January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Gemcal... anyone know them?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:36 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

http://www.gemcal.com/index.htm

They seem to have some decent prices on a few stones. Anyone know anything about them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:27 pm 
Gold Member

I never done buisness with them, but I used to visit their site often. The last year or so they just don't have the amount of stones on display that they used to, especially spinels.

They've been around for several years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:16 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hi Gem-noob,
I have purchased from Gemcal a couple of times and will likely do so again. I have purchased some lots, pairs and single stones. Hemi Englisher is the person who I have corresponded with. I found Gemcal through their association with the Orchid/Ganoksin jewelry making forum. The stones are very reasonably priced and I have been pleased with most all of them. Had one with a feather that its placement concerned me for durability and I just could not use it. Shame cause it was a pretty strawberry color. This was from one of the lots. Had a couple stones that were more darkly saturated than I had hoped (dark greenish blue). But most all of the color shifts from what I saw on my computer to what arrived in a package was for the better. I have a couple of lots here right now that I think you can still see pictured on the site as sold. One with some rasberry colored spinels with a couple chrysoberyls and a lot of orange colored spinels. The stones are very brightly colored. Good polish, cutting has decent symmetry, proportions. Overall, I have been pleased. The stones have fit my budget and have given me some good colors/sizes to add to my designs. Hemi is very nice and helpful. Quick FedEx shipping which you can track. (Customs security people really rifled through my last package when it came through Alaska but all stones made it through inspection intact) That has been my experience so far. Buying online and from such a distance has its risks of course and I cannot make any guarantees that others will have the same experience. I can only relate my own. I am a sucker for those spinels! Hope this is helpful. -Carrie

PS: I plan on showing pics of my new jewelry creations that incorporate some Gemcal stones when I complete them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:12 pm 
Gold Member

From experience I can tell you that when FedEx needs someone to help get your stones released from customs, there is a fee that is passed on to you. I had a problem with an order from Thaigem some years ago, and the extra FedEx bill for pushing the order thru customs added $35 to my costs. :(

Quantum Mechanics...the dreams stuff is made of. :smt047

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:32 am 
Gemology Online Übergod

I always use the standard "cheap" slow postage (Registered Airmail) whenever I buy from the Thai dealers, and I've never had any problems with added cost for customs or anything. One of my packages was opened by homeland security, but everything seemed to be in order when I got it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:13 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Luckily I have never had any extra costs or customs fees associated with my orders from Thailand. Just some thorough inspections of the packages. My orders have be smooth so far.

Hemi is just now getting back from the Hong Kong show. So hopefully they will get some new stones added to the Gemcal site soon.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend! -Carrie

Post subject: Gemcal
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:03 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi!

I just thought I'd put in another positive comment for Hemi and Gemcal. I have bought quite a few spinels from Hemi over the years and have always been pleased with the stones and the service. Hemi has always been very helpful and really gone the extra mile. As well, from my viewpoint, there are only a handful of Thai-based dealers that I trust for collection quality spinels from Burma, and Gemcal is one. Hemi regularly visits Burma, and so has direct sources. I also seem to remember that Vincent gave Hemi and Co. a thumbs-up on another forum, so that is also a significant plus.

Cheers!
Greg

Post subject: gemcal
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:08 am 
DELETED