese government side to the story, and all I can say is that *they* are the ones who are snatching from the Rohingya mother's arms and tossing their babies and children into bonfires, not the other way (around as reported in numerous credible sources worldwide).

Not exactly sure what incentive or leverage can be applied for cooperation from the Burmese government,...all I know is that powerful people are more inclined to listen when they can make some money or more money. Perhaps Burmese rubies and other colored stones native to the area is the place to look for answers to that one. Edit: not implying sanctions, but perhaps some form of positive reinforcement. Obviously, the Burmese won't allow the majority of the Rohimbya jobs, so a benevolent intercession by international businesses are what's needed,....given that many national governments seem to want to turn the other way and allow the genocide to continue. Maybe business training for the women Rohingya, particularly mother's, because they'd probably be too busy protecting their children to have the time or incentive to seek revenge.
Thanks for reading, and I apologize in advance if this post is somehow inappropriate, or in the wrong spot.

Simonetta

Post subject: Re: Burma
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:14 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Sorry, but this has nothing to do with colored stones and there are other places where you can discuss it.

I am fed up with this - I am active in a Whisky forum as well and we stopped it course only aggressive answers ( about the so called "refugees" here in Germany)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:57 am 
Valued Contributor

Marlow wrote:
Sorry, but this has nothing to do with colored stones and there are other places where you can discuss it.

I am fed up with this - I am active in a Whisky forum as well and we stopped it course only aggressive answers ( about the so called "refugees" here in Germany)

Facts:
1).Burma is the home of the most beautiful, prized rubies in the world. Rubies are colored stones, therefore the relevancy to the topic.
2).GIA and others here are always looking for stone graders, and others come here seeking native cutters. Some here are gem historians seeking knowledge about gem lore and history of various gem producing lands. Some here are interesting in sourcing ethical gem material. Therefore the relevancy of the topic.
3). The Rohingya live in Burma, have lived there for hundreds of years, and need jobs. Nothing to do with Germany, refugees in Germany, or any one person here unless they are people who can conduct gem business with Burma. With all due respect, I'm sorry you're fed up with Germany, but the subject I introduced is relevant to the forums topic, but your response is completely irrelevant and illogical, as there is no bearing on the topic about German gems or whisky or even Germans fed up with refugees. But, now that you do bring it up, maybe German cutting houses could help in some way. After all, they don't have to let in streams of undocumented people,...they could hand pick individuals that might know a thing or two after having lived in Burma their entire lives. Or maybe they need miners, guides, oral historians, etc.

This is not about politics, Marlowe. It is about showing the good people of this forum that they may achieve and share an economic/ business advantage in helping a disinfranchised people who reside in north west Burma on the boundary of Bangladesh. In fact, businesses that subtly intervene on behalf of any persecuted group, but show tact and neutrality may very well prevent another sanction against the Burmese ruby trade, who knows?

Here is a GIA article about the rubies of northern Burma:

https://www.gia.edu/ruby-mines-burma-reading-list

https://www.gia.edu/gia-faq-block-burmese-jade-act

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:23 pm 
Valued Contributor

Tygurrr-I wrote:
Facts:
1).Burma is the home of the most beautiful, prized rubies in the world. Rubies are colored stones, therefore the relevancy to the topic.

Some of the best rubies. I've seen rubies from other locales giving the Burmese ones a serious run for their money ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:00 am 
Valued Contributor

Dioptase wrote:
Tygurrr-I wrote:
Facts:

Some of the best rubies. I've seen rubies from other locales giving the Burmese ones a serious run for their money ;)

Oh, cmon! No teasing! Where are you finding these rubies? Any pics? Hopefully, you will next tell me that you're finding them here in the US? [-o<

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:24 am 
Valued Contributor

Attachment:
IMG_9093+.JPG
IMG_9093+.JPG [ 49.27 KiB | Viewed 2278 times ]
Attachment:
DSCN8106 -rsz.JPG
DSCN8106 -rsz.JPG [ 55.47 KiB | Viewed 2278 times ]
This is fun-since a new ruby find in Mazambique @2005 or so, the material is cleaner in larger stones, low iron content, glows as the best Burmese & as same color intense as the old standby. Will post examples- :shock: 8) these stones are same in both pictures, new stone added, rubies are same.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:03 am 
Valued Contributor

Tygurrr-I wrote:
Oh, cmon! No teasing! Where are you finding these rubies? Any pics? Hopefully, you will next tell me that you're finding them here in the US?

From several places like Tanzania, Vietnam, Madagascar... Some of the most absolute knockouts I had the pleasure to see were from Winza, Tanzania. They are a favorite of mine, a different flavor than the Burmese.
No photos of them unfortunately, but pictures don't do top rubies justice anyway. You can't capture the true color and glow on camera.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

I've decided to move this thread to another category.
We all have empathy for those affected by social and political injustice.
These conditions are tragically pervasive internationally.

I'm not sure that the solution is lapidary intervention.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:31 pm 
Platinum Member

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
I've decided to move this thread to another category.
We all have empathy for those affected by social and political injustice.
These conditions are tragically pervasive internationally.

I'm not sure that the solution is lapidary intervention.

Thanks Barbra. I left this forum for a long time largely because of what I perceived of as its lurch into politics vs. gemology. There are plenty of outlets for political commentary and when I have something to say about politics I use them. I think others should too.

www.artcutgems.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:54 pm 
Gold Member

I Agree. Thanks, Barbra!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:28 pm 
Platinum Member

I love GemologyOnline.com

Last edited by Jason Barrett on Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:36 pm 

It isn't news that he's the same guy. He didn't slip in under the radar or anything.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

Steve aka Ruby 302 buys the bulk of his stones from a private, as I understand it.
It is also my opinion that he has quite a good collection of gems. Some extraordinary and some commercial.

The person doing the appraisals has a number of technical issues, in my opinion. The specific market for valuation is never defined and in the past, I had a list of appraisal faux pas that I sent to Steve.
I trust the appraiser is not the seller.

The style of the pieces is completely diagnostic. We know they were made by the same hands.
Steve loves the understated simplicity. Although, not my preference, it is his.

So many folks, both in and out of the trade are easily impressed with buzz words like Burma, Paraiba, etc. and attribute inflated values which, IMO, are unjustified.

I have shared my opinions with Steve. I think he was, perhaps, initially victimized by bogus claims.

Fool me once.....shame on you.
Fool me twice....... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:21 pm 
Gold Member

My sense is that he has them set for insurance purposes only. There is certainly no consideration of aesthetics involved.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:50 am 
Gold Member

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
Steve loves the understated simplicity.

Now, this is an understatement !