January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: A new little test series: Banded Zinc+/Diamatrix
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:21 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools

OK, most of the Tucson shipping is done, and inventory replenishment is going 7 days a week. There will be a Zinc+ run in 7-14 days. A big one.
What do you all want me to do about the Dia+Z+?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:26 pm 

I guess, I'm not really in the market for a second Dia-Z+, but I can tell you that it was love at first facet. I cannot recommend it highly enough, provided production proceeds. Thanks to testing this lap, I might even end up getting a full 8" Zinc Plus down the road. I am currently awaiting the 3k sintereds with bated platen, as are, assuredly, many others here. Anyway, maybe it would help to add a survey question here or on a new thread - something like, "Would you strongly consider purchasing Gearloose's banded Dia-Z+ lap?"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:48 pm 

I Thought of the survey question. Nope. Asking people their opinions on free samples is one thing, but anything that looks like a marketing survey would, I imagine, be DOA.
Educational forum.
I know, we will always have discussions about the best faceting machine, dop adhesive, suppliers, etc,etc., but I do not think those should originate with the manufacturer or dealer.
When I offer test samples I am soliciting opinions...Some of these things never get to be for sale, and are never for sale when the test opinions are asked. In some cases, they do not even exist at the time. The "Mintway" was one such.

Another example was the "I want to see them make .." Thread. Them. Not just one entity. I assumed ANY/EVERY manufacturer with any curiosity, if not half a brain, would have avidly read that thread to listen to the community, and to see what people wanted.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:49 pm 

Too right. I foolishly neglected to consider the "educational forum" aspect, but it makes a lot of sense.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:56 pm 

It was not foolish. We have not often publicly encountered the dilemma!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:26 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

A dia-Z sold here as soon as they pop up in the store. :D Fingers crossed the sintereds show back up soon too

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:07 am 
Gold Member

[quote="fancyfoxgems"]

I've never tried polishing with a slurry remaining on the wheel. Do you find that a better setup in certain cases? I tend to just light to moderate charges of diamond at low to medium speeds - a smidge faster with oxides. I definitely like to run my Skyway at a good clip. I don't know if the chemo-mechanical phenomenon (through which, I believe, is how I read it works) requires a bit of heat energy input, but it seems to do the trick to run a bit fast.[/quote

I missed the question sorry. I have used a slurrey only on stones that were giving me fits.

In general I have found that with both firewarter and 13k, speed and slightly damp works best.

The problem with a slurry and speed is that you can get balls of diamnd and swarf that can leave commet trail scratches.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:29 am 
Gold Member

Gearloose wrote:
OK, most of the Tucson shipping is done, and inventory replenishment is going 7 days a week. There will be a Zinc+ run in 7-14 days. A big one.

I missed something. Are you looking at at a 3 banded lap? YEA>>>>

I guess that the other option is a greenway or a skyway insert

I had a greenway insert pop off of one of he old zinc castings. so here is a crasy idea, a set of onserts, that I can pop into the zinc pus. So I can go from greenway to diamatrix, heck to a matrix, to a skyway or creamway.

I do not think that there is any chance of doing this unless there was a way to account for minor changes in thickness.

The biggest think I have liked abut the banded laps so far is that I can prepolish and polish with no height adjustments. This is possible because you turn both of the surfaces on teh same finishing cut.

I am not sure which of the water only isnerts sells the most.

I have also not tried the skyway, but it seems that that is a canditate as well.

But if this is a dia+zinc+? how about

Any chance of getting the 8 inch 600 as an outer ring, zinc plus and then diamatrix?

but I may be missing the question. I did go back and reread the thread and do not a previous reference.

I am going to try to do the break c=facets on this k12 oval one more time. mabe the thrid ime will be the charmed one. I am begining to run out of height on the rough, so I will accept a slight overcut if it happens this time.

Anyhow. sorry if I totally missed the mark on this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:55 am 
Valued Contributor

Jon, I would certainly recommend to others the Zinc+ / Diamatrix combo. I have been using it more and more, and I like it a lot. I have recently used it on Tourmaline, Garnet and Spinel this past couple of weeks. I think it will do well in your lineup of laps.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:53 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I have been using this lap for several weeks on various synthetics (corundum, spinel, CZ, christinite etc) and naturals like the various quartzs, peridot and feldspar. I am fairly new to faceting (I have cabbed for years) and this combination lap has been extremely helpful. I have been able to toss my very unsatisfactory but cheap 1200 plates, now roughly preform and then go from a 600 sintered on to the banded Zinc+ with Firewater for a final tweak and then cut in my very small facets right there. Its fast, the prepolish process is a breeze. For corundum (all synthetic, I can not afford the natural facet quality material) I spend a bit more time on a 14K prepolish and then on to the dedicated polish diamatrix. The other rough can go right to the darkside, so to speak, for polish.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:32 pm 

Time to catch up, post Tucson shipping.

1:
Quote:
I roughed up the Z+ with some steel wool in order to get any chemical/contamination/who-knows possibly remaining from production removed from the surface and, more importantly, to ensure maximal retention of the initial diamond charge.

It is always a good practice to pre-clean a new lap, packed in cardboard that came from some warehouse someplace.

Most laps here are machined with no oils or coolants because when these are used, the fixture gets icky and greasy and when the laps are flipped to machine the backs to parallel, the laps get ugly. In addition, the oxide laps would dislike oils and greases. So we use all diamond tools, both monocrystal and PCD, that require no coolants. Besides, on some laps, anything else wears out quickly...Greenway, for example, really needs diamond. It eats High Speed Steel in a few revolutions, and ceramic and WC do not last very long either.

2: Materialswill be arriving early next week, and a web-fed bonding machine has been finished and is running. A substantial Z+ run will happen shortly, both for Tucson resupplies and for some DIA-Z+. Final prices will be calculated from the Time, Materials, and Motion study on this run. Probably be close to the old Xinquing prices, but possibly lower due to easier machining, albeit with one extra machining step.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:40 pm 

The DIA-Z+ 8" is now turned on.
The 6" version will be out in about a week.
Thank you all for your help in qualifying this new idea.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:30 am 
Gold Member

What is the sizes of the materials on the 6 inch one? I am interested in one.

when you said.

Gearloose wrote:

what else do you have in mind?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:40 am 

I meant, "Do I make it, or not?"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:15 am 
Valued Contributor

Jon please check your pm's or website messages. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next