A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Good Freight Forwarder USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:41 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi all,
we import certain machines from the USA on a regular basis,air freight
is getting so expensive we are increasing our order size and getting by sea freight. To achieve the best result we need a good freight forwarder in the states. Our biggest orders come from Mukilteo WA and are shipped to Sydney Australia. Theres lots to pick from in the phone book but hard from the other side of the creek to no who will give best service.
Please help again :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:29 pm 
Platinum Member

Hi Aussie,
If you're considering sea freight companies, whatever you do, stay away from the Black Pearl Shipping Co.

Although they are known for fast and efficient onside dock loading, their delivery record is horrendous. :) Arrgh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:09 pm 
Valued Contributor

Thanks JB, thats the kind of info I need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:36 am 
Gold Member

JB wrote:
stay away from the Black Pearl Shipping Co.

Although they are known for fast and efficient onside dock loading, their delivery record is horrendous. :) Arrgh

JB,

"The Black Pearl Shipping Co."? Have you been watching The Pirates of the Caribbean again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:42 am 
Gemology Online Übergod

Snizzy wrote:
JB wrote:
stay away from the Black Pearl Shipping Co.

JB,

"The Black Pearl Shipping Co."? Have you been watching The Pirates of the Caribbean again?

Yeah! I knew that sounded funny. Their delivery rate stinks because they drop off their "treasure" in a cave on a secret island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:52 am 
Established Member

My "real" job involves the manufacturing of aviation related products. We work with factories in Hong Kong, France and Brazil. While we have all shipments sent using air freight, Kuehne+Nagel has proven to be very reliable. (www.kn-portal.com). We even have several customers in Mukilteo, WA.

You might even ask the supplier who they recommend. Our Brazilian contacts were actually the ones who suggested K+N.

Now I just need to find an excuse to return to Brazil. When I'm not at the factory, you can guess what I'm doing - looking at stones!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:22 pm 

We used SDV to ship oilfield equipment from the US to West Africa. Their website says they have an agency in Australia as well. I was always very happy with both their customs clearance services and the shipping itself.

One comment that I wanted to make. It may or may not be an issue for you, and may or may not be the case where you are but: usually air freight clears customs much faster than sea freight. In West Africa it was 2-3 days for Air freight, and about a month for Ocean freight. If that is a potential problem for you, you may want to ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:22 pm 
Platinum Member

Hi Andrew,
I hope you found the proper freight forwarder -- sorry I couldn't help with that.

On the general topic of shipping can you say if there's a way to ship gems and jewelry into Australia? I've had to remove Oz from my website's list of international destinations due to your customs restrictions. Your customs regulations state that "...platinum, gold, and silver (manufactured or not); precious stones; jewelry; and other valuable articles are prohibited."

Now I know very well gems, both cut and rough, are imported into Oz. Can you tell me how it is done?

www.artcutgems.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:49 pm 
Established Member

skycritter wrote:
My "real" job involves the manufacturing of aviation related products. We work with factories in Hong Kong, France and Brazil. While we have all shipments sent using air freight, Kuehne+Nagel has proven to be very reliable. (www.kn-portal.com). We even have several customers in Mukilteo, WA.

You might even ask the supplier who they recommend. Our Brazilian contacts were actually the ones who suggested K+N.

Now I just need to find an excuse to return to Brazil. When I'm not at the factory, you can guess what I'm doing - looking at stones!

I'm familiar with K&N, but we've had trouble trying to use them from the U.S. Our parent company is U.K. based and they use them frequently. We also ship to Australia (essential oils) but mostly Airfreight. I'll ask my shipper when I go back to work and see who he would use for Ocean to Australia.

Post subject: Re: Good Freight Forwarder USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:51 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Even I am looking to find a good air or ocean freight service to export my business products to other countries, as we are planning to expand our business operations to overseas. For now, we operate locally and all our goods are shipped by the reliable Delivery services Fort Worth.