January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Does that glow in the dark?
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:35 pm 

Ok. Dumb question. Or it seems to me to be a dumb question... but maybe I'm just dumb.

I've cut a little over a dozen stone so far, the last five or so I'm actually proud of (they ain't perfect by a long stretch, but they look pretty good to me)... But they are almost too bright. Barion oval, barion square, even a simple emerald cut in (synthetic) sapphire. The reaction from people I show them too is often: does it glow in the dark? Does it light up if I press it? Seems people are so familiar with dull, lifeless stones that a stone that even a beginner cutter can produce just looks 'wrong'. The obvious response here is that I'm showing them to the wrong people...

Seriously though, is there a secret to cutting a stone that people don't look at and immediate conclude is some sort of novelty, glow in the dark gimmick? Seems to me that people almost expect a diamond to be brilliant, but anything with color to be just a colored blob.

Post subject: Re: Does that glow in the dark?
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:06 pm 
Valued Contributor

Jclimactic wrote:
The obvious response here is that I'm showing them to the wrong people...

I've spent most of my adult life as a goldsmith showing bad gems to people, and only come to cutting gemstones in the last year. Ultimately this is it, the people that you show them to that can't believe how "crazy" or "glow-y and cool" they look are not going to be the people buying them (but you should absolutely take their words as a compliment). That being said, it's a great time to explain to them that this is what gemstones should look like, and most of the stones on the market are cut like garbage. Some of those people who can't believe the way it looks will change their tune and decide it's time to start buying well produced goods instead of junky ones.

Information helps everyone!

B9 CORE
Ultratec V5 Digital

http://www.hewngoods.com

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:52 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

Gemstones cut at the proper range of angles for the refractive index and color are beautiful and impressive.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:50 pm 

PandaP wrote:
...it's a great time to explain to them that this is what gemstones should look like, and most of the stones on the market are cut like garbage. Some of those people who can't believe the way it looks will change their tune and decide it's time to start buying well produced goods instead of junky ones.

Exactly this. It's a great marketing tool to show someone a well-cut gemstone, have them freak out, and then explain that the majority of gems out there are cut like shit. It's even more impressive if you have examples of poorly-cut stones at the same time, to show a comparison between the two.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:46 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi J,

I sold the second gem I ever cut to an artist who had it set by a jeweler in Manhattan. Keep in mind, I'm a self taught faceter. My second ever stone was a mess: meets didn't meet, the girdle was all over the place, and since I didn't know any better,...I had used diamond to try and polish quartz! Didn't matter: the jeweler flipped out and gushed over how beautiful he thought the gem was. I figured that either he was used to seeing (comparatively) garbage, or that living/ working in Manhattan had given him a penchant for modern art,...and perhaps he thought the mayhem in my gem was done on purpose? ? :shock: :roll:

Custom cut gems tend to dramatically stand out amidst the others.

Enjoy the compliments! =D>

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:40 am 

Thanks everyone, at least I know it's not unusual. I just have to take the time to explain to people, and show them that it's not a one off - it's not that particular stone, it's all well cut stones.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:48 am 
Valued Contributor

Jclimactic wrote:
Thanks everyone, at least I know it's not unusual. I just have to take the time to explain to people, and show them that it's not a one off - it's not that particular stone, it's all well cut stones.

Or: you could also take credit for what you've created by declaring yourself a gem artist or something.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:56 am 
Valued Contributor

Tygurrr-I wrote:
Jclimactic wrote:

Or: you could also take credit for what you've created by declaring yourself a gem artist or something.

Yeah, this for sure. Trying to blanket it in "All things you've seen are garbage and they should all be cut like this" is a bit futile. Better to explain that all things they've seen are garbage but YOU produced beautiful work that is a *snicker* cut above the rest.

B9 CORE
Ultratec V5 Digital

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:59 am 
Valued Contributor

PandaP wrote:
Tygurrr-I wrote:
Jclimactic wrote:

Yeah, this for sure. Trying to blanket it in "All things you've seen are garbage and they should all be cut like this" is a bit futile. Better to explain that all things they've seen are garbage but YOU produced beautiful work that is a *snicker* cut above the rest.

Better yet: to achieve serendipity for all of us: describe us all as "gem artists"! You are one superlative gem artist, and the rest of us are also unique gem artists, too. All of us with a different flair. In all seriousness, is that a lie? I don't think so.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:28 pm 
Valued Contributor

Tygurrr-I wrote:
Better yet: to achieve serendipity for all of us: describe us all as "gem artists"! You are one superlative gem artist, and the rest of us are also unique gem artists, too. All of us with a different flair. In all seriousness, is that a lie? I don't think so.

Can't argue with that :D

B9 CORE
Ultratec V5 Digital

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:02 pm 

PandaP wrote:
Tygurrr-I wrote:

Can't argue with that :D

I definitely can't argue with that either :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:58 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

thomas.adamas wrote:
Gemstones cut at the proper range of angles for the refractive index and color are beautiful and impressive.

Agreed with Thomas.Adamas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:23 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I use photo's of native cut stones -vs- modern machine cut fine gemstones. The photo's are 2 of each stone, one view is what they eye see's and one view under magnification. works every time!