January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Help with DataVue2 installation/use?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:58 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi All!

I have found several posts and references to this DataVue2 program.
Does it work with the Gemcad program? Is this DataVue2 a repository for many faceting diagrams that may be "pulled" up with Gemcad?
I attempted to download this Datavue2 from gemcutter.com, tried to follow the instructions, (I have no floppy drive for my computer) so copied the dvue2 program zip file to a disc, "ran D:setup" and it installed the dvue2 program sort of. Yes I received the "After setup is complete, if you experience any errors that mention
"ODBC" or "ODBCINST" " as outlined in the instructions.
So with little if any computer knowledge/education, ( just enough to Really mess up a computer!) I have no clue as to the odbc.ini , dll, etc and was hoping someone would "walk" me through this?
I did grab a "free" 30 day trial of a dbf viewer, and can open a datavue2/Dlist.dbf file which is a Huge list of gem cuts and references but that's as far as it goes, No way to pull up these designs in Gemcad. Is this what I may be able to do if dvue2 is working correctly, or should I forget it and cut a Gemstone instead?

Thank You for any help.

PM me if a response here is Too boring or of no use to anyone but this computer illiterate lapidary!

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:49 pm 
Platinum Member

If it makes you feel any better John, a few years ago I tried to install run the program with no luck either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:22 pm 
Platinum Member

two issues with the program. First off, it needs an odbc driver that is/was only available on older systems. If you have an older computer gathering dust, with nt 4.0 or windows 95, it will run on that.

But that's not the biggest problem. All the designs were pulled out of it. Check your pm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:52 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi Gene,

Thanks for your response! Coming from an Engineer! Feel Much Better!!!! If you could not do it I suspect I had better move on and cut instead of waste more time on this computer!

Hi jleb,

Have windows XP so out of luck I suppose.

Message Understood!
Would have been nice to have access to this wealth of information though!

Perhaps a person out there has a cd disc with the datavue2 files in gemcad format available?

Sincere Thanks!

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:28 pm 
Gold Member

GemCad for Windows will run on about everything including XP, Vista, and in Wine on Linux. GemCad for DOS is less portable and I cannot get it to run on Vista. The driver is included in a larger version of the setup program at the gemcad.com site.

Datavue2 will open in GemCad for Windows in the File, Search Datavue Database menu item. You can select cut type a limit the view or enter a string in one of the other fields to do a search. For example, you can enter "Van Sant" in the designer field and it will then let you click next through all items that list "Van Sant" in that field. The only drawback is that if you open a design, it does not remember the last search. No big deal.

With the Datavue search, you can save any design in GemCad format and modify it. Sweet.

edit - PS Gemcad for DOS will run in XP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:22 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi gsellis,

Thanks for your reply, I have the GemCad, however was attempting to access the once public directory of Facet designs through the offered Datavue2. Upon a bit of investigation, on USFG Discussion group have come to realize that this is an old issue. Having to do with Copyrights and Consent by the represented designers, on the Dvue2.
I see that as usual, I am "Johnny come Too late"!
Lucky for those who saved to disc or other hard copy the files that would work for/with CemCad.

Anyway, Thanks I also came across this http://mgms-tx.com/library/001-099.html#001
Which also lists many of the Gem Designs and where to find them, however a person must do the GemCad themselves on the ones that are published. (I guess many of these were in the Datavue2 Library?)

Regards,

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:24 am 
Established Member

I have Dvue2 running on my xp pc with no problem........ If anyone needs help pm me... I think you need the files which am no longer be available

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:58 pm 
Valued Contributor

shanejackson wrote:
Quote:
I have Dvue2 running on my xp pc with no problem........ If anyone needs help pm me... I think you need the files which am no longer be available

Hi shanejackson,

I got my dvue issues worked out with a little help! :D
Yes it is the .asc files which open in the gemcad program that allow a person to open the Dvue stick drawing/diagram in Gemcad with the full documentation and cutting info/#'s.
These files are no longer available for the "public" because of copyright issues which are discussed in the US Faceters Guild yahoo group by several interested parties. Search the archives and then it will be clear what became of the once "public" information.

Many thanks to ALL of you who informed me of why these .asc files are now out of reach.! :)

Regards,

John

Post subject: Re: Help with DataVue2 installation/use?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:57 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi, I just got Gemcad and was hoping that someone could help me access the datavue 2 designs?
Thanks

Mad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:17 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

"The version of Datavue on the internet is crippled. The ga*.sto files are just dummy placeholders. The only way I know to get a working copy is to find someone with a working copy and copy the ga*.sto files from their computer to yours. I'm sorry that I am not able to help you further with this." This is a quote from Robert Strickland and I am also looking for the ga*.sto files. At present I am new to this site and am not permitted PMs :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:11 am 

:D Thank you Allan and all, my Dvue is working now. :smt002 I just need to learn how to add my own files to Dvue. It would sure make things easier in GemCad. I can search Dvue files in GemCad, but my files are a little harder. I have all the file names starting with the general shape to make it a little easier. The thumbnail and index info of Dvue is a lot better.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:53 pm 

Hi guys!

This is my first post here. I'm just getting started cutting gems. I've been trying to set up DataVue2 without any success, can anyone give me hand with getting it up and running?

This forum is a great resource, thanks to everyone for their contributions!

Ari

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:19 am 

Ari wrote:
Hi guys!

This is my first post here. I'm just getting started cutting gems. I've been trying to set up DataVue2 without any success, can anyone give me hand with getting it up and running?

This forum is a great resource, thanks to everyone for their contributions!

Ari

Heh, did you read the above posts? :mrgreen: (Just ribbin' ya :D )
There were major copyright issues with DataVue, so the entire program and everything involved is no longer supported. Even if you could get it up and running, it would be useless unless you broke copyright and copied some critical files from other people.

Sorry man :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:25 pm 
Gold Member

The violation of copyright is not established. Jeff Graham threatened to enforce it, but the problem is that the material that had been sold to him had been published previously without notice. It is a gray line.

If you have the files, put them in the Gemcad for Windows Designs directory %programfiles%\gemcadwin\designs. That is how to get it working.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:49 pm 

Thanks for your responses! :D

Someone got in touch with me and I have worked it out. It's my understanding as well that it is a gray area of sorts.

Thanks again,
Ari