All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Understanding benitoite value
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

Right. Current transactions.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:18 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Although this thread is a few years old, as owner of Capistrano Mining Company, I feel I must respond.
Yes, I am sure at time we all hope to find a steal on Ebay or elsewhere. I saw a stone on Ebay that looked to be Benitoite but there was not verification, so I took a chance as I do at times. When I received it, I found in fact that is was benitoite. Since no one else was willing to take the chance, I won it for much below it's current market price. So I did not turn it right around, but had it recut to enhance it's beauty and then reposted it for sale at the current pricing at the time. Now some may not agree with my pricing and everyone has the right to their opinion, however we are talking about a rare, single source gemstone, so what the market will bear will dictate the pricing. Now some 3 years after this post was first made, the price has risen even higher and I doubt you will find many of the other mentioned, much lower than my pricing these days when I do have good quality stones to offer. But in the last 12 months, I have not been able to list a single stone, as any quality benitoite over .50 cts that is round cut, already has a buyer and I do not wholesale top quality benitoite, there is not need to. I have worked with the mines owners since they purchased the mine back in 2005. Although many would like others to believe there was nothing left at the mine, it actually became too costly for them to continue. But with new methods, and a lot of patience, we have been able to retrieve some good gem rough and specimens. So to any that say I charge to much, I say just look and see what they are getting for Benitoite in Japan and I challenge any one to find a 1 carat, Round Brilliant cut of good color and cut for under $8000 these days.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:25 pm 
Gold Member

I have been sort of following both benitoites and yogo sapphires for a while, and their prices seem to be doing very similar things - stones of a carat and over have been going through the roof. That said, while I do see Yogos for sale on the east coast occasionally, I have only ever found one benitoite for sale -- as it turns out in a flea market. I got a good price, but it was small.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:45 pm 
Platinum Member

I have been talking benitoite with Wayne for over a decade now.
I bought a few specimens from him, as well.
He also has a bunch of rough rainbow lattice, if anyone wants to try their luck at cutting some...hehehe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:20 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

wschrimp wrote:
Although this thread is a few years old, as owner of Capistrano Mining Company, I feel I must respond.
Yes, I am sure at time we all hope to find a steal on Ebay or elsewhere. I saw a stone on Ebay that looked to be Benitoite but there was not verification, so I took a chance as I do at times. When I received it, I found in fact that is was benitoite. Since no one else was willing to take the chance, I won it for much below it's current market price. So I did not turn it right around, but had it recut to enhance it's beauty and then reposted it for sale at the current pricing at the time. Now some may not agree with my pricing and everyone has the right to their opinion, however we are talking about a rare, single source gemstone, so what the market will bear will dictate the pricing. Now some 3 years after this post was first made, the price has risen even higher and I doubt you will find many of the other mentioned, much lower than my pricing these days when I do have good quality stones to offer. But in the last 12 months, I have not been able to list a single stone, as any quality benitoite over .50 cts that is round cut, already has a buyer and I do not wholesale top quality benitoite, there is not need to. I have worked with the mines owners since they purchased the mine back in 2005. Although many would like others to believe there was nothing left at the mine, it actually became too costly for them to continue. But with new methods, and a lot of patience, we have been able to retrieve some good gem rough and specimens. So to any that say I charge to much, I say just look and see what they are getting for Benitoite in Japan and I challenge any one to find a 1 carat, Round Brilliant cut of good color and cut for under $8000 these days.

Same experience a few years ago - purchased a dozen Bennis on Ebay from a Thai company. All Benitoite with good clarity and color but not US cutting quality.

But 99 Dollar for a 0,38 ct - sold them to some vendor with good profit.

Think a 1 ct plus round Benitoite is rare course often you cut an oval or pear with a higher weight. But 8000 Dollar...

Than a stone 0,85-0,95 ct could be a better choice.

The situation is a bit like our german Hauyne - both single source, beautiful and no mining anymore.

No need to sell them cheap today!! The fine qualities...

I noticed in the last years that the offer now more stones with inclusion. The material offered in europe was nearly always EY to IF.