January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Blue Zircon...help a newbie out!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:21 pm 
Established Member

Hi Guys and Gals! I am a newbie here...but I've been reading the site a lot, especially the beginners section. I've been collecting gemstones for about six months now, most of my stuff has come from Ebay. I know firsthand that there are good sellers and bad sellers, and only once have I gotten burned (that I know of!). Anywho..

My favorite gem is Blue Zircon. I love the brilliance, the greenish blue color, everything. I had mostly aquired smaller ones, under 3cts, but I decided to treat myself to a big one. It just came in the mail, at over 6cts. My question has to do with color. The picture showed a brilliant greenish blue, a little bit darker than the smaller stones I currently have. But when opened the package I was greeted by a much darker stone. Now, I am aware that often zircon gets its color from its mass (eg..the deep cuts of most of the zircons), but this stone just seems not very greenish and again, dark. It almost looks to me like a cobalt spinel. I haven't run any tests but I wanted to show my pictures and ask if any zircon fans can look and see if they have seen zircons in this color, to at least help me get over my fears that I have a fake. I know you can't tell me for sure what a stone is by a picture, but I thought I would take a chance.

Ok...the pictures are all saying that they are too big to attach here. Ugh. So if there is anyone who is willing to email me, I can send the pictures to you. Thanks to anyone who will help...Chris

Post subject: Re: Blue Zircon...help a newbie out!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi and welcome.

Read this thread and you will be able to display larger pictures:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3679

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:23 pm 
Established Member

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now those photos are indoors in normal light. The one that is furthest away is under a pretty bright desk lamp. Im just worried that I got a dud..because as I said, most of the other zircon I have or have seen is very bright greenish blue. If anyone can give me any suggestions, I'd love to learn about blue zircons and the one that I have. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:33 pm 
Platinum Member

Can't speak for your stone, as it's not been tested, nor have I seen it in person. The color looks good, though I don't know how much light you put on the stone. I've seen ten carat stones less saturated, less dark, more green.

I have a 7 plus carat Blue Zircon that could pass for a London Blue Topaz, but much prettier. Purer blues stones, generally command a premium, as do darker stones, if not to dark, which you normaly don't see in Blue Zircon. They are much rarer & more sought after, though pure
medium/medium light sky blue stones are expensive & rare too. :)

https://www.instagram.com/elvizprasiolite/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:31 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Although your stone is darker, it brings to mind zircon I saw some years ago that was called Cambodian blue zircon :-k .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:29 am 
Site Admin

Which I think is because most blue Zircons used to come from Cambodia. I have never heard it as a color designation before.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Agreed. I have seen every tone and saturation of blue in what is purported to be Cambodian zircon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:06 pm 

It may look that dark because of the cut. There doesn't seem to be that much light coming back out of top of the stone in those pix.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:59 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Here's the color I was speaking about:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Cambodian blue is still no color designation, it is just a reference regarding origin.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:13 pm 
Established Member

Ok...yes, it is from Cambodia supposedly..as all the "best" blue zircons are...again, according to this Ebay seller. I also do know that the stone is heated, but I thought all blue zircons were heated?

Anyways, I showed the pictures to some other gem hobbyists and I have found out that whoever suggested the cut was poor..you are the winner! The cut is so poor and that is why thestone is so dark. It may indeed be a good quality stone in its makeup, but cut this way it is useless in my collection. I have a $20 London Blue that looks better than this dark stone. So I have arranged to return the stone so that I can buy one that I like. It did cost me $150ish which is a lot for me but not a lot for a 6 ct+ blue zircon. I guess what they say is true..if it looks too good to be true it probably is!! haha

This brings me to my next question...excuse a newbie if this is against website policy..but...are there gem collectors on here that sell their pieces? Ebay or otherwise? That way I would have more trust in what I'm buying etc. Now I saw a Classified section on here but hardly any offerings at least recently. So I'd like to know of a good and reputable seller who would help someone like me. Im not interested in spending like $500 for a stone, but I am tired of the junk so there must be a nice happy medium. If anyone wants to contact me my email is removed by Admin I'll keep reading this site and try to learn as much as I can in the meantime. Thanks! Also, I will post a pic of my nicest 4.3ct blue zircon, next to this dud, next to my london blue so you can all see what I mean!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:57 pm 

For info: if the stone is "bellied" (too much weight at the back of the stone) but was a good deal and has a nice colour, sometimes it's worthwhile getting it recut. There are a bunch of faceters here who might chime in on that for you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:51 pm 
Established Member

africanuck wrote:
For info: if the stone is "bellied" (too much weight at the back of the stone) but was a good deal and has a nice colour, sometimes it's worthwhile getting it recut. There are a bunch of faceters here who might chime in on that for you.

That is an interesting option that I didn't consider. I would be all over that depending on cost..because of the inconvenience of sending it...the cost of shipping it back to Thailand..I'd love to put that money back into the stone. I guess it would depend on cost and how much of the stone would be lost. Example..if it costs $100 to cut and I'd lose 50% of the weight, then it would be silly. But if its more like $50 for the cut and losing, say, 25% then I would jump on that. I am a newbie, I am trying to learn, but I have absolutely no clue what this would cost, monetarily and stone weight. Then again, I would spend more than that on a cut if I knew one of you masters would make the stone unbelievable ;-) I hope that others do chime in!! Before the stone goes back in a few days!!
I saw that admin deleted my email so I am hoping this site has private messaging, otheriwse I'd need to figure out how to get people to get a hold of me, haha.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:40 pm 
Gold Member

Private messaging is available after you hit the minimum number of posts [I believe it is 10]. Also, members can see your contact info in your profile if you supplied it.

http://www.rogerdery.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:33 am 
Site Admin

May I remind everyone that this is NOT a consumer's platform?

Our desire is to be as non-commercial as possible. Our classified section is a courtesy for members. It is not intended to be a serious venue for commerce.

So please, keep your questions gemologically relevant and leave consumer topics for other forums.
Thanks.