January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: gemsofeastafrica.com
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:11 pm 

Has anyone had any experience with this vendor?

Post subject: Re: gemsofeastafrica.com
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:23 pm 
Valued Contributor

Plenty, Ali has been very reliable for me. This is one of my sources i am always watching as he is close to the source and some of the cut material he sells is finished to a very high standard of cutting.NO i did not say all, i said some. This happens because he trades with miners who cut and various vendors aswell. Ali's pricing is also pretty good. If you have concerns over clarity of goods then dont buy anything less than vvs rough or cut.(one mans vvs is another mans vs ,some really well known rough sellers dont even do that ,its a, aa, or aaa) I dont do anything under eye clean anyway but you should be vigilant with any rough or cut stones bought from any mailing op site. I have bought parcels of Ruby rough and then had Ali do the cutting on 50% of the material just to check it out,wasnt really disappointed. I probably wouldnt do this a second time round just to keep a choker on quality control and security. So far ruby, tanz(heated and unheated) tsav, sapphire this would sum the material i have aquired with no problems.My post has always come FED EX from ALI. Ali does not give refunds so dont buy unless you like it and no returns either. The biggest tanzanites i have seen for the best prices i have seen come from ALI also.I got an email this morning with some monsters in ink blue over 20 ct gems perfect except for native cuts at $350 p/ct, offers are are also accepted which has proven a big bonus for myself. When good bits do turn up they dont last long as with Brian and Hilmar. I have seen some variation in the past with the quality of pics so be on top of that,be judicious with every mail order vendor no matter who they are or how good or well known they are. It is your money, YOU are responsible for its use. Anything else you want to know, drop it in this thread or pm me if you want to keep it quiet or want a second opinion on something your are considering.Oh i have been buying from ALI for about 8 years maybe a bit longer.
30 ct cushion and 20 ct oval

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:03 pm 
Valued Contributor

I've only made one purchase and was very pleased. I picked up about a pound of Rhodolite. Nice color on it. In fact I sent out several pieces of it to some members of this forum. Most of them posted finished pictures. If your on his email list he will periodically send out "facet rough to clear" lists. Some good buys on there. I would/will buy from them again.

Justin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:28 am 

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:46 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

lightspeed wrote:
Ali has been very reliable for me. This is one of my sources i am always watching as he is close to the source and some of the cut material he sells is finished to a very high standard of cutting.....Oh i have been buying from ALI for about 8 years maybe a bit longer.
What has been your most reliable method of sending money to Ali? The website suggests payment by Western Union, but I am cautious as Western Union is often used as a method of payment by scammers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:56 am 
Valued Contributor

That really depends on what you are used to using or the method which you have the most confidence in. Ali offers paypal and western union i have used the former sucessfully, you also get the option using this service on using your cards institution exchange rate or exchange rate offered by paypal, which is normally worse (you can check the exchange rate on a currency conversion site first). Adding to that if you have any problems you can see your banking institution about stopping a transfer or reversing it if you have problems. I have had to do this in past experiences but not with ALI. Failing that i have also used a direct deposit wire transfer direct from my bank for international transactions too(NOT WESTERN UNION) ,you could ask Ali if this is possible. First research what method is going to cover you the best if things go sideways.
Before you buy anything check with CUSTOMS in your country to see what will attract duty and certain taxes so you dont get any surprises, i have heard that rough going into the U.S. now attracts duty, this may depend on the monetary total of your order.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:55 am 
Gold Member

from lightspeed...
Quote:
Before you buy anything check with CUSTOMS in your country to see what will attract duty and certain taxes so you dont get any surprises, i have heard that rough going into the U.S. now attracts duty, this may depend on the monetary total of your order.
Hi all,
Regulations are currently available (and shown in this link http://hts.usitc.gov/) for goods coming into the US. Other countries may have differing requirements.

Currently, to import into the US, rough gems (other than diamond) can be imported duty free. There are currently restrictions for Ruby and Jadeite as you must be able to prove they are not from Myanmar (Burma) due to the Tom Lantos Act.

And, if the cost of the goods you are importing is less than US$2,000, you can 'self-import' and act as your own broker. But, if your goods are over US$2,000, you are required to contract with a Customshouse Brokerage firm. Typically, their minimum charge may be about $150 for their time and expertise. And I have paid as much as $400 as well. Can find various brokers positioned around international airports and other ports of entry. See Yellow Pages, online searches, etc.

Hope you find this helpful.

http://www.rogerdery.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:53 pm 
Valued Contributor

Thankyou for your clarification Roger. This info was supplied from Hilmar from their web page and applies to rough sawn or i assume preformed.

Duties on rough gemstones - please take note that the U.S. Customs have imposed a new tariff on rough sawn or roughly ground gemstones!!! These stones are now classified under the Harmonized Number 7103.10.40 and attracts a duty of 10.5%.
But, this only seems to be the case when parcels are sent by courier - we have not had any duties imposed on parcels sent by Registered post. It is interesting to note that cut, faceted stones attract NO duty!

Not sure whats up with this regulation so it would be best if you familiiarize yourself with U.S. regs in Rogers link. Its the opposite for me in Australia ,no duty on rough in any form but only on cut gems,so it does vary from country to country. Any parcel over $1000 aud attracts gst and must be handled through a broker.