January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Issues with Graves Company
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:24 pm 
Established Member

I haven't been very active here in the past couple months. That's because I still haven't received my faceting machine. I ordered directly from Graves back in January and was given a due-date for the machine of February 20th. Starting the week after that, I've been calling every week asking about what was going on. If I'd been told that there were some major issues and that it would be a long time before I got my machine, I'd have been unhappy, but ultimately I'm a patient and sympathetic person, so I would have waited. Instead, I've just been getting the runaround. The first answer was that it was being sent "tomorrow," then that the mast wasn't calibrating, so it needed to be fixed and would be sent "next Monday," that being the 6th of March. I called again on the 13th, and was told it was being sent out that day. On the 21st, I was told that it was being shipped and I would have a tracking number by the end of the day. I called again on the 27th to ask about the tracking number I'd never gotten, and he sent one...which still says that UPS hasn't yet received the item. My most recent call was the 3rd of this month, when I was told that there were more problems with calibration, but now it was fixed and would be sent out "Tuesday" which I assumed to mean the 4th, but I suppose I could interpret to mean the 11th if I'm being charitable (something I'm getting tired of being.)

As I said before, I could tolerate major delays if I was just treated with honesty up front. Instead I'm forced to conclude that the gentleman I've been speaking to is either a pathological liar or has absolutely no idea what's going on. I've been holding off on taking any action thus far because I figured that it would be faster to just wait for Graves to get their mess in order than to wait for a refund, buy a machine elsewhere, and wait for them to build/ship it. I don't really think that's the case any more. I don't think I'm going to have my money stolen, but I can easily see myself trapped in this endless loop of platitudes and lies until a year has passed.

I'd like some honest opinions on what I should do. Should I start the process of getting a refund as soon as possible, should I wait for a certain amount of time before doing so, or should I just hold out on Graves finally delivering the product I paid for? If I should go for a refund, where should I look for a machine of similar quality and price to the Mark 5xl, which cost me about $2000 including the lap package. Everything I've seen has been 50-100% more than that and I frankly can't afford it.

Thanks for your time.

Post subject: Re: Issues with Graves Company
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:23 am 
Valued Contributor

That's unbelievable a company would do that, I would be raising cane by now.
What is the time limit on cancelling through your credit card if that is how you paid.
If you can't afford another machine I would at least talk to the owner of Graves tell him about the ordeal
and let him know you deserve/expect some freebies or credit for the ridiculous runaround.
Good luck I hope it turns out well for you.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:28 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

You're not the only one my friend.. I've been waiting for a month and a half for a "lap package" that graves sells on their website. The first time calling (which takes many rings since he doesn't answer emails or messages) led with me finding out that he had no idea where my order went. This was 3 weeks after the order was made. I think.. "no big deal, mistakes happen". Fast forward 3 weeks later, I once again call and am told that that they will be "shipping by the end of the day". Frustrated.. I decide to let it slide and wait for my order to arrive. 1 week.. 2 weeks.. 3 weeks go by again. So I call. He answers and says that it shipped yesterday. But didn't have an order number to give me.

Honestly, not sure what to do at this point. I'll likely cancel if the order isn't received by next week. I really don't understand how the owner expects to continue making ends meet when making these piss-poor business moves with his clientele.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:25 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

https://chargebacks911.com/everything-n ... back-rules
Looks like 120 days for a consumer.
Here is another resource:
http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/Mai ... D1005EE5C5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:17 am 
Established Member

Sadly, I paid by debit, not credit, so disputing the charge won't be as easy. Bank of America generally keeps it's hands off non-fraudulent charges and has the customer take legal action. Graves is an old and well-established manufacturer for faceting machines, so I truly don't think my money will be stolen. I'm just worried that they have an 8 month backlog of orders and that I won't be seeing my machine until October. It doesn't help that I bought directly from the manufacturer rather than through a vendor. I assume that a vendor would be able to exert more pressure to get orders on time by threatening to drop products. For all I know, I could be getting jumped in the queue by people who do have vendors fighting for them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:12 pm 
Gold Member

I would cancel the order from graves and check with other dealers who might have one in stock.

It is a good option for a machine. You are not the first that has heard the same story from graves. If you search the threads, you will find several threads. It is a shame
that they cannot seem to get their act together, or at least be honest with people.

There are several vendors who are part of this forum who have an outstanding reputation. Graves in not one of them.

I am not a dealer, and I do not want to violate forum rules by mentioning a specific one.

But if you PM me I would recommend one or two to call and see f they have one in stock.

I would still try to work with your bank to see if they will help you with a refund.

To be honest, this is one of the reasons I like a credit card or pay pal for things likehtis. I would never buy a large ticket item without some type of protection.

Even if you have to buy a prepaid credit card it is worth it.
but that is getting off track.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:03 pm 
Established Member

Apparently calling and being less patient and understanding worked. I now have a delivery scheduled for Friday morning.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:33 pm 
Valued Contributor

Cool, let us know how it goes.
I'd check the machine as well as you can and make sure he didn't ship a machine that wasn't 100% just to "get you off his back".
I hope everything is right and arrives safe on Friday.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:55 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I was going to say that WilsoninTexas is giving good advice (in fact I have never seen him give a bad piece of advice) but I see you have sorted it. Good cutting!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:14 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Best of luck! He told me last week that he finally shipped my order (waiting 2 months).. but guess what? Turns out he lied and nothing was shipped. I really hope you have better luck than I've been having with Graves.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:22 pm 
Established Member

Well I didn't get it Friday, but it was shipped when it was supposed to be. Now it's just UPS doing their usual poor job. It's currently one state away and scheduled to arrive Monday.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:03 pm 
Valued Contributor

CoreyB wrote:
Well I didn't get it Friday, but it was shipped when it was supposed to be. Now it's just UPS doing their usual poor job. It's currently one state away and scheduled to arrive Monday.

Well,...your patience is to be commended. It doesn't speak well for the Graves company to have disregarded such a classy, temperate customer. [-X Not exactly sure what I would have done in similar circumstances,...but most people who know me in person have described me as fiery. I probably would have handed their heads back to them long before this.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:31 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

Tygurrr-I wrote:
I probably would have handed their heads back to them long before this.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:53 pm 
Valued Contributor

thomas.adamas wrote:
Tygurrr-I wrote:
I probably would have handed their heads back to them long before this.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 20.75 KiB | Viewed 1209 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:10 pm 
Established Member

It arrived...and it's missing parts. Specifically the transfer jig and the control knob. I can turn it on and off with a screwdriver, but the transfer jig is REALLY important for finishing stones.