January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Quick question on camera lenses..help
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:14 pm 
Platinum Member

A friend gave me a film camera that is on the newer end of 35mm..right before they phased them out for digital. I had 3 lenses come with the camera...all detachable and interchangeable. My question is,
will these lenses work on a digital camera the same way they did on the film? Are they the same hook-n-turn setup on the digital's as they wereon the film camera's?
One is a 70mm-210mm lens, one 50mm, and one a 28mm.
Canon camera .
I know lenses are pricey, so it would sure be nice to have gotten some compatible lenses that will only require me to purchase a new camera to complete the setup.
Anyone with experience got advice or an answer? Thanks a bunch ahead of time

Attachments:
P8160597.JPG
P8160597.JPG [ 108.28 KiB | Viewed 4640 times ]
P8160599.JPG
P8160599.JPG [ 97.84 KiB | Viewed 4640 times ]
P8160603.JPG
P8160603.JPG [ 97.72 KiB | Viewed 4640 times ]

Post subject: Re: Quick question on camera lenses..help
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:46 am 

Hi Jason,

No such luck, mate. The mounts will be different and any auto-functions (if there were any) that those lenses had on their old body will most likely be lost when you hook 'm up to a modern DSLR with the aid of adapter rings...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:23 pm 
Platinum Member

Thanks Tim, I figured as much. It was wishful thinking and I knew it was not possible. I could have googled it myself and waded through the faq's pages, but it's much nicer getting some first hand advice from someone.
If you have the resources, then by all means use them is my way of thinking. :idea:

So now what does one do with the lenses and/or camera?
Ebay? Door prop?
Aren't these lenses, especially the 70mm-210mm big one, like four or five hundred dollars?

I never have had a camera with interchangeable lenses, which is why I was not privy to the technology involved with how they attach and detach. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to respond back, Tim. Keep up the good work and appreciate the help again! :D :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:07 pm 
Valued Contributor

This is probably too late of a reply, but no need to dump the lenses. Just get a FD/FL to "insert name" mount adapter. For example, if you have a canon camera with an EF mount, you get an FD/FL to EF mount adapter. These are about 20 bucks on ebay. You will have to use them fully manual, but its not that difficult for still subjects. I have several similar lenses on my canon 6d. (note: some adapters may have a relay optic, some will not. Whether or not you need the optic probably depends on the camera you intend to mate them to.)

The views expressed here are the author's opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of the his employer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:49 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Yes, a big problem with Canon, they keep changing the mount so lenses go obsolete (or at least obsolescent) quickly (unlike Nikon). All is not lost, however, adapters are available, though manual. A point to consider is that the normal camera lens is corrected to be used with the subject away from the front and the film or sensor close to the rear of the lens. So, if you are going to photograph gems at a close distance you will probably get better results turning the lens round so the rear faces the gem. Again, adapters to do this are widely available, but the lens has to be used on manual (no hardship with a gem).
Alan F.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:15 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

One point to consider is that film is still readily available and gives a better result than digital. The downside is that film is not so readily manipulated than digital. I use it mostly for forensic photography, for production in Court as it cannot be hacked into (by the other side) or manipulated (by my side) as digital can. At the same time a film photo will last 50 or so years, while digital only lasts until the next programme change. Then again, should you wish to use a film photo digitally, a quick whizz through the scanner and you are away. It will take a lot to persuade me away from my film kit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:25 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi Alan, I am curious as to why you think film gives a better result than digital. Certainly not to argue, but just to understand someone else's opposing position on the matter.

The views expressed here are the author's opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of the his employer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:34 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

The vast majority of my gem photography is forensic, for production in court cases, so for archival, security and evidential reasons I stick with film. I also think that the colours reproduce truer and I particularly like the fact that the grain structure is random, rather than the tiny squares marching across the image.
Indeed, my nephew, who is a hotshot makeup artist was showing me some photographs of one of his clients (shot on digital) but a programme had been applied to the image to make it look as though they had been shot on film. A I say, the transmission of film is a pain, so I am going to have to start using both, but hey.