Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:33 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

Quote:
I'm interested to know how this turned out for you. I've been told by others that the expense of lab testing is too much in proportion to the value of the quartz.

This is probably true Peter and upon thinking about it I'll probably do as Barbra suggests and just sell it without worrying about it. I just had no idea that there was so much synthetic quartz on the market. That really really stinks.

That said, anybody wanna buy some Citrine? hehehe :D:D:D

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:53 pm 
Platinum Member

Quote:
anybody wanna buy some Citrine

Anytime you can garantue they are twinned synthetics I'm game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:52 am 
Valued Contributor

I have read, do not remember the source but I know I have it in printing somewhere in my home - cant find it at the moment though, that for example salting of parcels of natural quartz with synthetics occured already in the 1980's... and since amethyst do not cost that much to get, noone (almost) bother to confirm the true identiy of the gem material and surely that most jewellers have sold synthetic quartz without knowing it.

Of course some cutters do want to know and sell the genuine amethyst (natural) and send the gem material to labs - I think it was somewhere in Asia - the cost was about 1 dollar per stone if I remember correct. Not that expensive (okey you have to count in the cost for this). And you cant rely on just looking on the colour since synthetic amethyst comes in many different "colours"...

I remember that a company that sold much amethyst just send some of thousands of stones for determination of origin... too much work. But, if you are a cutter and are faceting larger gems with outstanding quality it might be indeed vise to determin if its natural or synthetic. It would help you when selling it to others...

So is the stone clean, no inclusions, no other evidence of treatment you cant state that it is natural amethyst. I think it is in the hand of the customer if he/she wants a natural or synthetic amethyst (after all they are the same hehehe, but at the same time not). But I will for sure inform the customers if i know it is natural or that it could be synthetic.

I believe some thousands of kilos (who really knows...?) of synthetic quartzes is already on the market - probably sold and told as being natural...

Just some thoughts. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:00 am 
Established Member

My friend told me that just dip into water, if you can see the colour zone line then consider natural.
Now a day the laser cutiing is good enough to make the citrine vary beautiful and can't see the color zone line inside the stone if you not dip the stone inside the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:21 pm 
Valued Contributor

Well, it isnt that easy (although it could be under some circumstances).
What if there is no colour zoning? And no inclusions...

With normal basic gemmological equipment you are truly lost... :)
It is a fact.