January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: GT Pro still under development?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:42 pm 
Established Member

Hello,

GT Pro looks like an excellent program.

The last update was version 8.4.0 on 12/1/2008, and looking through the history there has never been a full twelve months without an upgrade.

Is the program still in active development? If so can the developer give us a peek what is under development right now?

Thank you for more information! :)

Last edited by Fig on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:44 pm 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

hi fig, and welcome to the family! i think may have forgotten to give the name of the software which you are asking if it is still in development? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:28 pm 
Established Member

Oh, yes certainly - this was meant to e a reply and not a new thread ... :o

Sometimes I do that when I work really late at night like now (I am in Europe).

The program I am inquiring about is GT Pro and I edited my post and its title.

Thank you for pointing that out :)

And thank you for your welcome. I have been almost absent from gems for about a decade now. This seems like a nice and friendly forum. I am being a bit more active again now, since I was invited to give two weeks of lectures on gemology in Holland.

I was planning to scan all of my old GIA slides for this course, but now I see that GT pro has a lot of pictures included and maybe that means I won't have to do it (sigh of relief).

Fig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:17 am 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

hi fig, we are very glad to have you with us!! i don't have the GTPro software, but GTBill is a forum member, and you could pm him and ask if there have been any updates since Dec. 1, 2008. i looked on his website and noticed the same date for the last updates. many of the forum members use the software, too.

glad to know that you are "reuniting" with gems, and best wishes with your gemmo lectures in holland in 2 weeks!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:42 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi Fig and welcome to this forum!
I use GT tools pro alot, I really like it! For me, as a newbie, it is very helpful.
As Ginger said - Bill is a member here under the name GTP Bill, just PM him and wait (he is quite busy and not SO often in here) for the answer. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:06 am 
Established Member

*Fig wiping some sleep out of his eyes after a very long night and late breakfast (no fresh bread because he is snowed in ...)

Thank you for your warm welcome to this board.:D

Winstone made a very interesting remark about his research and GT Pro here.

Do I understand correctly that this is some kind of hack to turn a digital cam into a spectroscope and make it work with GT Pro?

Is there still some hope that this will get incorporated into the next GT Pro version?

Could winstone be so very kind and (I PMed GTP Bill and winstone about this thread) explain his very interesting ideas in more detail?

Thanks.:)

Fig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:39 am 
Site Admin

Morning and welcome to the forum.

GT Pro is an excellent tool as it currently stands.

I use it daily as do all the staff gemologists at Lang Antiques.
It includes endless pictures of gem varieties, inclusions, spectra, separations and all the data necessary for identification with standard gemological tools.
It also includes software for mounted weight estimations.

GT Pro is a very inexpensive product considering the amount of information it contains.

Just buy a copy and check it our yourself.
http://gemologytools.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:06 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hello Fig and everyone else. The hermit emerges.

Thank you, Barbra, for you comments on GT Pro (also known as Gemology Tools Professional).

We are actively working on GT Pro but it is more of an "under the hood" type of thing. Time is a serious issue for me. There seems to be less and less of it everyday.

I hope people don't think if you don't have updates all the time that the program isn't worth buying. I worked hard on it for 15 years. Then some health issues hit both my wife and me and she told me it was time to give it a rest. I did and she was right.

I have a few ideas for the program. What I would really like to hear are your ideas. What would you most like to see in the program?

We just announced lifetime downloads for your version (starting with version 8.4). In other words if you own version 8.4 and your computer crashes you can email me and I will send you instructions on how to get a free download replacement.

http://www.gemologytools.com (if you use a Windows machine)
http://www.gemologytoolsonline.com (if you use a Mac or iPad)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:57 pm 
Established Member

Hi Bill,

thank you for your contribution in this thread and by means of your wonderful software program and thank you Barbra for your insightful comments.:)

I watched the videos on your site and it seems very impressive.

Why I am asking these questions is because I have learned to spend my money on software only when I believe that the future for a program is bright and I am absolutely certain I will be able to use it (software junkie syndrome overcome - at least for paid versions :lol:).

Too often I have bought excellent software but then was disappointed when a few years down the road it ceased to function when the OS got updated.

Actually I started learning about computers when I decided in the mid 80s that all the software for bookkeeping and inventory management for a gem dealer did not have the features I wanted. So I started to write my own system, which can handle different currencies, memos, inventory, gem paper labels, statements, interest and A/R, as well as generate all kinds of accounting and sales reports.

When I went to a customer with my laptop and started printing invoices from my portable printer there was a drove of people who wanted to watch this innovation because it was pretty much the first time they have seen such a portable system in action.

This software still serves my needs today after some subtle upgrades and crossovers to windows for printing the reports.

So you can see that I have a very sustainable philosophy when it comes to software and prefer to ask questions first before I leap.

Re. new features I am very much interested if I understood correctly winstone's suggestions mentioned above to incorporate spectroscopic readings derived from modified digital camera pictures to facilitate gemstone identification and if you will plan or have already (the post was from 2007) included this in your fine software.

I very much hope you will soon get back to a state of perfect health. This is certainly much more important than tinkering with your software.

I send you my best wishes and thoughts for a speedy healing for you and your wife.

Fig

Last edited by Fig on Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:31 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi Fig,

Good that you are so careful with your money. I've wasted more than a few dollars on software that didn't work right for any number of reasons.

GT Pro still works even with Windows 7.

I never got the time or the right camera to look into Winstone's spectral project. His latest project is using a scanner. Sounds interesting but, as before, time is an issue currently. Hopefully a lot of people will look into it.

Thanks for your concerns about our health. We are doing pretty well these days. 2009 wasn't so great but we've both turned a positive corner in 2010.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:41 pm 
Valued Contributor

Fig!
You don´t have to FIG anything out of this software! :wink:
It´s worth every penny! It´s cheap and it does VERY much of what could think of, in the gemology way!
As I said - I´m a newbie and I love this programme! Helps me every day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:46 pm 
Valued Contributor

GTP Bill wrote:
Thanks for your concerns about our health. We are doing pretty well these days. 2009 wasn't so great but we've both turned a positive corner in 2010.

So now we are looking forward to a BIG upgrade???
Just kiddin! I`m so found of your software!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:57 am 
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I bought this soft few year ago and have to say that I am enjoying it everyday. There is some improvment to do like the inclusions database and stones description.
I would love to be able to edit the database myself for instance.

Best regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:33 am 
Site Admin

hey Olivier,

Olivier wrote:
Hello,
I would love to be able to edit the database myself for instance.

this could be a GREAT idea! :D
i'm not a software geek so i really dunno if it could be easily viable but it will be very cool if every GTpro user could update the picture database by adding pictures!!! :D :D :D
Dr. Bill?

ciao
alberto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:50 am 
Valued Contributor

Thanks All,

We are working on an update that may allow users to edit the database. It's a VERY tall order but it may happen.

Alberto, you CAN add your own photos for both gems and inclusions. Go to:

http://gtprohelp.com/html/gemstone_photo_gallery.html

for information. It can be a little confusing at first but really it's very simple (once you get the hang of it). The most important thing to remember is to check that a photo doesn't have the same name you want to give it. That would overwrite the original.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes.