Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Specialty Cuts and Text
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:01 am 
Valued Contributor

To all,

If you're aware of the specialty cuts (i.e. the very flat ones that have a spider, horse, cat and use frosting to bring it out). What I'm asking is, are there any tools or easy way to create such a design with text as the object?

I have a bunch of people I work with that have gone way and above and something like a large specialty cut with words in it would be a great 'medal' that would be easy to mount with some wire and a nice ribbon. I'm not talking "War and Peace", but something like four or five letters. I know I can buy quartz crystals about an inch across (and even some ametrine I have). I think it would be a great boost or way to hand out a 'medal' as an award

I could swear I read something here or on the net about someone developing a program or set of instructions on how to create letters but I can't find it.

My thanks for any help

Faceter: When turned into a zombie, they stumble around crying "roooouuuuggghhhh"

Post subject: Re: Specialty Cuts and Text
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:03 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

I have never done it, but i would think any of the standard computer controlled glass engraving machines would work if they are using diamond tipped bits.

You may be able to do it manually by creating rubber stencils, glueing them on to your quartz piece and a Dremel tool with a diamond bit.

And of course there are amazing C-N-C 3-D stone engraving/carving machines that are either ultrasonic, or diamond bit based that can do almost anything.

http://www.zhuode.com/en/index.php

These were a popular item in Idar-Oberstein back in the 1980's. You could send a picture of someone, or an animal, car anything, and have a stone carved to an exact replica. I think the machines were made in japan at the time, but now probably in China.

Post subject: Re: Specialty Cuts and Text
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:30 am 
Valued Contributor

1bwana1,

That's a great idea. Cut a 'specialty' stone with a very shallow pavilion and then stencil it.

Thanks a bunch, the thought never crossed my mind :)

Faceter: When turned into a zombie, they stumble around crying "roooouuuuggghhhh"