Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Introduction and Thank You
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:28 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Greetings Gem Enthusiasts!

I am a fledgling enthusiast of gemstones myself, and ever since my govt. job over budgeted and thusly cut down my hours, I've found myself with time at home with the kids. This has also given me time to explore my interest in gemology. I am not even a novice by standard (I'm working up to it!) but since I was a kid I've had an interest in stones. Not just gems, but all kinds of minerals. I think my first love was sandstone, which I discovered in a pile in the woods near my home (abandoned by the factory nearby, perhaps.) My interest moved to gems when on a boy scouting expedition I discovered a rock that inside had a purple quartz (I'd like to believe amethyst, but probably not.) I used to collect rocks I found, and living in a wonderful but modest family there wasn't many opportunities to get anything fancier aside from an old garage sale science kit. Over time, life got real and I put my hobby aside as it didn't have room to grow at the time.

After meeting my future wife, while looking at the various options for engagement rings something awoke in me that reminded me of my love of stones. Not just for their beauty, but their rich stories and plethora of varieties. She was encouraging, but due to my poor credit history after a hard knock life I was unable to get a job at any jewelry store, though they commended my enthusiasm and encouraged my study.

Now, I am 31 with two children, a wonderful wife, a home and great credit after a lot of hard work. Now seems like a good time to embrace my enthusiasm for stones once more since I have more resources, funds and time. I bought some loose stones on various estate lots as they are pretty common in this area. However inexperience has probably lead to me buying some probably low quality or synthetic stones. All the same they are still wonderful pieces. Now I'd like to identify them and learn more about them.

Now, while I have a great job that is normally full time, until fall it looks like I'll be cut back quite a bit, so while I have funds to spend I must be prudent. I've been researching equipment to make and to buy, and learning different techniques and hopefully I'll find some of the books at the local library. I'm hoping I can figure out the core components to at least identify the stones accurately and in time learn about their components, treatments, and quality. If you have any advice, do share but I will also do my best to read the forums. I have been reading the links to the left.

I know this sounds strange, but I have a weird anxiety about forums. Like some online Augean stable they seem to never end and get so overwhelming I don't know how people keep up. But I'll do my best to find answers in what already exists rather than asking repetitious questions, unless I think they are good ones.

Thank you everyone who has contributed to this forum, it has been a great help. Allow me a special thank you to Dr. Hanneman who always seems to have the answer and can give it in a way that even someone like myself can understand, and that's the sign of a great teacher. I can't help but notice I'm finding a lot of components named after a Hanneman as well... hmmm... In any case, you have been most kind to take your time to explain things.

Again, these forums are pure chaos to my brain so I'll do my best not to get overwhelmed. I'm glad there is at least a separate beginner's forum. At first I felt like I was a book lover who just found the Library of Congress and didn't know where to start because I wanted to ingest it all. This little section is like that awesome kid's reading section, where I can learn to crawl before I refract.

I know I'm jumping all over, I'm just really looking forward to getting started. Perhaps when I get back on my feet I can look towards some affordable online courses as well (the IGS is probably more in my spectrum of affordability and looks promising!) but for now some basic equipment and knowledge to get some names to these stones is what for I am aiming. I've seen some kits on Ebay that are probably low end equipment, but it looks like they may do the trick. Otherwise, I'll look into individual pieces of hardware and see if I can get them at a reasonable price so my wife doesn't flog me for spending a bunch while my paycheck is cut. Thank you so much for all your hard work and patronage. Oh, and double thanks to G.O. for this place of gathering.

tl;dr I'm new, I really like stones, I'd take any beginners advice, forums are overwhelming, I can't wait to absorb all this material.

Last edited by Riboflavin on Thu May 08, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Introduction and Thank You
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:59 pm 
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the Forums.

Just take your time and read some posts (like you have been doing). It will all start to come together. I am still getting it together but this is a fun place. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:01 pm 
Established Member

Hello! I am new to this forum as well. :D I have found everyone to be very helpful. Dr. Hanneman is top notch I must say. It can be a bit "overwhelming" when everyone else knows so much but you have to start somewhere. Like you I have been fascinated by gemstones since I went to Zales in the mall to buy my first ring in high school which was an Amethyst. My tastes have changed as I have grown older and so did the prices of my choices. I have been collecting for some time and now that I am engaged to a wonderful man who wants me do what I love instead of Auditing( :roll: ), I have decided to give Gemology a try as well. I am still looking into what school to go with since I will have to do so online. I was recommended GIA and they were very informative. I haven't looked at IGS yet but will check into it too. Now I just have to get my equipment together. Well, best of luck with your pursuit!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome B12 and Mahina.
So glad you found us.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:12 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Welcome aboard!! :D

Too cute, Barbra 8) .

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:26 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Thanks, folks!

I am already learning quite a bit while researching equipment. I keep finding "kits" that average 200-300 for a basic refracto-polari-filters, etc. I may go that route until I learn enough about the identification process to warrant better investments. I'll try to get a respectable bino-scope.

Edited by Admin
GIA of course is a staple name and highly respected, so if you are looking for a high grade career it may be a better investment.

In the meantime I look forward to getting to know some of the names on this forum and learning more. Also, I'm from Erie, Pennsylvania which I neglected to mention so if there are any get together/shows/etc in the area, I'd be interesting in knowing more.

Shine on!