January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Keemoog in Bangkok
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:37 am 

Well I made it. First day of class was fine. Felt very comfortable with the material, due to this forum.
Class three hours a day. Then the rest of the day off to study (ha) and hang out by the pool. Anyone need anything from here let me know. I'll check the forum from time to time. MoDo, you should have come.
Gene Flanigan: Your stones got nice compliments from my jeweler. So thanks a lot. Gotta run to study. Take care all. Nina (Keemoog99)
Barb and Cheryl have your reference handouts. Thanks....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:12 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hi Keemoog99,

Great, I hope that your stay in bangkok will be fine. Do not hesitate to ask for my friends Dr Laurent Massi, Ho Yu and Leach from the AIGS team: Go to meet them. They will be happy to see that somebody from the gemologyonline forum has arrived.
Dr Laurent Massi will be probably able to give you the opportunity to visit the lab there...

They are nice people and will be able to help you if you need anything there.

Pass my regards to all the team at the lab in the 6th floor!

I will pass in Bangkok in May for few days and will of course pass to say hello at AIGS. Hoping to meet you there for a lunch with the students like we used to do few months ago when I was still working at the lab there.

All the best,

www.fieldgemology.org
www.conservationgemology.org

The views expressed here are V. Pardieu’s opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of GIA Laboratory Bangkok (http://www.giathai.net)where he is an employee since Dec 2008.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:09 am 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Sure, rub it in, Keemoog! :smt022

Post subject: Re: Keemoog in Bangkok
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:23 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

keemoog99 wrote:
Class three hours a day. Then the rest of the day off to study (ha) and hang out by the pool.

When you speak about the pool do you mean the pool on the roof of the JTC building?
I guess that you have found a room in the building then...
It was so nice to go to swim after a long day working!
Enjoy...

www.fieldgemology.org

The views expressed here are V. Pardieu’s opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of GIA Laboratory Bangkok (http://www.giathai.net)where he is an employee since Dec 2008.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:35 am 

vincent: where are you? someone said switzerland cause I thought I would get to me the world famous Vincent and you were no where around. Today they had the monks in for a merit making ceremony. 9 monks chanting and blessing the AIGS school, then they came by and sprinkled us with water. After that, free food for all the students. What a life.
Mary Brown is the teacher for gem id. There are 12 students, all levels of experience and schooling.
Mo Do, you would be bored, you are already more advanced. The only thing is there are thousands of stones which is really nice and all kinds of neat equipment to use.
I will go to the labs when I get the chance and I want to see the King's Golden Jubilee Diamond 500+ carats is somewhere in this building.

Vincent, I'm not staying in the bldg, I'm a couple of blocks away at a more reasonable place. 14000 baht a month. Hope to see you in May. Take care all. Nina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:59 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hi Nina,

LOL, I'm hopefully not world famous... Nobody ever stopped me in the street even in Bangkok!
My room was in the building for 14000THB a month also... and that's true I'm now working in Switzerland at the Gubelin Gem Lab but I will come in Thailand in May and will pass at AIGS to see old friends like your teacher Mary Brown...
Do you know that she also studied gemology in Burma nearly at the same period as I did?
She is very friendly and I miss the lunches we had regularly together at the British club in Silom Road...

Anyway I think that you are lucky as she love gems and her students... Please say hello to her from me!

Regarding the Golden Jubilee Diamond, I dont think that you will be able to see it: It belongs now to the King of Thailand and I heard that the King had inserted the diamond into his Royal seal... So all royal documents are possibly stamped with the world biggest cut diamond.

All the best, and may be see you in May!

www.fieldgemology.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:34 pm 

Hey Nina! How would I possibly be bored with so many gemstones around??!! And I'm sure you have much better equipment there than I have at my house :D . Perhaps some day 8) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:39 am 

the amount of gemstones are incredible. today we looked at 50-60 crystals all kinds, learning crystal systems.
The lab is open from 8:30 am to 4 pm. All the stones you could ever want to look at, test, equipment at your beck and call, nice....

Vincent, I will tell Mary you said hi and look forward to seeing you in May. When I get a little more courage I will go visit your friends at the lab and ask them for a tour.

This is the life. I am happy. Regards all. Nina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:28 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

keemoog99 wrote:
the amount of gemstones are incredible. today we looked at 50-60 crystals all kinds, learning crystal systems.
The lab is open from 8:30 am to 4 pm. All the stones you could ever want to look at, test, equipment at your beck and call, nice....

Vincent, I will tell Mary you said hi and look forward to seeing you in May. When I get a little more courage I will go visit your friends at the lab and ask them for a tour.

This is the life. I am happy. Regards all. Nina

It is nice to read you Nina, I was also very happy there with gemstones and nice gem people all around...
All the best,

www.fieldgemology.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:36 am 

Mary said to say hello and to send your email so she can contact you. She is looking forward to your visit in May.

Barbra: Mary loves your website and especially your explanations of different topics. She said you make it easy and she uses your references to help explain things when she teaches. Isn't that funny? I was talking about this forum and she brought up your site as one of the best she has seen. I told her to sign on and you two could probably exchange all kinds of nifty info. Class is out for the Water Festival 13-15 April, but we get two extra days off. Then the first test.

See you all later. Keemoog Nina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:16 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the compliment.
There is indeed a lot of information available on the rest of this website that many people overlook because they only visit the forum.
But, thanks again. :P

Post subject: AIGS
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:48 am 
Valued Contributor

keemoog99 wrote:

Sounds great, wallowing in stones; I am a "few" blocks away studying at the GIT for the FGA 6 days a week. I finish in June and am registered to take the Treatments and Synthetics course at AIGS, provided I can get an extention on my visa.

Good luck with your studies, BKK is a great place!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:16 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hi,
How the courses at GIT?
Do you know a Swiss Guy there named Walter?
All the best,

www.fieldgemology.org

Post subject: so i'm walking around the jewelry trade center....
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:22 am 

my teacher says if you want maw sit sit go see scott at american thai trading. i grab my friends from the lab and off we go to find this place and who should be there but scott of gemology online american thai fame in person.
with oodles and oodles of maw sit sit and prices so reasonable i am drooling. he says yeah i'm in a forum gemology online. i said you're kidding. what a small world. he has a great shop with all kinds of goodies and reasonable prices compared to a lot of places, and i've been in a lot of places. he also has a website. so we talked about the forum, my friends were looking at everything and oohing and ahhing. we both agreed gemology on line is great.
now you can be envious morn dove - i am in heaven and the stones don't get any better.
vincent is supposed to be showing up any day now. so what stone to buy next? so many choices so little time......later all. keemoog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:04 pm 

Keep rubbing it in, Keemoog :lol: ! Have a great time and keep us all posted :D .