January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Choosing a fiberoptic illuminator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:04 pm 
Gold Member

I regret that the cable can't be separated from the rings, that would be more practical, allowing one to use it either as a darkfield, or as pinpoint light source depending on the needs.

I'm gonna ask if the first two cables from the same seller are obedient, these should fit fine the lightsource I just bought, right? (do all cables from fostec fit any fostec light source or do I have to care about the cable diameter?)

About assembly: I guess I just have to plug the cable in the light source and tighten a screw to keep in in place, right? (no need of an adapter in between)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:19 pm 
Platinum Member

Quote:
I regret that the cable can't be separated from the rings, that would be more practical, allowing one to use it either as a darkfield, or as pinpoint light source depending on the needs.

In order to do that they would have to make a coupler to plug in the cable too. This would be expensive and complex. Just cheaper to have two different guides. Coupling fibers to fibers is not always easy.

Quote:
I'm gonna ask if the first two cables from the same seller are obedient, these should fit fine the lightsource I just bought, right? (do all cables from fostec fit any fostec light source or do I have to care about the cable diameter?)

They should fit if they say FOSTEC on them. FOSTEC was later bought up and essentially closed and shipped to china by Schott. (Thank you :evil: ) But the Schott cables that don't fit FOSTEC say only Schott. If it says FOSTEC and doesn't fit it will be the first time I ever ran across it. Wouldn't hurt to ask the seller to double check it though. Why not. The one labeled 850mm is definitely a limpie.
Usually the grey jacket is limp and the black jacket is stiff. But asking is a very good idea. The 850 is pictured coiled up. You can't really do that with a stiff one.

Quote:
About assembly: I guess I just have to plug the cable in the light source and tighten a screw to keep in in place, right? (no need of an adapter in between)

You just plug it in, tighten the thumbscrew/grub screw and you will be ready to go.
Don't forget to get spare lamps. ebay of course. The DCR can use EKE DDL or EJA lamps. They vary by color temp and lifetime. Higher color temp equals better light and shorter lifetime (like 50 hours which really is not much) I find it handy to have both on hand.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:38 pm 
Gold Member

ddl? is that a reference for a 150W halogen bulb? 20V right?

I guess I can find such bulbs in any hardware store where I live, nop?

what color temp would you suggest ? (most seem to be 3150K)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:58 pm 
Platinum Member

It would have to be a very good hardware store indeed. But these lamps are available all over ebay.
They have varying color temps and hours. The DDL is 20 volts but when you run it on 21 volts it gets into the 3300 K neighborhood.
These lamps can be run up to 3400 for brief periods as during photographic exposures. But that is like ten hour life ville and you go higher the life comes down to minutes (though I used to do that all the time. But you want to have spares. The power supply on this illuminator won't go that high)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:39 pm 
Gold Member

well, now I just have to go and break my piggybank (with my Estwing gemologist hammer, of course). That was very helpful talk, but I suspect you enjoyed it the most, you tool junkie :mrgreen:

Last edited by cascaillou on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:08 am 
Platinum Member

Guilty as charged your honor. Also unrepentant and unremorseful :twisted: :lol:

I have an Estwing 10 lb. engineers hammer. Very good for taking down sections of walls without ruining the adjacent area. And I am pretty sure there is a geologists hammer floating around my house somewhere, though I haven't seen it in a few years. My son bought himself a really cool Estwing camp axe. Forged from one piece, and a very long handle with the forging going all the way through, to the end of the rubber coated handle.

And of course in this wonderful tech age we are living in there are boutique toolmakers making carpenter's hammers out of solid titanium. Fortunately serious woodworking is not one of my vices. Not to say I don't have ton's of wood working tools that I have collected along the way. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:00 am 
Gold Member

Quote:
Fortunately serious woodworking is not one of my vices. Not to say I don't have ton's of wood working tools that I have collected along the way.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:45 am 
Gold Member

hey G4Lab, I didn't notice this link you pointed to me:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOSTEC-FIBER-OP ... 649b0#shId

as I understand it is obedient (looks like it in the pics), and would fit the light source I bought just fine, right?

I searched ebay for cheap fostec gooseneck obedient doubles, but couldn't find any, but I guess that one might suit me fine.

I wonder, why does it have such a big adapter at the tip? (I mean, most light guides don't have that, what is it for and does it make any difference)?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:45 pm 
Platinum Member

The disk with "Fostec" engraved on it is the part that plugs into the light source. Its a nice solid chuck of aluminum that you can tighten the thumbscrew onto. The other end has a fitting onto which you can put little lenses , hoods filter holders etc.
This unit is priced nicely. It has a stout inside bundle diameter which means it will transmit a lot of light since it is not dividing it by two.

I think it would be a safe purchase.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:48 pm 
Gold Member

I just realized that it's not shipping to France :cry:
Will try to change his mind through hypnosis.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:21 pm 
Platinum Member

Am I imagining things or did he just take it off sale price and raise it from $60 to $100.

If that is the case I would tell him to put it somewhere where there ain't no light :twisted:

If he wants to sell to to you for $60 I will do the transaction for you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:51 pm 
Gold Member

You're nice :)
His answer about INTL shipping is indeed negative.

Last edited by cascaillou on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:07 pm 
Platinum Member

Weird
Now it shows $60 again. But when I posted the previous it was showing 99.99
Probably some kind of html glitch. Or maybe a limited time price that expired and he has replaced it.
Send me a PM if you want me to get it for you.
G

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:10 pm 
Gold Member

Clever guy, he doesn't ask 60$ but 59.999999999. If there was a 'make an offer' option I would: 19Pi $ :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:34 pm 
Established Member

This is a great thread.
I have a hand held spectroscope and have been toying with the idea of either getting a desktop/gem lab spectroscope or just a fiber optic light.
I vote for the light.
Thanks everyone.