July 21-28—ARDEN, NORTH CAROLINA: 16th Annual Western North Carolina Rockhound Roundup; Mountain Area Gem and Mineral Association; Camp Stephens, daily 8:30-5
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Lead in gold
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:49 am 
Offline
Valued Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:31 am
Posts: 228
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I wanted to know if any of you ever heard about lead mixed with gold i didnt search all topics correct me if im wrong because from my source some, but not all jeweler put some with the alloy to add density to the finished product(sometime enough (i dont know the %, but quite enough)).

_________________
http://JMKjewellers.ca


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lead in gold
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:23 am 
Offline
Active Member

Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:49 pm
Posts: 84
Location: Canada
This is a new one on me. If a manufacturer is trying to pass off gold plated as karat gold then I could see using a dense metal as the base metal to give the piece weight. If a manufacturer wants to under karat gold then copper or extra silver content would be used not lead in the gold alloy. But then I can't answer for all those who spend time trying to figure out a scam rather than focus on making quality jewellery pieces.
Doug Frey


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lead in gold
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:52 am 
Offline
Valued Contributor

Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:44 pm
Posts: 207
Location: Dallas, Texas
Another PRC import trick. yes, these CLOWNS are casing hollow rings, filled with lead for weight, and selling same to tourists. PRC ethics do not exist, buyer beware, Communists to the core. Like toys for our children, children lead jewelry, cadmium painted glassware, or pet food, their ethics are not to be trusted. Sadly, we see a lot of this garbage. too good to be true, often is too good to be true.


Following 16 CFR 23 is no joke. Truth in advertising is the Law in USA. Placing lead shot inside a ring or hollow cast gold piece is fraud. Most of these assemblages are constructs of epoxy, lead shot, to give weight to a ring to trick buyers into believing that the item is solid gold as marked. This is fraud. Also, jewelers, shops, and dealers who buy these items without due-diligence can be the subject of expensive litigation.
No this is not capitalism, it is deceit, fraud, and an unfair trade practice. I hope the reply was intended at humor, but it is not funny when thousands of these garbage items are being sold to unsuspecting consumers in tourist locations. Confidence in our standards, ethics, truth in advertising, fair dealing, builds trust, thus in my book, good jewelry is placed at risk when we allow deceitful garbage to enter our well regulated lawful marketplace.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lead in gold
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:18 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:22 pm
Posts: 19716
Location: San Francisco
winstone wrote:
Communists to the core.

cough cough...sounds profoundly capitalistic to me. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lead in gold
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:50 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:53 pm
Posts: 2048
Location: Sweden
Hear-hear :)

_________________
_____________
Conny Forsberg


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lead in gold
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:09 am 
winstone wrote:
Another PRC import trick. yes, these CLOWNS are casing hollow rings, filled with lead for weight, and selling same to tourists. PRC ethics do not exist, buyer beware, Communists to the core. Like toys for our children, children lead jewelry, cadmium painted glassware, or pet food, their ethics are not to be trusted. Sadly, we see a lot of this garbage. too good to be true, often is too good to be true.w


Down boy! Down!! [-X The 'wrap a little gold around a lot of lead' scam has been around for over 40 years to my personal knowledge. Probably, it has been around for for 400 years - or even more. SD determination is the 'sudden' death for most of these scams and that story is about 2,200 years old.

As Barbra has pointed out, the scam's root are most definitely capitalistic and those 'poor Commie b**t*r*s' are just (re)learning a smarter set of tricks than Uncles Karl, Vladimir, Josef and Mao ever allowed them to know about. In the good old days of 'International Workers' Solidarity' those caught practicing such 'filthy, decadent Capitalistic practices' were put up against a wall and shot as social pariahs carrying a highly infectious plague. In London and New York, we allow them to call themselves 'investment bankers', breed promiscuously, pay each other obscene 'bonuses' out of our money and get rich on destroying the savings of small businesses, widows and children.........

Scams.... don't talk to me about scams... Where were 'junk bonds' invented and sold by the trillion dollar as the very latest Good Thing?

Closes door quietly having popped the grenade and rolled it across the floor. Walks away down corridor, hands in pockets, humming a catchy tune and heading for the bar across the street from where to sit and watch the fun.......:smt073


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lead shot epoxy in hollow karat gold casting is Fraud
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:23 am 
winstone wrote:
No this is not capitalism, it is deceit, fraud, and an unfair trade practice. I hope the reply was intended at humor, but it is not funny when thousands of these garbage items are being sold to unsuspecting consumers in tourist locations. Confidence in our standards, ethics, truth in advertising, fair dealing, builds trust, thus in my book, good jewelry is placed at risk when we allow deceitful garbage to enter our well regulated lawful marketplace.


Already responded to suficiently, I think. Your essential point, that fraudulent selling is a criminal offence (in any national jurisdiction I know of), may be a truism but is fair enough. It is equally fair to add that a proportion or rogues and vagabonds escape justice the whole world over.


