January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: How do you store Laps?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:15 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I recently acquired a Graves Mark 5 and want to take good care of my (expensive!) laps. I'd like to store them in some kind of rack so they are easily accessible, rather than in individual shipping boxes or plastics cases that I see on line. However, I've not been able to find anything commercially available as a storage rack. Does anyone have a source for such a thing? THanks!

Greg

Post subject: Re: How do you store Laps?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:53 pm 
Gold Member

Graves sells one, but I would suggest using plastic cases in addition to the rack. An alternative is file sorting racks, available from any office supply or department store like Wal-Mart.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:46 pm 

I use a file rack from IKEA, which has 3 sliding shelves (for my go-to laps, others stored on book shelves). The coarse roughing lap on the bottom, 600 BATT in the middle, and dominatrix 3k/Matrix on the top. While that should help with cross contamination risk, I also completely agree with Al and recommend plastic lap cases too (which I use). The time to take laps in and out of the plastic cases is nothing compared to the cross contamination risk I think - get some 600 grit diamond on my 3k pre-polish lap and it's basically refinishing time for the lap, not to mention what it'll do to the stone, and that's way more of a time drag - just not worth the risk.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:40 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

THanks all. I've asked the Easter Bunny (wife) to bring me a set of plastic lap cases. I'll probably buy a desktop file holder at an office supply store to hold them upright or build something simple myself. I guess I didn't appreciate the severity of the hazards of cross contamination of laps. When I took my introductory faceting class, all the different laps were stacked in a wooden crate with no isolation from one another, so I assumed that was normal.