January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:06 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

No, no... not what they WILL do...

As someone who knows what you know about diamonds... what "should" it cost? I mean, NATURAL diamonds already cost way more than they should...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:00 pm 
Valued Contributor

gem-n00b wrote:
No, no... not what they WILL do...

As someone who knows what you know about diamonds... what "should" it cost? I mean, NATURAL diamonds already cost way more than they should...

What is the price to make, market hold in inventory, sell? What profit percentage would you allow for return on investment? Do you include the learning curve of making synthetic diamonds into the equation?

The answer is whatever someone is willing to pay. You may not want to pay that much but others are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:03 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

Fair enough... what would you (as a consumer) expect as a "discount" for a synthetic diamond? At what point would you consider it a "reasonable" trade-off for the man-made origin?

Note: this question is for everyone. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:04 pm 
Valued Contributor

I was at a seminar a while back and the speaker was one of the major sightholders. His theory was that DeBeers is already far ahead of the game when it comes to synthetics because they have been working on them since the 50's. If the synthetics ever become a viable market he thinks DeBeers will flood the market to creat a two tier perception, natural = valuable, synthetic = cheap. By the way, they will also bankrupt anybody who has made a significiant investment to bring them to market. Nasty, but effective deterrant to competitors. Such an altustic bunch of guys :? .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:08 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

Wow... talk about your evil genius moves! ;) Gotta hand it to them, they know how to maintain a monopoly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:37 pm 
Valued Contributor

gem-n00b wrote:
Fair enough... what would you (as a consumer) expect as a "discount" for a synthetic diamond? At what point would you consider it a "reasonable" trade-off for the man-made origin?

Note: this question is for everyone. :)

Even though I am an Oppenheimer I don't like diamonds so I'm not the one to ask about what I would pay for a synthetic. I would pay $100. My distant cousins have pulled off the greatest scam ever. At least oil has a purpose and is used to build, heat and transport. Ernest and his heirs have created a market for a somewhat common rock and maintained it's value. At least Tanzanite One is attempting to do the same for a stone that isn't as common in both quantity and geographic location. The good part of this is that it's apparent value helped some of my other relatives in WWII bribe border guards to look the other way as they fled Germany for their lives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:02 pm 
Wow! I didn't realize you were related to the Oppenheimers that I read about in my GIA assignments!

No wonder you have such an amazing gem collection and such a great eye for gems - it's in your blood!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:58 pm 
Valued Contributor

Snizzy wrote:
Wow! I didn't realize you were related to the Oppenheimers that I read about in my GIA assignments!

No wonder you have such an amazing gem collection and such a great eye for gems - it's in your blood!

Hi Snizzy,

They don't realize it either <g>. We were the side of the family that went to England and then some went to Burma (then British Colony). My father told me the family history of Earnest, Sir Francis, Harry and now Nicky and Jonathan. They have done a remarkable job of controlling the commodity but things changed over the last decade. As new sources of diamonds come on board that can't be controlled they left the smaller stones to go to market prices but still controlled the larger more important stones. They can't purchase all those stones to make them seem more rare so they stimulated the market by adding anniversey rings and the right handed ring for those not married. Also step up to a bigger engagement ring. The one you couldn't aford to buy her when you were young. This takes supply out of the market by stimilating demand. Very Bright Idea. Branding diamonds is another market nitch to set you stones appart is another good idea that I'm not sure will catch on (like eight star diamonds).

Post subject: synthetics
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:02 am 

I am still confused by one thing that Bryant said and that was that his diamonds were natural. How can they be natural if rhey are created in a lab?

Wildflower

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:10 am 

I don't think he said that they were natural. What he said was something along the lines of "I find it interesting that all created diamonds starts as a seed of natural diamonds". Is that what you are talking about?

Post subject: dIAMONDS
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:14 am 

No, I was sure he claimed they were natural because they started as a natural diamond seed and used the same chemical as a natural diamond...I would have to read the log of the chat to find out if that was what I read but I am pretty sure. Because it confused me a lot.

I didn't understand how they could be natural and be created at the same time.

Wildflower

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:18 am 
Doos will post the log to the chat soon, so we can read it then and see exactly what was said during the chat. Perhaps he can be contacted for futher clarification, if needed.

Post subject: diamonds
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:21 am 

I hope so since I am about to begin my Diamond course and am confused enought as it is LOL. :D

Wildflower

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:35 am 

The chat log would be useful.

I don't recall him claiming that his diamonds were "natural" only that the best start with a seed of natural diamond. Like any other synthetic, the end result is a diamond (or ruby or sapphire etc) because it's chemical composition is the same as the naturally created gemstone . But no lab-created gemstone can be called a "natural".

So while it IS a diamond, pure carbon in gem form, it is NOT a natural diamond.

Post subject: Diamond
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:49 am 

I probably didn't read it right...That is why I am asking. After working all night I probably misread the whole thing. I will read it again when doos posts it and if I am still confused can I ask questions here?

Wildflower

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next