Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The diamond formula
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:57 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

i'm considering to purchase The diamond formula and wondering if someone already has it and could give a feedback.
ciao
alberto

ps: i've found it on fleabay for 30 euro..... :wink:

Post subject: Re: The diamond formula
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:43 am 
Gold Member

C :D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:17 pm 
Gold Member

I don't have that book but did look through the preview on Amazon and it looks like a neat book to read. The last section in the previews has a small article about some research at Pennsylvania State University where they had created diamond and "diamond like" materials from a polymeric precursor which they basically roasted in an oven. I guess that video from a year or two ago, of the guys making diamonds in their back yard using a microwave and peanut butter wasn't so far off. Maybe they already read the book? I'd like to have that book, but it'd probably lead me off on a wild goose chase trying to make diamonds in my garage. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:11 pm 
Gold Member

Yup... If it's Amazon in Europe (or sending from EU). Otherwise expect to pay 6.50eur+1.00eur+4% (is it still 4% on books? Anyway, it's on the total, shipping included of course) VAT from Customs. In my (and a few friends') experience they stop EVERY package labeled as "book" from Amazon US. 4% VAT would be very fine with me, but it's the supplementary tax (and the ~1 month the Customs takes to let you know they have your book) that drives me mad. :evil:
I once had to pay more of taxes than the amount I paid for the (used) book.

So, be careful when buying books from amazon US and you live in Italy. You have to consider the above issues and a cheap book may quickly become relatively expensive. On more expensive books, or when you buy in groups, the Custom duties may become tolerable (often you still have to wait a lot of time for the clearance, though).

(written by someone who would buy tons of books, as I did when I was in US, if it weren't for those stupid issues...)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:16 am 
Established Member

Hi to everybody!
I bought and of course read this book some four or five years ago, it's very interesting! Yes, I advice all of gemmologists to read it!
Greetings from Italy :smt002 by Riccardo.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:32 pm 

Yes, I've read the first half of it and have access to it.

Great history on the history of diamond synthesis attempts, and evolution of the equipment parameters required to get closer to it.

I loved reading and learning about Percy Bridgeman.
This stuff is classic.

Percy did not give up. He spent his entire life devoted. I will leave out some surprises.

Also, the theororized

SC4 or BC8.

This has changed my thoughts of the universe entirely.

Put simply: Don't plan on sleeping for about a week, and try to not develop a full on psychosis.

I have a purpose on earth. I know this purpose. But imagining such materials, has expanded my mind vastly.

Now, I didn't get into many details. As I wont be synthesizing any diamonds or diamond films in the future.

Kinda like the "ultra-nano-crystalline crystal book available from a local college."

That book had a cool cover! It kinda made me think about a lot of stuff regarding the universe, and the fractal like nature of it, but.........
Kinda outta my league! Actually kinda scary, scary outta my league. In fact that book just downright scared me, but it had a good cover!

So, to put it simply.

The Diamond Formula, Any gemologist, gem dealer, jeweler, faceter would enjoy for any purpose from entertainment to learning about diamond, its synthesis, the history, and the possible future of gem synthesis.

Other advanced books like ultra nanocrsytalline diamond are kinda strictly scientist books, but of course could have use to the average gemologist.

But for the money, it would be far on the priorities list to Photoatlas of inclusions, etc...etc....