January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Updated and overhauled the faceting design page.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:42 am 

Hey guys, I've had a few e-mails and Facebook messages from people confused as hell on how to submit stuff to the faceting design page. I feel like this might be stopping some people from posting designs of theirs to the site. So, I went ahead and reorganized the page, included a bunch more diagrams, etc. I made it as easy to follow and as step-by-step as possible.

Can someone who owns Photoshop please take some pictures of the steps needed in 3B? I don't have Photoshop so I have no idea what that's talking about.

Oh, and I'm taking a break from writing my own designs so I can get off my lazy ass and test-cut some of them. Just FYI.

Post subject: Re: Updated and overhauled the faceting design page.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:23 am 
Valued Contributor

Hey Arya,

I have photoshop and know how to use it quite well. When we meet tomorrow, could you explain exactly what you need done?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:07 pm 
Valued Contributor

Again, thanks for your help Arya!
Think I got it now.

Willie

P.S. If the photoshop thing is about converting the Pdf into a jpg file it is easier to do with PDFCreator.
It allows you to save both jpg and pdf files, among other.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:47 pm 

Eu_citzen wrote:
P.S. If the photoshop thing is about converting the Pdf into a jpg file it is easier to do with PDFCreator.

Hmm...which PDF program are you using, Nitro PDF Creator? I didn't realize you can use it to save .jpg files. How did you do that?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:35 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hey Arya,

I looked at 3b section. Do you still need the Photoshop info?

Also, do you know if the site can take SVG files (scalable vector graphic)? They are similar to PDF in that they are vector based graphics but they is an open standard (i.e. not an Adobe product).

Vinita

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:41 am 
Valued Contributor

Arya Akhavan wrote:
Eu_citzen wrote:

Hmm...which PDF program are you using, Nitro PDF Creator? I didn't realize you can use it to save .jpg files. How did you do that?

Hey Arya, see if the link below works:

http://download.pdfforge.org/download/pdfcreator

After clicking 'print' it will allow you to choose name of the document, date of creation and bla bla bla.

When clicking 'save' a small window should open, to select where to save it. Just under where you write the file's name you also have a selection of file type.
Select the one you want.

I think it also works just by choosing i.e. filename.jpg as a name. After the "." the jpg text refers to the file type.

Hope this makes sense?

Willie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:17 am 
Gold Member

I don't see any mention of saving as JPEG on the website for PDFcreator. Has anyone actually tried it?

BTW, the file extension is just part of the name. JPEG formatted files are normally given a .jpg extension, but giving another type a name with a .jpg extension doesn't turn it into JPEG format.

Asking Google to search for 'convert pdf to jpg' gets over 25 million hits, at least some of them relevant :-)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:44 pm 
Valued Contributor

AlBalmer wrote:
I don't see any mention of saving as JPEG on the website for PDFcreator. Has anyone actually tried it?

BTW, the file extension is just part of the name. JPEG formatted files are normally given a .jpg extension, but giving another type a name with a .jpg extension doesn't turn it into JPEG format.

Asking Google to search for 'convert pdf to jpg' gets over 25 million hits, at least some of them relevant :-)

Didn't look for a mention of it, I've used PDFcreator for a while and noticed the function. It works for me.

Check out the design page, the jpg files of the diagrams where made that way on my designs. (Willie Klaja)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:08 pm 

Arya - with those test cut pics on the design page you don't have add a 'link=' and brackets to the subscript.

Your current code:

<center>[[File:STILL WAITING.jpg|center|thumb|link=File:Epoch (test cut).jpg|[[Test Cut - Click to Enlarge]]]]</center>

Better code:

<center>[[File:STILL WAITING.jpg|center|thumb|Test Cut - Click to Enlarge]]</center>

You avoid having a dead link behind that text that way and the link= is redundant; clicking on an image file automatically brings you to the file's original page. I created examples. Check out the tutorial section and your 'Epoch'.

One other remark: the tutorial section at the very top of the design page confuses the foek out of me and I wiki for a living... I suggest you loose the table layout there and just plug your tutorial section above the designs. If you want to provide new designers with a table template (I guess that's what you intend to achieve with the current layout) add the table's code into the tutorial page and add <nowiki> tags so people can easily copy it.

I really enjoy seeing you guys having your way with that section! Go hard! =D>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:23 pm 

Tim! Thanks for the info/advice - it's always really welcome, since I have no idea what the eff I'm doing most of the time :mrgreen:

The point of having those dead links was to have a separate page where people could post pictures of those designs if they cut them. You know how some of Marco's designs have several test-cut pics? I wanted those on a separate page, rather than in the discussion section, and I wanted that accessible by clicking on the test cut image.

How would I code that? I'm still not sure if what I did will give me the result I want.

...and I completely forgot what I was trying to do with the tutorial section. I had some vague idea but it's left my brain. You can take it out if you want. I did include a copy of the table layout code in the tutorial, AFAIK.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:22 pm 

Ok - I got the test-cut pages up and running. Now I just need more people to test-cut stuff. I've got 6 stones on the dop right now, so there should be some test cuts finished before Christmas.