January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Blue Zircon...help a newbie out!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:46 am 
Site Admin

sidenote: i removed your email address for your own safety........don't forget this is one of the most important OPEN forum about gemology on the web..... :wink: :wink:
ciao and welcome to the forum
alberto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:34 pm 
Established Member

Thanks...I decided it wasn't worth the trouble and I returned it for a refund. I appreciate everyones offerings of help. It was a shame because I got a nice sized stone for such a reasonable price but since I can't cut anything myself..why bother. I ended up treating myself to a beautiful, well cut and bright blue zircon at over 6 cts that is on its way. Of course it was double the price, but Its from a reputable US seller who was knowlegable,kind, and explained everything to me about the stone. Ill post some pictures in this forum when I have the stone! Then (hopefully) you experts will tell me that I did ok ;-)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:49 am 
Gold Member

Chrisa222 wrote:
Thanks...I decided it wasn't worth the trouble and I returned it for a refund. I appreciate everyones offerings of help. It was a shame because I got a nice sized stone for such a reasonable price but since I can't cut anything myself..why bother. I ended up treating myself to a beautiful, well cut and bright blue zircon at over 6 cts that is on its way. Of course it was double the price, but Its from a reputable US seller who was knowlegable,kind, and explained everything to me about the stone. I'll post some pictures in this forum when I have the stone! Then (hopefully) you experts will tell me that I did ok ;-)
So, do we still get to see the stone?

http://www.rogerdery.com

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

I fear another consumer come and gone Roger :D

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:57 pm 
Gold Member

Frank wrote:
Yes, oh well.

Frank, after being around here just a couple of years, it is clear to me that there is NO other place on the internet with this depth AND width of information that is valuable to us 'gem people'. I know there are other forums or FB sites that 'talk' gemology, but none compare to what is available here. I tip my hat to Barbra and you all who make this happen.

http://www.rogerdery.com

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:47 pm 
Established Member

Hey guys, no...I'm still "here". I do love the "new" Zircon...its still in the gem collection waiting until I decide what I want to do with it...other than admire it from time to time. I'd really like to figure out a way to display some of my gems that I know I won't set into a jewelry piece, but deserve better than sitting in a gem jar in a tray with other gems....only being seen when I want to have a look.

The only picture I have access to right now is the seller's hand picture. The stone is a nice, bright neon greenish blue that I love.

Its funny, I was thinking about this stone today (its been a while since my OP) and if I wanted to make it a ring. Since the OP, I've gotten 'into' having my stones recut. I've seen a huge difference between these step-cut stones and what the great cutters out there can do. I love the gem, and was toying with having it precision-cut and seeing what that would do for it...I usually work with Dan Stair, and I know he has a cut he uses on zircons to bring out their dispersion. Since Im not fond of step cut stones, I may send it to him to see what he thinks. I will go home and take some of my own pics of the gem for you guys if you care to see a closer look than the sellers pic. thanks!

OOPs, the picture is 800x600 and I cant attach pics over 500x500. If I can figure out how to address this, I will try again.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

It is preferable if you do not upload a pic to the site, but use an outside server like ImageShack to host your shot.
Then the size doesn't matter.
See:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3679

for instructions.
:D

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Roger :) In truth it's no great hardship to moderate you guys You Rock

Chrisa 222 Sorry if you felt I was being insulting. Glad to see you're still with :)

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:37 pm 
Platinum Member

ROGER DERY wrote:
Frank wrote:
Yes, oh well.

Frank, after being around here just a couple of years, it is clear to me that there is NO other place on the internet with this depth AND width of information that is valuable to us 'gem people'. I know there are other forums or FB sites that 'talk' gemology, but none compare to what is available here. I tip my hat to Barbra and you all who make this happen.

Ha Ha Ha..where do you think I get all my valuable information and material at!!!! Some people charge an exorbitant amount for the type of info that can be gleamed from these pages.....
This place is sweet....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:14 pm 

A good account of zircon mining in Rattanakiri Province Cambodia here: http://sites.google.com/site/gemwanderings/ratanakiri