January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Bathroom Jade Treatment
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:31 pm 
Gold Member

In October 2011, I bought a lavender jade bracelet from Jason. Bear Williams identified it as Type A – untreated. It was a personal purchase and I bought the smallest size that would fit on my hand. I put it on – with a bit of help from some hand cream – and have not taken it off since them.

Each day the bracelet is exposed to:

City water – chlorine and whatever else they add.

Handmade Olive oil soap with no dye, perfume or additives.

Cold-pressed organic coconut oil.

Queen Helene Cocoa Butter Body Lotion – water, mineral oil, stearic acid, glycerol stearate, sodium lauryl sulfate, propylene glycol, cocoa seed butter, stearyl alcohol, disodium EDTA, lanolin, merthylparaben, benzyl benzoate, coumarin, fragrance, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Red 40, Red 33.

Alba Botanica very emollient sunscreen – Active Ingredients: Homosalate – 10.0 %, Octocrylene -10.0 %, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate -7.5 %, Ethylhexyl Salicylate -5.0 %, Titanium Dioxide -2.0 % Other Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin , Cetyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (1), Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract (1), Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (1), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (1), Echinacea Purpurea Extract (1), Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract (1), Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Cetearyl Olivate , Polysorbate 60, Silica, Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Sorbitan Olivate, Tocopheryl Acetate , Xanthan Gum, Alcohol (1), Benzyl Alcohol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Citronellol, Coumarin, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Fragrance (Parfum) (1) Certified Organic Ingredient

As you can see from the before and after pictures, the bracelet has gone from pale lavender to pale green.

Attachments:
Jade bangle After.jpg
Jade bangle After.jpg [ 27.78 KiB | Viewed 5449 times ]
Jade Bangle Before.jpg
Jade Bangle Before.jpg [ 13.85 KiB | Viewed 5449 times ]

Post subject: Re: Bathroom Jade Treatment
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:25 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Just imagine what that stuff is doing to your body 8) .

*Excepting the olive oil soap and the coconut oil :smt023 .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:49 pm 
Gold Member

Well, I am a bit greener than many people - I just hadn't thought in terms of hue.... 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:49 pm 

Interesting... what do we know about nuking jadeite?

There was some talk of it back in 1973 (page 214):

[pdfview]http://www.gia.edu/research-resources/gems-gemology/back-issue-archive/fall-1973.pdf[/pdfview]

but nothing after that as far as I know...

Anybody got something on that?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:46 am 
Site Admin

have you dropped a line to Bear? guess he could be helpful about that.
just a thought.
ciao
alberto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:53 am 
Gold Member

Good idea, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:05 am 
Site Admin

I was discussing this at work yesterday around the lunch table.
Remember the old wife's tale about jade (jadeite) getting greener as you wear it? (Never believed it until now)

Julie (co-worker) was telling me there are some folks in Asia who make a living as a "greener". Apparently they have super greening powers when they wear jade......

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:09 am 
Gold Member

Well, before we had digital watches, I magnetized watches. Maybe it's related...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:17 am 
Valued Contributor

How cool is this. I agree with Barbra about the color of jades being enhanced by just wearing them. IOW, natural oils from the skin will act as (inadvertant) improving agents. This type of natural human enhancement 'symbiosis' that occurs over time with jade is evidently a fairly stable improvement.

But this is a complete hue change, which is fascinating.

The suggestion then is that there appears to have occured a chemical change that caused this. Both lavender and green jades colors are derived from ferric iron. The association of color has been said to be the interaction of ions, and just how the Fe is stacked in their octahedral coordination will determine the color. So one would have only to speculate on the process it would take to unbind ions and realign them.

I imagine instead, that we are reading about products with various dyes (albeit lighter in color) that are applied periodically, then we are seeing a culmination of this affecting the color. Nonetheless, I love the piece, it's beautiful.

Cheers, Bear

ps- This is one of the reasons why we have to state on our reports that SGL is 'not responsible for the condition of the gemstone, after the time of testing'.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:32 am 
Valued Contributor

Almost unbelievable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:51 am 

Quote:
So one would have only to speculate on the process it would take to unbind ions and realign them.

Like nuking 'm?

Unbinding ions by just wearing 'm? Hmmmmmmmm... Sunlight maybe... the color changed throughout, something one wouldn't expect when the change was due to chemical changes applied to the exterior. Unbinding electrons (or rather, letting them fall back to where they were comfy after they got mighty excited by the right (really short) wavelength) sounds a wee bit more plausible, no? :?

Mary, how gradual did the color change? What was the 'in between stages?'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:00 pm 
Gold Member

Tim,

I think you could say it was pretty evenly gradual. I probably started noticing the change in hue about 3 months ago - so that would have been about 5 months of wearing.

I didn't take any other pictures but I will monitor it from now on - and I will change my body lotion to one without dyes and see if that makes a difference.

If iron is the coloring agent, and I magnetize metal watches, could my system reorganize the molecules? I know that's way our there - but if there's an actual "industry" of wearers that can impact greens, maybe the two are related... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:28 pm 
Valued Contributor

Quote:
Unbinding ions by just wearing 'm? Hmmmmmmmm...

Tim, oddly enough, I have that old G&G from when my brother took the course. Those were the days of, when you were a student, the G&G automatically came to you from GIA. From those notes, Crowningshield said they were going to experiment with a gamma source, but had not at that time, so the mechanism was still not understood.

Anyway, did not mean to infer that the Empress was poking her hand inside electron accelerators or gamma source and changing the ionic structure. :shock: Which is why I noted that the cumulative effect of lotions with dyes was the most likely culprit. My error as I was not clear on that.

BUT, I find the "magnetization" of watches quite interesting and worthy of further experimentation. Mary, what instrument is used that does this? Is it the type used on the Accutron watches? Could you please place the magnetizing device on only one section of your jade to see if there is a noticeable color reaction?

As mentioned, the color of either the purple or green is mostly the iron, but in rich lavender jades, we have seen higher levels of manganese on XRF. As you know both Fe and Mn are strongly paramagnetic and they might have some type of reaction to it.

It may just possibly be, that anything is possible. And from what I understand, we don't understand yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:29 pm 
Gold Member

The watches stop after I wear them for about a week. I am also that person that walks by a radio (using an antenna, no cable) that changes the station just by walking by.

I have never been tested or used any instruments to measure any of this - it just happens.

I am wearing the jade bangle on the same (left) wrist that I wear a watch...if that helps.

I know the watch thing is some form of electromagnetism. Could magnetizing the iron molecules cause them to realign to change or deepen color? Has anyone ever tested that sort of thing?

But then there is this from Mason Kay's webpage:

Quote:
Will the color of jade change with time?
In the Orient, jade is considered a living thing that is young, then matures and grows green with age. It was said that some people had the ability to make jade turn green more quickly, and that this was a virtue of their mind and body and soul. Alas, interesting myths notwithstanding, this simply will not happen!

Many people even today believe that in times of good health, one's jade grows richer in color, while trauma or illness will drain the color (and absorb the travail). The wearing of jade close to the body was said to ensure health. Interesting though these thoughts may be, there is no evidence that jade will change color. Quite the contrary, jade is impervious to oils, perfumes and most cold acids. Its color is constant, for better or worse.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:52 am 

Quote:
Anyway, did not mean to infer that the Empress was poking her hand inside electron accelerators or gamma source and changing the ionic structure.

Nanah... not Empress nuking 'm. Someone else nuking them in the past, empress just observing a gradual 'fall-back'.