Last edited by Kerensky on Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lead shot epoxy in hollow karat gold casting is Fraud
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:44 am 
Offline
Established Member

Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:06 am
Posts: 35
done by low lifes who want to fool pawn shops or people into giving them more money for their jewelry here in my country. was a victim of this before. hope it never happens again. [-X

_________________
nandoon na ako
sa daan patungong pagbabago


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lead in gold
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:34 am 
Offline
Gold Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:35 pm
Posts: 1173
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Kerensky wrote:
winstone wrote:
Another PRC import trick. yes, these CLOWNS are casing hollow rings, filled with lead for weight, and selling same to tourists. PRC ethics do not exist, buyer beware, Communists to the core. Like toys for our children, children lead jewelry, cadmium painted glassware, or pet food, their ethics are not to be trusted. Sadly, we see a lot of this garbage. too good to be true, often is too good to be true.w


Down boy! Down!! [-X The 'wrap a little gold around a lot of lead' scam has been around for over 40 years to my personal knowledge. Probably, it has been around for for 400 years - or even more. SD determination is the 'sudden' death for most of these scams and that story is about 2,200 years old.

As Barbra has pointed out, the scam's root are most definitely capitalistic and those 'poor Commie b**t*r*s' are just (re)learning a smarter set of tricks than Uncles Karl, Vladimir, Josef and Mao ever allowed them to know about. In the good old days of 'International Workers' Solidarity' those caught practicing such 'filthy, decadent Capitalistic practices' were put up against a wall and shot as social pariahs carrying a highly infectious plague. In London and New York, we allow them to call themselves 'investment bankers', breed promiscuously, pay each other obscene 'bonuses' out of our money and get rich on destroying the savings of small businesses, widows and children.........

Scams.... don't talk to me about scams... Where were 'junk bonds' invented and sold by the trillion dollar as the very latest Good Thing?

Closes door quietly having popped the grenade and rolled it across the floor. Walks away down corridor, hands in pockets, humming a catchy tune and heading for the bar across the street from where to sit and watch the fun.......:smt073


Amen. The "gold around lead" was certainly around in Ancient Rome.

I'd be glad to see a little less ranting. The tendency to cheat strangers is common to all cultures. If the US rolls back safety regulations and gut the departments that are designed to keep business honest (whether on toys, building materials or financial products) it leaves you guys wide open to abuse.

"A man with a briefcase can steal more money than any man with a gun." Don Henley

_________________
Lisa Elser, G.G.
http://www.lisaelser.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lead in gold
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:31 am 
Offline
Valued Contributor

Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:44 pm
Posts: 207
Location: Dallas, Texas
It Touched a nerve. I apologise, but Fraud like this makes me angry. Many years of makin FTC rules apply to all parts of USA jewelry industry, has been a life work. I am 68, and still we find new challenges. w


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lead in gold
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:42 pm 
Offline
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:41 pm
Posts: 5511
Location: Massachusetts, USA
The real gold adultery problem is not being done with lead, whose solubility is gold is not that high, unless it is done mechanically as described in the "Hollow ware" jewellry, but with tungsten, which has a nearly identical SG.
Bullion ingots in this condition have already been found; When sawing the ingot the saw suddenly STOPS when it hits the tungsten core.
A more insidious practice was done in the '80's with tungsten powder, which was dispersed in the gold (Same SG, remember.)
Since Au and Tungsten both disolve in similar acid mictures, wet assays would not always detect it. It was found by Atomic Absorbtion Spectroscopy in certain "Investment currencies".
The Gold Price mania has attracted the usual suspects. For one thing, if you buy paper that says you have gold...You own paper. As in derivatized mortgages.
Bite it, weigh it, heft it, and cut it, or stay away from it. This thing has a while to run before it totally blows up. Governments could fall when it does.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lead in gold
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:34 am 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran

Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:10 am
Posts: 583
Gearloose wrote:
The real gold adultery problem is not being done with lead, whose solubility is gold is not that high, unless it is done mechanically as described in the "Hollow ware" jewellry, but with tungsten, which has a nearly identical SG.
Bullion ingots in this condition have already been found; When sawing the ingot the saw suddenly STOPS when it hits the tungsten core.
A more insidious practice was done in the '80's with tungsten powder, which was dispersed in the gold (Same SG, remember.)
Since Au and Tungsten both disolve in similar acid mictures, wet assays would not always detect it. It was found by Atomic Absorbtion Spectroscopy in certain "Investment currencies".
The Gold Price mania has attracted the usual suspects. For one thing, if you buy paper that says you have gold...You own paper. As in derivatized mortgages.
Bite it, weigh it, heft it, and cut it, or stay away from it. This thing has a while to run before it totally blows up. Governments could fall when it does.

If that happens then the value of lead may go way up!specially the fast stuff.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lead in gold
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:11 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:53 pm
Posts: 2048
Location: Sweden
The price for Pb has already skyrocketed. Bullet prices has doubled in a couple of years and when one as I normally does, use 20K+ .44 and .45 cal rounds per annum, that sucks :)

_________________
_____________
Conny Forsberg


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lead in gold
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:25 am 
Offline
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:41 pm
Posts: 5511
Location: Massachusetts, USA
You're (Ahem) Investing wrong, Connie.

A thousand finished "items" of investment grade base metals.
In an afternoon.

Image
I prepare "Base Metal investment bullion" in .32ACP,380,9P,.38Spl,.357,.45ACP, and 40S&W denominations. Sometimes a niece helps.
Great money-saving fun for the Family.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lead in gold
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:31 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:53 pm
Posts: 2048
Location: Sweden
8) :D

_________________
_____________
Conny Forsberg


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Gemology Style ported to phpBB3 by Christian Bullock