Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Authenticity of Rough Diamonds
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:48 pm 
Barbra Voltaire wrote:
Quote:
I will NOT BUY anything. Therefore no one is taking advantage of me.

But, are you taking advantage of their time, or just wasting it entirely.

Perhaps, if this is really what you are interested in, you should try to get a job with a company specializing in rough diamonds. You would have to work your way up because as of right now, you have no experience, just interest*.....

*Your interest seems to revolve around "getting rich quick" schemes with minimal personal investment.

Quote:
Any *genuine* merchant would allow it since topaz is lower than corundum. If they dont,that means its topaz.

Oh, what a silly, silly person you appear to be. :oops:

*Your interest seems to revolve around "getting rich quick" schemes with minimal personal investment.*

please enlighten me. How can i get rich without buying anything?

*Oh, what a silly, silly person you appear to be.*
no i'm not. When you buy gold from a person you dont know,do you check it first,or you just *buy* it?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:57 pm 
Raj_uk wrote:
"managed to get 5 different african sellers to come to bangkok to show their goods to me"

a long way to travel just for a show n tell.
That would piss me right off if one of my clients treated me such.

I hope the sellers know youre not interested in buying. If not, you should certainly do them the courtesy of informing them.

i told them very clearly that i will check the authenticity of their goods first,then at the end of this year,i will make a purchase. I didnt make any verbal commitments about any purchase. Besides they have other buyers in bangkok anyway.

No one seems to understand my original topic. I doubt anyone read actually.

I DONT need anyone's *advice* or *how silly i am* or any *schemes* i might have or *if i should find myself another business venture* or *if im wasting anyone's time* or anything.This was the only platform where i got these hostile *advices*(i asked quite a few rough dealers and trade members in my connections,all helped). It looks like no one wants any newbie to enter rough diamond market(even though i wont plan to enter until im sure of myself). That was the only explanation i can find for this hostility.

I merely want to know cheaper ways to find out rough diamonds from fakes(topaz). That's it,NOTHING else. Very simple and straightforward question.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:51 pm 

myrica wrote:
No one seems to understand my original topic. I doubt anyone read actually.

Oh believe me, we've read it with fascination at least.
myrica wrote:
I DONT need anyone's *advice* or *how silly i am* or any *schemes* i might have or *if i should find myself another business venture* or *if im wasting anyone's time* or anything.

Not to be too on the nose about this, but people rarely know when they need this kind of advice. The people giving it to you are experienced and really doing their best to help you out here. We all started somewhere, and most people don't pick up much relevant experience outside of the trade. Richard Hughes (who is now a big name in the trade) has talked about his early attempts to get into the trade, which similarly involved going in without much knowledge and trying to act like he knew more and had more than he did. As you can imagine that didn't go very well. Instead it took years of work to find success.
People aren't just trying to cut you down by explaining that this trade takes a certain level of knowledge and experience. It's a minefield (so to speak), especially on the diamond side of things. That's not to say people don't make a living doing it but it isn't something that it's easy to just stumble in to. It is great that you're going to be taking some courses, but you'd do a lot better to wait until you've spent time studying and observing the trade before you try to establish serious business relationships with rough diamond dealers (having someone come out to show you, specifically, their rough is doing just that.) An example of one of these basics that you need to know is the reason a scratch test is a bad idea (which Barbra was trying to explain to you): diamond has perfect cleavage. Corundum will not scratch it, but applying point pressure to a rough diamond could cause it to break along that cleavage plane, and if that happens neither you nor the dealer are going to be very happy. It will also immediately out you as inexperienced, and whether the diamonds are genuine or not that will absolutely not help your chances of getting a good deal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:59 pm 
No Stephen,i can tell very clearly that no one read it.Because i never asked for *business* advice or anything like that.I already know the path i need to take to enter this trade,i need to know what trainings i need and so forth. This opportunity of checking roughs presented itself BEFORE i take the path,so im taking advantage of it.

*diamond has perfect cleavage. Corundum will not scratch it, but applying point pressure to a rough diamond could cause it to break along that cleavage plane*
Good point,then i will scratch corundum with the said diamond.

I'm really wondering how hard it could be the answer very simple,and very straightforward question with spot on answers.

Whats the affordable way to authenticate rough diamonds from imitation topaz?

I'm really wondering if anyone has a straightforward answer to that,because i didnt receive any so far.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

Separating topaz from diamond: Straightforward answer.
1.Visual inspection of the crystal
2. Polariscope reaction
3. Refractive Index
4. Identifying the nature of the inclusions with magnification
5. Specific Gravity

Once you ascertain the diamond xls are genuine, then what?

How would you go about determining a fair purchase price for a parcel?
Color, clarity, potential yield, identification of the crystalline habit as the various crystalline shapes of diamonds have different potential yields?

By the way,
I have thoroughly read every arrogantly ignorant word in your series of posts, reminiscent of your $10,000 Paraiba tourmaline and the red diaspore market.
How you doing with the diaspore, by the way?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:41 pm 
Thanks for the answer Barbara,thats exactly what i needed. If i could get this answer earlier,we wouldnt need to deal all of the other stuff that wasnt part of my question.

I sold red diaspore to a thai dealer.Got about %40 yield from the rough, 8ct(total 2 stones) and sold about 35 USD per ct.(about %40 margin from rough)Didnt make enough revenue to make it worthwhile from my side. Will try again when gem is more well known(with efficient marketing).

Paraiba,i sold about 6k or so(total) if i remember right.Clarity dropped the value quite a bit(also there was a cavity) and i wanted a quick buck.

*Once you ascertain the diamond xls are genuine, then what?
How would you go about determining a fair purchase price for a parcel?
Color, clarity, potential yield, identification of the crystalline habit as the various crystalline shapes of diamonds have different potential yields?*
These questions has nothing to do with what i asked originally. When i need help about these questions,i will open another topic in this forum for people who want to help.

I'm not arrogant,i just wanted a straight and clear answers for my questions, thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

OK, myrica, let me make something crystal clear.
This is an educational forum for everyone, not just you. Especially NOT just for you.
YOU do not determine the content of this platform, nor the direction a thread follows.

Your original question could have been answered by every other member participating on this site.

Participation on MY bandwidth is not a right; it is a privilege.

Since you apparently have no respect for the collective experience and knowledge of those who took the time to respond to your original jackass post, I think it is time for you to go away.

Please, take your hustle elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm 

Lol this thread was a ride.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:25 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

Myrica, I notice that you do not use your real name.
If you did, I think those who have attempted to give you advice here would have put you on their narcissistic anus list.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

I changed your name back to myrica. Trying Mert Dogan as your new username didn't work.

You were not banned,... just dismissed. If you were banned, you wouldn't have been able to join with a different name and carry on with the latest edition to your diary.

Who do you think cares about your exploits, aside from yourself?
No one.
Go away.