January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: My new(well old) electron microprobe
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:53 pm 
Platinum Member

I will be acquiring an electron micrprobe at the end of the month. It's a ARL EMX-SM one and was used by NASA huntsville to test the first moonrocks. The vacuum works perfectly, it still generates an electron beam. The only thing it's missing is the gas proportional detectors. A friend at a University down south has one that would work in it but from my understanding through him it takes 6 of them. He said they were easy to install and fairly easy to replace the window on and also the filament wire. My partner Jim, and I will more than likely have to purchase some and were recommended to do to Don Lesher at Mircobeam. We will be getting guidance and help from the original owner in this process.
We pick it up on thr 30th of this month or soon after.
Are the gas proportional detectors failry cheap?
Does anyone have any extra for this type of probe?
What am I getting myself into...LOL?
Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: My new(well old) electron microprobe
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:16 pm 
Platinum Member

Contact L. Bruce Jones at gemscientist.com

http://gemscientist.com/Gemscientist/El ... probe.html

He has a microprobe that he got, also surplus. He can probably give you some good advice on what you are getting into. These instruments need constant maintenance. They can give a great deal of useful info too. But plug and play they ain't.

I have never worked with a probe only instrument but have worked with numerous SEMs equipped with XRF. If I can help I will be glad to.

The first thing that occurs to me it that it might be more economical to upgrade to different types of detectors. I have maintained one gas proportional detector for the last three years where I currently work and it has not been a very pleasant experience.
There have been a great number of advances in microprobes. I don't think new ones come with gpd s anymore.

Feel free to send me a PM or email me.

Good Luck!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:04 pm 
Platinum Member

Thanks G4! My partner knows Bruce I think and has been friends with him for a while. I will see how much help Bruce can give. This one has been converted to 220 which is a good thing I would hateed to have upgraded the service. I will do some more research and use some of the tips you provided. My partner will be looking at it onm the 30th then we will go from there.
Everyone says it's not a "plug and play" like you mentioned. Hopefully I am not getting in over my head...LOL...oh well I guess thats the best way to learn :shock:
Thanks for the help G4 and I will PM you with questions which I am sure I will have especoally once it's in possession
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:50 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I came to this small place in the universe to say that with the help of G4lab, I am going where no Bruce has gone before. I bought a second hand xenon headlight for my spectrometer and plan to headlight many colorful tourmaline with it. I think it is still legal outside of hunting season in this state. Now I see a fellow space traveler is head out on a new adventure.

I saw Al of the University of New Orleans perform the act in question, but we did not get good coppers that day. I wonder about getting good standards for calibration. Give me an email when you get some numbers for the take off and maybe I could help for a piece of the pie.

Your Martian friend Bruce